Popular Tags: [View All]
Theo Peters
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I haven't Kickstarted too many games, but when I do I'm usually a "Kick it and forget it" kind of person. I don't jump in the forums and read or post comments very much, just too busy for that. But in perusing BGG, I've noticed there seems to be a lot of drama? Something about Golden Bell? I know they asked for more money for shipping because of miscalculations or something, but I haven't received mine in Canada yet so I was waiting for that before I gave that more thought. Can someone give me the Coles Notes of what's going on with the game and the issues?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Wilmer
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
threepointthed wrote:
I haven't Kickstarted too many games, but when I do I'm usually a "Kick it and forget it" kind of person. I don't jump in the forums and read or post comments very much, just too busy for that. But in perusing BGG, I've noticed there seems to be a lot of drama? Something about Golden Bell? I know they asked for more money for shipping because of miscalculations or something, but I haven't received mine in Canada yet so I was waiting for that before I gave that more thought. Can someone give me the Coles Notes of what's going on with the game and the issues?

Quick search in the updates:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1227872561/unbroken-a-s...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Comboteur "Crazed 'Beastface' Survivor" Fou
France
flag msg tools
The Orzhov welcome you. Please leave your belongings with the Obzedat. They are not yours anymore.
badge
Hi, I'm a european crested tit, and a very small punk rocker!
mbmbmbmbmb
Mostly, Golden Bell's CEO has a very inappropriate way to interact with backers, and will simply not accept to change it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Reiji Kobayashi
Japan
flag msg tools
To the best of my knowledge (which, admittedly, is spotty at best) this is what happened:

1. The original KS creator made miscalculations about shipping costs.

2. Golden Bell stepped in to handle shipping.

3. GB asked backers to increase their pledges to cover the extra fee.

4. Some of the backers made nasty comments in the KS. GB made equally nasty comments.

6. GB started using media mail to ship the game in direct violation of USPS rules.

7. Somebody alerted USPS of this violation.

8. GB started emailing certain backers, telling them to accept a refund or suffer legal consequences.

9. All hell broke loose.

As I understand it, the issues are that:

1. GB's comments are far from professional.

2. GB committed fraud by using media mail.

3. GB's use of email addresses obtained through Backer Kit and the emails themselves are deeply disturbing.

EDIT - corrected UPS to USPS. Darn acronyms.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donny Behne
United States
Fate
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
www.punchboardmedia.com/geaux-gaming/
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Pretty accurate rundown.

Laissez K wrote:

6. GB started using media mail to ship the game in direct violation of UPS rules.

7. Somebody alerted UPS of this violation.

For clarity, it's USPS (United States Postal Service), not UPS (United Parcel Service). The names are far too similar!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Jasper
United States
New Mexico
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
surprise surprise surprise
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave B
United States
Tigard
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
More like Broken.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan
United States
Oviedo
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Board gamers are a tight knit community. It's probably a bad idea to insult a customer base such as our own. Even if the customer is in the wrong, there's a still a professional level that a company should maintain.

I feel bad for the designer here.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
American in Chile
Chile
Temuco
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Laissez K wrote:
To the best of my knowledge (which, admittedly, is spotty at best) this is what happened:

Maybe, maybe not.

Someone pointed out that GB offered it elsewhere for the same low shipping.

GB stated that they've had an option on the game for several years, so it's anybody's guess when they actually "stepped in." It's been claimed that some of the art shown early in the campaign was done by GB.

According to the plaintiff in a lawsuit over a different campaign, GB's MO is to offer to help finish a project, but then own future games by that designer.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Eastwood
United States
Windham
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
badge
Chaos is a ladder
mbmbmbmbmb
Laissez K wrote:

4. Some of the backers made nasty comments in the KS. GB made equally nasty comments.

6. GB started using media mail to ship the game in direct violation of USPS rules.

8. GB started emailing certain backers, telling them to accept a refund or suffer legal consequences.

9. All hell broke loose.

3. GB's use of email addresses obtained through Backer Kit and the emails themselves are deeply disturbing.

Don't forget the duplicate shipments to backers which impacts their inventory (no idea if this impacts the designer due to lost potential sales on extra copies.

Also, the nastiness is real. Asking legitimate questions and inquiring, results in a defensive attitude. A mild example:

Does the mis-shipment of inventory mean that the designer will take a hit on future sales?

Answer(paraphrased): Stop spreading lies about us running out of inventory. Dude, not sure what you mean by "hit". Yo, designer, you wanna take a hit of somethin?

Another example from the FB forums was a discussion about feeling bad for the designer because of the "hot mess" surrounding this. Another person replies with a similar sentiment and hopes the rights are with the designer.

Answer: "We hold the rights, don't worry you can feel bad." Followed by a "burn" GIF and Mr. Burns plotting.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Byron Campbell
United States
Santa Clarita
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
That reminds me, I still haven’t received mine (US). The last update said end of July, but I know a ton of people already got theirs.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Royce Reiss
United States
Brookeville
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
kittenhoarder wrote:
That reminds me, I still haven’t received mine (US). The last update said end of July, but I know a ton of people already got theirs.

You should consider contacting Golden Bell and inquire on the status. My was shipped shortly after I asked about shipping status in mid June just after the prior expected delivery date.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Laissez K wrote:

9. All hell broke loose.

I believe this description gives the mistaken impression that the backers were nasty and then Golden Bell was nasty in return just as much. I don't know how the nastiness started, but since then Golden Bell have abused backers consistently and harshly and completely out of proportion to backers' behavior. They have also lied, threatened folks with lawsuits for no reason, threatened to contact certain people's employers, and used backerkit address data inappropriately. It's been the biggest such meltdown I've ever seen.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Mann
Canada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Laissez K wrote:

Their level of interest couldn't have had anything to do with the success of the project? (4,273% funded)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Comboteur "Crazed 'Beastface' Survivor" Fou
France
flag msg tools
The Orzhov welcome you. Please leave your belongings with the Obzedat. They are not yours anymore.
badge
Hi, I'm a european crested tit, and a very small punk rocker!
mbmbmbmbmb
usfbrown wrote:
Board gamers are a tight knit community. It's probably a bad idea to insult a customer base such as our own. Even if the customer is in the wrong, there's a still a professional level that a company should maintain.

It is 100% always wrong to insult your customer no matter what the situation.
Especially in written and public form.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Theo Peters
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Razoupaf wrote:
usfbrown wrote:

Is this on BGG? Or the Kickstarter page?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A M
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
threepointthed wrote:
Razoupaf wrote:
usfbrown wrote:

The KS page. Apparently GB was at it on BGG as well, and it got them banned.

When you're a games publisher and you get banned from this site, you know something has gone horribly, horribly wrong.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
threepointthed wrote:
Razoupaf wrote:
usfbrown wrote:

They've deleted some things from the KS page, but there might be still stuff there. The Unbroken Forums page on BGG has plenty. Look for the threads with lots of replies.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Denis P
United States
Richmond
TX
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I got the game in a math trade. I think it's an excellent game. It's very well done. A bit more "fluff" than it needs - I believe many of the stretch goals would have been better as additional content. Hopefully, you receive the game with no issues.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Laura Creighton
Sweden
Göteborg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
And nobody in Europe has it yet, correct?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Moore
Germany
March
Baden-Württemberg
flag msg tools
badge
"Playin' solitaire 'til dawn, with a deck of fifty-one."
mbmbmbmbmb
lacreighton wrote:

Nor any word on how, when or if we might.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Kanngiesser
United States
Unspecified
California
flag msg tools
We have done the impossible and that makes us mighty
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
honeyralmond wrote:

I believe this description gives the mistaken impression that the backers were nasty and then Golden Bell was nasty in return just as much. I don't know how the nastiness started, but since then Golden Bell have abused backers consistently and harshly and completely out of proportion to backers' behavior. They have also lied, threatened folks with lawsuits for no reason, threatened to contact certain people's employers, and used backerkit address data inappropriately. It's been the biggest such meltdown I've ever seen.

It very much started with backers who went ballistic over the idea that they may have to pay more in shipping due to the miscalculation by the creator.

Doesn't excuse the complete lack of professionalism on the part of GB.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Hall
United States
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
eliard wrote:
honeyralmond wrote:

It very much started with backers who went ballistic over the idea that they may have to pay more in shipping due to the miscalculation by the creator.

Trying to find the original thread/quotes but I cannot. The issues started with the original request for backers to send more money to help cover shipping. GB did claim that it was optional, but people were very questionable about the personal looking email address for Paypal.

May users were questioning the email address, which is where the first discussions came about. Then, there was a email set to GB that wasn't attacking, but was more very direct. Paraphrasing - "I am not going to send more money, send the game that I paid for".

The GB response stated that (paraphrasing again) "if you are fine getting a free game then just ignore the email". This part was what set the person off and rightfully so, its not a free game as they have paid for the game and shipping accordingly. This then continued for one or two more emails, each getting more and more negative. Then, things just continued spiraling out of control to where we are now.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Theo Peters
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dragon7507 wrote:
eliard wrote:
honeyralmond wrote:

Trying to find the original thread/quotes but I cannot. The issues started with the original request for backers to send more money to help cover shipping. GB did claim that it was optional, but people were very questionable about the personal looking email address for Paypal.

May users were questioning the email address, which is where the first discussions came about. Then, there was a email set to GB that wasn't attacking, but was more very direct. Paraphrasing - "I am not going to send more money, send the game that I paid for".

The GB response stated that (paraphrasing again) "if you are fine getting a free game then just ignore the email". This part was what set the person off and rightfully so, its not a free game as they have paid for the game and shipping accordingly. This then continued for one or two more emails, each getting more and more negative. Then, things just continued spiraling out of control to where we are now.

People be cray...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Theo Peters
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
repairmanjack wrote:
lacreighton wrote:

Nor any word on how, when or if we might.

Is there anyone else not necessarily getting their games? Like Canada?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   |