Subject: Question for Podcast rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Douglas Klipfel
United States
South Dakota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My Nephew is getting married this weekend. The couple is in their early 20's, some gaming ... enjoy Catan...

What would be a great collection of games to give to the couple included in their wedding gift.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brendan Riley
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Nos operamur, te ludere
badge
"Life is more fun if you play games." - Roald Dahl
mbmbmbmbmb
Windship2Mars wrote:
My Nephew is getting married this weekend. The couple is in their early 20's, some gaming ... enjoy Catan...

What would be a great collection of games to give to the couple included in their wedding gift.

Is this a hypothetical or a real-time question? I just ask because if it's hypothetical, I might take my time with it. If it's real time I'm inclined to PM you today.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Graves
United States
Grants Pass
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
20 somethings who enjoy Catan. This descibes my brother and sister in law, who actually asked for Catan last Christmas. I also got them Century: Spice Road as I felt it fits a casual or new gamer, yet it is still a fun game.

I am curious if they will be playing with other couples and friends or if they will be primarily gaming together. Some solid 2 player choices would be: Lost Cities, 7 Wonders Duel, and Codenames: Duet seems to get a lot of attention.

Multi-player, the already mentioned Century: Spice Road, also Pandemic, and I kind of like Mysterium for a good group game.

Just a couple ideas.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Douglas Klipfel
United States
South Dakota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
wombat929 wrote:
Windship2Mars wrote:

Is this a hypothetical or a real-time question? I just ask because if it's hypothetical, I might take my time with it. If it's real time I'm inclined to PM you today.

More of a hypothetical question. It would kind of be neat to have a "first aid kit" of board games to give as a wedding gift.

My Cousins kids are starting to get married... so It looks like a lot of weddings in my future..
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brendan Riley
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Nos operamur, te ludere
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Windship2Mars wrote:
wombat929 wrote:
Windship2Mars wrote:

More of a hypothetical question. It would kind of be neat to have a "first aid kit" of board games to give as a wedding gift.

My Cousins kids are starting to get married... so It looks like a lot of weddings in my future..

Great! If any other forum denizens want to offer their advice, I'll add it to the podcast.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Keglovitz
United States
Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
A bit “on the nose,” but a thematic wedding collection could be:
Love Letter
Welcome To...
Codenames Duet
Fairy Tale
Not Alone

All solid, light games to boot.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brendan Riley
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Nos operamur, te ludere
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
NOT ALONE as a wedding themed game. Lol.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Keglovitz
United States
Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I mean...you'd want to package it up with some other more appropriate games, but just that name in a wedding bundle is pretty great.
wombat929 wrote:
NOT ALONE as a wedding themed game. Lol.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Douglas Klipfel
United States
South Dakota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So the wedding happened this weekend and 1 gift they received did not have a name on it. When they opened it I was shocked to see it was A Game of Thrones: The Board Game (Second Edition).

I am second guessing some of my choices but here is what I ended up getting them for games.

Santorini (I had grabbed one on discount at Target so I tossed it in) 2 player game that LOOKS great set up and has an attractive box.

7 Wonders Duel The local game store (when I say local its a 2 hour drive) did not have Lost Cities so I went with 7 wonders duel. I have about 15 games in on this one and still look forward to playing it.

I wanted them to have a multi player game that I did not own so I picked up Between Two Cities. I have not played it but have seen play throughs. Hoping it works for them.

Kingdomino My wife actually picked out while at Target.

I am forgetting one .. shoot..

Of interest they received one other game as a gift. The Oregon Trail Game: Journey to Willamette Valley

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Douglas Klipfel
United States
South Dakota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I found it interesting that Oregon Trail produced the most interest from the group watching gifts being opened.

When My nephew opened it he asked me if it was any good. I paused in response because I had made a mental note to not buy it. Believe it was really swingy game.

Anyway.. The title and box had a lot of people interested in it over the games I had bought.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brendan Riley
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Nos operamur, te ludere
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Windship2Mars wrote:
I found it interesting that Oregon Trail produced the most interest from the group watching gifts being opened.

When My nephew opened it he asked me if it was any good. I paused in response because I had made a mental note to not buy it. Believe it was really swingy game.

Anyway.. The title and box had a lot of people interested in it over the games I had bought.

I played the earlier one which was very light and silly. I think this one was a bit better reviewed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Douglas Klipfel
United States
South Dakota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Great Podcast on this subject.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brendan Riley
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Nos operamur, te ludere
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Windship2Mars wrote:
Great Podcast on this subject.

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Keglovitz
United States
Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Good original post idea, and I enjoyed the podcast follow-up.

Also, thanks for pronouncing my name correctly, Brendan.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brendan Riley
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Nos operamur, te ludere
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
kegz wrote:
Good original post idea, and I enjoyed the podcast follow-up.

Also, thanks for pronouncing my name correctly, Brendan.

Uh oh, I don't remember how I pronounced it. Now I'm gonna have to check back before I say it again. Welp!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls