Thumb up
 Hide
47 Posts
1 , 2  Next »   | 

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Gaming with Kids

Subject: Best games with gems and/or fairies for 6 year old rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
My 6 year old LOVES gems and also really enjoys fairies. Really she enjoys all the stereotypical girly things - rainbows, unicorns, princesses, etc. I have found a few games that have gems like Diamant, but just wondering if there's anything else good out there. And if there's anything else that you think might appeal, I'd love to hear about it!! Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark McGee
United States
Cary
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
Click to view this user's profile.
badge
Uncertainty and Innovation
mbmbmbmbmb
I play Spirits of the Wild with my 6 year old daughter. I started off without a few of the rules, and gradually introduced rules each game until now we're playing with all the rules. She likes the colorful stones, the animals on the player boards, and the coyote figure.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith Kansiewicz
United States
Bellevue
Nebraska
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Fairy Tale
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
meshnaster wrote:
I play Spirits of the Wild with my 6 year old daughter. I started off without a few of the rules, and gradually introduced rules each game until now we're playing with all the rules. She likes the colorful stones, the animals on the player boards, and the coyote figure.

I've been looking at this one! It looks really neat. I also have a 4 year old and since it's a 2 player game I was worried about how that would go leaving her out but I guess she could also be on my team. Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Klitz
United States
California
flag msg tools
Electronic Labyrinth, we have this game and it contains magic gems that need to be collected in order to win. It's a fun family type kids game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
April W
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Unicorn Glitterluck has been on my little girl's wish list for a while. She also enjoys Spirits of the Wild, though the gems are duller colors.

Edit: A quick note on Spirits of the Wild. My daughter is 4 and I give her an advantage in this game by letting her add stones to a section after she's placed a clear stone on it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cass
Australia
flag msg tools
Don't be a dick
badge
Your fun isn't wrong
mbmbmbmbmb
The Hobbit

It is full of gems. The game play isn't great, but my girls love making up their own rules and I am constantly being dragged for a bizarre game concoction.

Gems and a dragon... Girly A+

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Copeland
United States
Dedham
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Gem Rush (Second Edition) has lots of sparkly gems and is pretty easy to learn (match shapes, build rooms). Maybe an option?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
baboon baboonov
Israel
Haifa
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe Wizards Wanted?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael R.
United States
Washington
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Looks like you’re already aware of it, but I can’t recommend Splendor highly enough.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter S.
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
badge
Crystallo was recently on KS. Maybe keep an eye out for it?

Also Underlings of Underwing, maybe? It's a little complicated for 6yr, but it's cute as heck.

Dig Down Dwarf is fairly simple dice throwing, though I don't know if she'd get frustrated if she doesn't roll the numbers she needs. At the very least, with Norcia she'd get a gem even if she didn't roll what she needed (and you can always take the normal game's Cursite out).

Latice might be an option; they also recently did a KS/Indiegogo thing for a reprinting with some nice quality stuff. Just be aware that the super-cheap sets on Amazon aren't the same as the nicer boxed version (though they are from the same company, apparently just trying to make ends meet).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Young
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Century: Golem Edition
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Stanton
England
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Soleia wrote:
Unicorn Glitterluck has been on my little girl's wish list for a while.

It's ideal for the 3-8 bracket. Particularly if pink, sparkly gems & unicorns are your thing.
Very basic roll & move with only 2 spaces needing any sort of decision.
It's good for teaching taking turns & especially for counting

It's racked up over 100 plays in the 2 1/2 years we've owned it
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shane Phillips
United States
Williamsburg
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dragonstone Mine was popular with my son at that age.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Cox
Australia
Petersham
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Its not the best game but Karuba has gold and diamond shaped pieces.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh
United States
flag msg tools
Competence- It's like a whole new form of cheating!
badge
Snob of the People
mbmbmbmbmb
Disney Fairies: Magical Flower Garden Game

We found this at a garage sale. I’d consider it to be as much a playset as a game, but my kids have played the snot out of it for years. I now see that there is an entire line of Disney Fairies games. A mission for eBay, I’d imagine.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kailey O
United States
ASHLAND
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Goblins Drool, Fairies Rule! is one my 5 year old loves. The fairy art is adorable, and the adults actually enjoy the gameplay as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Logan Hallfin
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Gems!

The Wizard Always Wins
Splendor
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Smith
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mb
My (very precocious) four-year-old niece loves Sleeping Queens. It's stereotypically girly -- there are queens, after all -- but the characters are more Queen Ladybug and Pancake Queen rather than Princess Sparkles. The game itself was invented by a little girl and involves memory and some light strategy -- check it out!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kirk Roberts
United States
Jonesborough (will trade by mail)
TN
flag msg tools
badge
Flakespeare wrote:
My (very precocious) four-year-old niece loves Sleeping Queens. It's stereotypically girly -- there are queens, after all -- but the characters are more Queen Ladybug and Pancake Queen rather than Princess Sparkles. The game itself was invented by a little girl and involves memory and some light strategy -- check it out!
I was going to add this despite it not having gems or fairies. Excellent "fairy tale" feel, the art is really cute and the gameplay won't make you want to die a quick death.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J. Riddell
United States
Webster
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs: A Gemstone Mining Game

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
PA Jacques
Canada
Rouyn-noranda
QC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
My little scythe is hiny and cute and has diamonds and apple!

My 6yo and 8yo loves it and i like it enough to play it too
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kirk Roberts
United States
Jonesborough (will trade by mail)
TN
flag msg tools
badge
meshnaster wrote:
I play Spirits of the Wild with my 6 year old daughter. I started off without a few of the rules, and gradually introduced rules each game until now we're playing with all the rules.
I would love to know how you staged the gradual introduction of the rules, if you're willing to share.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark McGee
United States
Cary
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
Click to view this user's profile.
badge
Uncertainty and Innovation
mbmbmbmbmb
kirkroberts wrote:
meshnaster wrote:
I play Spirits of the Wild with my 6 year old daughter. I started off without a few of the rules, and gradually introduced rules each game until now we're playing with all the rules.
I would love to know how you staged the gradual introduction of the rules, if you're willing to share.

At the beginning, I didn't have the stacks of spirit cards that you get to use when you flip all your cards face-up. When you flip your cards face-up, that's just your whole turn. This makes the game much more consistent without any special exceptions, and that's the hardest part for my kids to remember. This was the last rule I introduced, probably on the 4th game.

I think I also didn't use the coyote in the first game (which makes the ADD 3 STONES MOVE COYOTE card really bad), and then in the second or third game I introduced it the first time the card was flipped.

For the spirit stones, I didn't mention what they do until one comes out, but definitely used them game 1 since they are the prettiest stones.

Now I still only use 1 stack of spirit animal cards instead of the recommended 2, and otherwise I use all the rules. I do this so when we flip the card, she can read it, and when we pause the game to read, we only have to read one card.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Flakespeare wrote:

Yes we have this one and really enjoy it!! Such a good one.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   |