Hide
17 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » General Gaming

Subject: complete newbie to boardgaming rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
J Lum
msg tools
hi, i'm from australia and we don't have ANY boardgames, seriously, the only boardgames readily availiable are monopoly, game of life, cluedo, umm.. and all the others are for 3+ age groups.

now, i have recently been exposed to boardgaming world (due to my intense boredom at college), i've got

axis and allies
risk 2210
peurto rico
settlers of catan

axis and allies is usually too "complicated" to play as the setup takes quite a while and my friends just aren't very patient. they love risk and settlers of catan but peurto rico NEVER gets played due to its uncompetitive nature gameplay

now i was wondering what are some good games to buy to start me off. ones i'm interested in include

cacassone (should i buy the big box or just buy the starting one and see how i like it?)
twilight imperium (should i buy expansion along with it?, and how does starcraft fare against it?)
battlelore or heroscape
ticket to ride + 1910 expansion or ticket to ride europe?
are the other variations of catan very different and worth buying or should i invest the money on a totally diff. boardgame?
and any other games you can recommend!!

most games i would try to have a 3-5 player game, but i would like a few 2 player games.

thanks!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Dennis
United States
Covington
Louisiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't think a new gamer can go wrong with Carcassonne or Ticket to Ride (Ticket to Ride: USA 1910 is a good addition to this as well.)

I can also personally recommend BattleLore (or alternatively Memoir '44) if you want something wargame-ish that plays quicker than Axis and Allies and is tons of fun.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T. Nomad
Netherlands
Den Bosch
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Koldfoot's right: find a group and play a few games with them. Then, you can either choose something you now love, or something new you think you can bring to your new group of friends.

For me, a major consideration is also that 90% of my gaming is done with only Shenomad and myself. Keep numbers in mind when shopping.

And if you're ever in NZ, give us a ring!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kris Verbeeck
Belgium
Mol
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Power Grid and Through the Desert are two games that come to mind.

Check these games out on this site and ask your friends if they like the mechanisms (actions you take in the game).

both scale well down to just two players (through the desert is for me a 10 with two players). And Power grid shines with more people playing.

Power grid isn't considered a gateway game but the rules are easy enough.

also take in consideration the time you have to play. Can you play only for an hour or so. or can you play and are people willing to play for a couple of hours.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Senor EvilMonkey
United Kingdom
Canterbury
Kent
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Stop what you are doing and order a copy of Oltre Mare !

The trading element makes for very active player interaction and there are plenty of tough decisions to be made (you are not constantly being told what to do by the dice or cards, you control your own destiny!) but no analysis paralysis

The game is quick moving and very enjoyable and the rules are easy to grasp after just one or two rounds and has been a hit with EVERYONE I have introduced the game to so far.
Yes, even the missus!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Coon
United States
Plano
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Nexus Ops sounds like it might be a hit with your friends.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donald Dennis
United States
Pawleys Island
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Podcasts are a great resource for new gamers, and you can listen to them over your computer or any MP3 player. (Not just an iPod.) While there are many great shows out there, I'm going to suggest On Board Games instead... er... I mean "I'm going to suggest ours anywa"... no... I mean, On Board games is one of the many fine podcasts you can find relating to board games.

Episodes of On Board Games cover topics like the care and feeding of new gamers, starting a new group, and a great variety of other topics. Most board game related podcasts have game reviews.

Have fun and keep gaming!

Edit to add guild link.

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/guild/325

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Get up, get up, get up, get down, fall over.
United Kingdom
Bolton
Lancashire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Koldfoot wrote:
Heck with new games, find new friends. Start here. http://www.boardgamegeek.com/forum/46/forum/1

OR...

Update your profile to add Australia as the country. This will give you an Aussie flag by your name so everyone knows where you are from.

Then, click on the flag to get you a list of Aussie geeks. Sort this by last login and refine by city/state. You may well find some geeks very close by.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Skinner
United States
Seven Hills
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This may be on my mind simply because I recently played them, but you might want to give Shogun or China a try. Both involve a fair amount of conflict/screwage, and are great 3-5 player games. China is relatively short, whereas Shogun is longer.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marshall Miller
United States
Malden
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
The Warren is a roleplaying game about intelligent rabbits trying to make the best of a world filled with hazards, predators and, worst of all, other rabbits.
badge
Marshall is a Boston-based researcher and game designer.
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm going to second Memoir '44, and Nexus Ops. TI:3 will be beyond the time limit if axis and allies is too long for your friends. I'm going to go way out on a limb here and suggest RoboRally. It has lots of antics and incidental screwage built in. Personally, I'd go for regular Carcassonne if you're still in school. You can get the expansions and put them in the base box but you won't have to lug around "the big box."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Liljeberg
Sweden
Lerum
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I really recommend Mr. Jack. It's for 2 players only. Very easy to learn and has a high replayability.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gareth Williams
Australia
Brisbane
flag msg tools
Hi lumx, whereabouts in Australia are you from?
I live in Perth so would love to hook up for some games if possible.

I've bought most of theCarcassonne series so would recommend just the basic version first then get the expansions if you like them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mitch Willis
United States
Kathleen
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think Carcassonne and Ticket to Ride/Ticket to Ride: USA 1910 would be very good for starters. Carcassonne has the added benefit of playing well with 2 players as well. Ticket to Ride allows 2 players with their Ticket to Ride: Switzerland expansion which should be available very soon...

Off the top of my head, some games that scale well from 2 to 5 players that you might want to take a look at include To Court the King, Fairy Tale, and Ivanhoe.

Some others that you might want to look into as well:

Elfenland
Midgard
Ruse & Bruise
Thebes
Alhambra
San Juan (since your group didn't like Puerto Rico, this may go better)
Diamant (aka Incan Gold)
For Sale
Last Night on Earth: The Zombie Game

As for 2-player only games, check out the Kosmos series of 2-player games...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Eldard
United States
Burke
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Koldfoot wrote:
Heck with new games, find new friends. Start here. http://www.boardgamegeek.com/forum/46/forum/1

Koldfoot brings up a good point. If merely setting up Axis & Allies is too "complicated" for your current gaming friends, it's unlikely they'll get interested in games like Power Grid, Puerto Rico, and Taj Mahal. You ought to seek out some new gaming friends (That doesn't mean you have to abandon the current ones).

Do you live in a metropolitan area, such as Melbourne or Sydney. I know there are gamers in the Melbourne area; there was once a game club there called Billabong Gamers, and I'm sure some of its members are still around.

But introducing Euro-games to your current group will apparently limit you to a handful of games, and you'll miss out on the really great stuff.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Lum
msg tools
OOH thanks for all the comments guys, really helpful!
haha, i'm currently doing uni in newcastle actually, but am a sydney person so i go both ways. unfortunately i'm quite busy just in general so i'm only able to play when i hav some spare time rather than setting certain days just for boardgames (lots of work with uni, bad time management)

i've come up with a list that i'm quite interested in, are there any that you guys would say no to?
the games i'm buying are mainly for 3-5 player games, but i don't mind haveing a few 2 player games for the coming summer holidays

axis and allies pacific (is this pretty much the same as the original one, or is it very different that's it feels like a new game?)
battleline
battle lore
shogun
taj mahal
through the desert
ticket to ride (which version should i get? europe or just the normal one with expansion added later on?)
twilight imperium
nexus ops similar to a/a?
comsic encounter

i'll probably buy 3-4 to play around with first
and i'd luv to come to one of those board game meetings, but i have quite limited experience in boardgames so not sure how it'd turn out.

cheers

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.