Popular Tags: [View All]
Chris Pieters
Canada
Waterloo
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My daughter (7 year old) recently picked this up at a yard sale. She hasn't put it down since.

The basics of this game are to roll 1 die, move around the board, and find out the necessary clues (usually all of them) to figure out who took the pet, where they took it to, and which of the 5 pets it was.

Kids don't notice many of the deterants for adults (or even teens). The playing pieces are cardboard, and board itself is just cardboard too, with a spinable set of clues attached beneath, and the clue covers don't fit very well. Also, the game is VERY simplistic, and there is a fixed number of possible solutions (24). We also had to add in a die, and use an orange pill bottle to help see the blue wording for the clues amongst the red scrambling.

However, the game also gives players choices at times (move 2 or 3, or take the bus anywhere in the town). As well, I think the deductive theme is more realistic than Clue, as a detective would probably be more likely to find out bits of advice, such as hair & eye colour, and wood vs. carpet, and building specifics (sign colours, in this case). This leaves the players to figure out which of the 6 possible kids matches the descriptions, and same with the building. Clue, on the other hand, relies on knowing what the answer ISN'T, versus what it IS in Clue Jr. I personally like these parts about it.

My children also enjoy the fact that the player names match to the 'adult' version of Clue, but with first names attached.

This game is definitely for kids, themed for/with kids, and enjoyed by mine, at least! Now, how long with that enjoyment last? Likely not indefinitely, but I'll take what we can get.

Would I recommend it at retail prices? I doubt it. But if you can get it at a yard sale, for a buck or two, and have kids between 5 and 9 years old, it could be worth it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.