David Binkley
msg tools
mb
My midlife crisis is all about Descent; playing solo (no friends) 2 hours each night or painting. I have a pretty sweet setup so I thought I’d share.
I have a couple of tackle boxes, plastic storage containers, an old ping pong table, and a custom dice box made from a picture frame from Goodwill. I even installed a new light and bought a new chair. BTW all figures painted by me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Byrd
United States
Griffin
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If I had the time, that would be me!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Binkley
msg tools
mb
Some more examples of my “storage” solution.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Franka
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Nice to see someone enjoying themselves with the whole game experience like this. This is what gaming should be about.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T
Germany
Passau
Bayern
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I certainly very much appreciate your level of geekiness. meeple

That is an innovative storage solution as well. Thank you for sharing the idea and photos of everything!

I am also still building my Descent 2nd ed. collection (I need to hurry up a bit before remaining stock is sold out). My intention is to buy all expansions and lieutenants. Probably not the heroes & monsters packs though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Binkley
msg tools
mb
I wait until my wife buys something she doesn’t need then I order something, like one lieutenant at a time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jukka-Pekka Tuominen
Finland
flag msg tools
mbmb
A car would probably be cheaper.
But I like this setup.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Buege
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Nice! I wish I would take the time to paint all my minis. I own the whole collection. So much to paint...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Binkley
msg tools
mb
It is so much to paint. I’ve found that painting relaxes me so I love to do it after a hard day at work. I’m still missing one H&M pack and I haven’t counted but I think I’m over halfway done.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Henrik Johnsson
msg tools
Sounds like me. 😅 But honestly Hoping it might catch the kids interest one day.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mlai00 Mlai00
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Stawi12 wrote:
I am also still building my Descent 2nd ed. collection (I need to hurry up a bit before remaining stock is sold out). My intention is to buy all expansions and lieutenants. Probably not the heroes & monsters packs though.
That is a grave mistake. If you are going to miss on anything, I'd say forgo the lieutenants. I'm not saying you should play with dumb tokens; you can always, always use proxy minis for the bosses.

Ofc, ideally I'd say just get the whole collection. Go all-in, or just go base. There won't be any more D2e physical components produced anyways.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lightningclaw Stormcaller
msg tools
mb
Older thread but I second Mlai00.
Lieutenants have some great miniatures (Skarn, Valyndra, Zarihell, Ardus, and more are great minis in particular) but they give you very little gameplay wise. H&M packs give you substantially more for your money, even though they aren’t great value either imho.

But if you want a “pure” 2e collection with the lieutenants, I get that. I just hope you know that they add very little in terms of gameplay content.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eternalsun Eternalsun
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Good job with the painting...I am just curious : what is your most played solo style ? Road to Legend or campaign books with app ? Cards ?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim
Canada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
David, a little late to the party here, but:

As mid-lives go, my own life would seem oddly incomplete without dungeon delving. I have a wall of this stuff down here.

I defy anyone to tell me your work here isn't a view on a life well lived.

Nicely done, and good gaming.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Binkley
msg tools
mb
Eternalsun wrote:
Good job with the painting...I am just curious : what is your most played solo style ? Road to Legend or campaign books with app ? Cards ?

Good question. I’ve mostly played Road to Legend because of how it tracks your campaign. I think some of the quests are too long and I think there are a few rules that aren’t well defined like monster interaction with doors, but generally it is the easiest to pickup and play.

I’ve played a few campaigns with RAMV and RAOV. Base RAMV is a little too easy I think and encounter objectives are a little confusing sometimes. Plus i have to track all the quest stuff. RAOV is more challenging but also more difficult to track everything that is happening.

My current favorite is the Road to Peril system from Sadgit and Painkeeper. It is more difficult and they better defined monster objectives and movement through doors and things like that.

I actually taught myself to program in C# so I created a Windows App that can play Road to Peril without printing the cards. I’m getting ready to release an update soon.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Binkley
msg tools
mb
cotgrave wrote:
David, a little late to the party here, but:

As mid-lives go, my own life would seem oddly incomplete without dungeon delving. I have a wall of this stuff down here.

I defy anyone to tell me your work here isn't a view on a life well lived.

Nicely done, and good gaming.

Thanks for your words. They are kind and appreciated.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls