United States
Arlington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Banana!
mbmbmbmbmb
Someone brought it to my attention that a copy of the beta run of Aegean Sea is listed on eBay for $400. Yuck.

To any potential buyers, I want to clear a few things up.

1) A print and play will be available in the near future (ideally mid-August)

2) If we do not print a large print run of this game, we will make it available for purchase on PoD services (GameCrafter or DriveThruCards or the like). Likely won't be cheap, because there's a lot of cards, but definitely not $400.

3) If anyone really wants to pay $400 for a copy of Aegean Sea, donate $400 to a worthy charity, send me proof of it, and I'll print a copy by hand and mail it to you.

4) I think this game is really cool. It's rough around the edges graphically obviously, and we'll refine the rules + wording on cards, but I have faith that it'll make it to market.

5) We only printed 100 copies (and they sold at $45) because we printed it all on pretty nice cardstock - a large expenditure. After shipping and whatnot, we're not running some big profit (and they come with a free copy of the final game - so each copy is probably a net loss!). It's a fun playtesting experiment, something we enjoy doing with our customers.
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nieva
Spain
flag msg tools
badge
http://xkcd.com/162/
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow, that was a quick response. And the best one I could ever imagine. Many thanks for clearing it up so fast!

You're definitely my favorite publisher, and not only for the great games, but also for this kind of things. Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy
United States
flag msg tools
Dino DNA!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Must... resist...
Spoiler (click to reveal)
scalper prices on the secondary market would balance out a little if someone were to say, reprint GtR. whistle

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Olli Juhala
Finland
Turku
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Pjandy wrote:
Must... resist...
scalper prices on the secondary market would balance out a little if someone were to say, reprint GtR. whistle

Finding someone willing to print that has never really been the issue, I think.

Also, I hope that scalping scalpy scalpington has a very bad weather whenever they holiday.

And seriously people - DO NOT BUY GAMES at that price. They are not speculative investments and no game is really worth 9x the MSRP. That's just a lie scalpers like to tell.

And big hand to Chris continuing to be one of the awesomest publishers around!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm pretty sure no one was actually going to pay $400 even before this posting.

Resellers do a service when they make limited availability products available to people who can't be where they are sold.

That said they can also take the supply away from people who would actually play the game.

I'm glad I have a friend at Gen Con who was able to buy a copy for me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Cieslik
United States
Arlington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Banana!
mbmbmbmbmb
Pjandy wrote:
Must... resist...

I know you don't mean ill, but it's really not fun to have this thrown at us all the time. There are a plethora of threads around on why this isn't feasible.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The Ars Technica article on what happened with GTR and why it can't be reprinted is pretty good.

https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2018/09/how-a-ceo-fiddled-whi...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy
United States
flag msg tools
Dino DNA!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok. Sorry.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Perreault
United States
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Chris remains the grooviest publisher in the industry and I will continue buying all his games. Especially all his Carl games
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Cieslik
United States
Arlington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Banana!
mbmbmbmbmb
Pjandy wrote:
Ok. Sorry.
No worries, just something I'm trying to nip in the bud wherever possible!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Thompson
United States
Olathe
KS
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
No way to be at GenCon but here's my $45 :D
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benja A
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm really looking forward to playing my game from Gencon!

It looks like the scalper's listing got a bid and sold for $409. Maybe it's more the draw of owning a small piece of history? I can't imagine paying that.

No matter where this game goes in the future, the first 100 copies will always be the first 100 copies. The next print run will be prettier, but it won't be 1st edition. (I'm just trying to get inside the head of someone with that kind of money to spare).

Thanks for the great response and game! I'll see you next year with my proof of purchase token
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Tix
Germany
Hamburg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not sure I completely understand this. Do you and Carl see the chance that this game won't work well in the end? Or what could possibly prevent you from producing a normal (non-PoD) print-run?

If I'm not mistaken, this is Carl's first bigger game in years? Surely enough people/fans would buy a small-ish print-run at a reasonable price (under $50).

Personally, a bigger 'Chudyk game' with historical theme would top my list of anticipated games.

However, PnP is appreciated.
(On a side note: If you produce this for real, please do a thorough research among buyers if they prefer linnen-finish. I couldn't believe you received negative feedback on the Mottainai cards...)

Thanks for all your work.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Cieslik
United States
Arlington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Banana!
mbmbmbmbmb
TimTix wrote:
I'm not sure I completely understand this. Do you and Carl see the chance that this game won't work well in the end? Or what could possibly prevent you from producing a normal (non-PoD) print-run?

If I'm not mistaken, this is Carl's first bigger game in years? Surely enough people/fans would buy a small-ish print-run at a reasonable price (under $50).

Personally, a bigger 'Chudyk game' with historical theme would top my list of anticipated games.

However, PnP is appreciated.
(On a side note: If you produce this for real, please do a thorough research among buyers if they prefer linnen-finish. I couldn't believe you received negative feedback on the Mottainai cards...)

Thanks for all your work.

Sometimes things happen during development. I'm pretty sure we'll make this thing, but if the limited print run revealed some unfixable flaw, maybe it'd take a while (or be unsolvable). I just didn't want to guarantee a print run I can't 100% guarantee. Is it very likely? Yes. Absolutely certain? No.

As for production, we will be doing our best to make it as good quality as possible.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Tix
Germany
Hamburg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
angelkurisu wrote:
I just didn't want to guarantee a print run I can't 100% guarantee. Is it very likely? Yes. Absolutely certain? No.

I see. Cool. Will try the PnP.

angelkurisu wrote:
As for production, we will be doing our best to make it as good quality as possible.

I'm certain you do. I like my copies of Innovation and Mottainai a lot.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Len S
United States
Slingerlands
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
angelkurisu wrote:

Sometimes things happen during development. I'm pretty sure we'll make this thing, but if the limited print run revealed some unfixable flaw, maybe it'd take a while (or be unsolvable). I just didn't want to guarantee a print run I can't 100% guarantee. Is it very likely? Yes. Absolutely certain? No.

Played it for the first time last night. It really has potential and I'm looking forward to some more plays. Crossing my fingers it gets the full Asmadi production because the cardstock from GameCrafter is not much better than looseleaf paper!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Abrams
United States
The Colony
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
angelkurisu wrote:
I think this game is really cool. It's rough around the edges graphically obviously, and we'll refine the rules + wording on cards, but I have faith that it'll make it to market.

This is my exact feeling after my first play. This game is REALLY cool. It needs a lot of graphical love, and good god the wording leaves a lot to be desired, but the foundation is so incredibly solid. I'm really glad to have a copy to play, and can't wait to see what it looks like after a really solid editing/design pass. Excellent stuff!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy
United States
flag msg tools
Dino DNA!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ryanabrams wrote:
angelkurisu wrote:
I think this game is really cool. It's rough around the edges graphically obviously, and we'll refine the rules + wording on cards, but I have faith that it'll make it to market.

This is my exact feeling after my first play. This game is REALLY cool. It needs a lot of graphical love, and good god the wording leaves a lot to be desired, but the foundation is so incredibly solid. I'm really glad to have a copy to play, and can't wait to see what it looks like after a really solid editing/design pass. Excellent stuff!

Awesome. I'm really excited to give it a try at some point. Personally I'm happy playing a Carl Chudyk game no matter what it looks like - looking at you, first edition of Impulse (which I love )! But pretty colors always helps get a game to the table. Where would you put it in terms of complexity/teachability compared to his other games?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Dovan
Australia
Lugarno
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
angelkurisu wrote:

1) A print and play will be available in the near future (ideally mid-August)

Hi there Chris, is there an ETA on the PnP? There's a seller here in Australia offloading it and I'm just wondering whether to jump (I'm really keen to see Chudyk's newest design) or wait.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Cieslik
United States
Arlington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Banana!
mbmbmbmbmb
PnP will be available this week.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Tix
Germany
Hamburg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
angelkurisu wrote:

Awesome. Can't wait

Also – just to be the first to have said it – this game should be abbreviated AGNC. (That's what I understood when I heard the guys from the "So very wrong about games" podcast talk about it.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Webb
United States
Emeryville
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
angelkurisu wrote:

This is great to hear. Looking forward to seeing how the different factions interact with one another.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls