1 , 2  Next »   | 

Ankh: Gods of Egypt» Forums » News

Subject: What we know so far (complied info) rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Marcelo Melo
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So, this is the info I've gathered from parsing interviews and the press release:

What we know so far:

Indirect conflict area control (unlike the brawl fest that is Blood Rage or the "civilized war" of Rising Sun)

Shorter play time than either Blood Rage or Rising Sun. - Edited

Supposed to be very luck-free.

Supposed to make you "feel" like a god, apparently each player IS a god in the game (asymmetry very likely).

Players can change the configuration of territories in the game, creating new areas.

A player can join up with the last place player on the "devotion track" for a joint victory, merging into a single god, as inspired by the story Amon-Ra(highly reminiscent of the Vagabond in Root) - Edited

Victory doesn't come from victory points (per Drive Thru Games video)

The miniatures are incredibly excessive, but as they depict gods I guess it's fitting (reminiscent of the unreleased Mezo)

Sources
Drive Thru Games minis overview: https://youtu.be/B7fFmuQRryE?t=37
Team Covenant's interview: https://youtu.be/7zV8v9kHsWw
CMON news post: https://www.cmon.com/news/cmon-announces-ankh-board-game

Here's to hoping it plays two better than Blood Rage. If anyone has anything to add, I'll edit it in here.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T Tardi
msg tools
Is there any elaboration on what indirect conflict means? I saw some cool minis like a scorpion im hoping theres some good battle conflict with that. But in terms of indirect what exactly does that mean and are there any other game examples with that kind of mechanic
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marcelo Melo
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
TardiParty wrote:
Is there any elaboration on what indirect conflict means? I saw some cool minis like a scorpion im hoping theres some good battle conflict with that. But in terms of indirect what exactly does that mean and are there any other game examples with that kind of mechanic

Not really, sadly. "Indirect conflict area control (unlike the brawl fest that is Blood Rage or the "civilized war" of Rising Sun)" is almost a straight quote from Eric Lang in the team covenant interview.

Pure speculation, I'd expect that there are still battles in the game, just not as chaotic. The monsters might provide more utility than combat strength. Probably a bigger focus on building, rather than destroying? The CMON preview mentions setting up caravans? Seems more euro-y than Blood Rage, for sure.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zoltán Dudás
Hungary
flag msg tools
Lavoisier21 wrote:
The monsters might provide more utility than combat strength. Probably a bigger focus on building, rather than destroying? The CMON preview mentions setting up caravans? Seems more euro-y than Blood Rage, for sure.

Guess better prepare for the same complaint flood regarding monsters as in Rising Sun robot

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Spike225BGG wrote:
Lavoisier21 wrote:
The monsters might provide more utility than combat strength. Probably a bigger focus on building, rather than destroying? The CMON preview mentions setting up caravans? Seems more euro-y than Blood Rage, for sure.

Guess better prepare for the same complaint flood regarding monsters as in Rising Sun robot

I hope they fix the monster being somewhat superfluous. They very much might, and with this maybe being something rather odd, who knows!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Germany
Mannheim
Deutschland
flag msg tools
cheappoison wrote:
I hope they fix the monster being somewhat superfluous. They very much might, and with this maybe being something rather odd, who knows!
They never where superfluous, neither in Blood Rage nor Rising Sun. Especially in Rising Sun, where some Monsters changed the entire game. I doubt that they will reduce Monsters in Ankh to "this has as much more force as plastic".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
roro delph
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Lavoisier21 wrote:

A player can join up with the last place player on the "devotion track" for a joint victory, merging into a single god, as inspired by the story Amon-Ra(highly reminiscent of the Vagabond in Root) - Edited

I didn't understand the same way : i thought that if you combine with another player...you will take in acount the score of the less advance player. But since there is no victory points my thinking i sprobably wrong ^^!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David -
Italy
Trieste
flag msg tools
mb
Judging from the video, miniatures are SICK.
I reeaally guess the game is going to be like 300$+ as bloodborne is...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kasey Schertenleib
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmb
sakurazuka38 wrote:
Lavoisier21 wrote:

I didn't understand the same way : i thought that if you combine with another player...you will take in acount the score of the less advance player. But since there is no victory points my thinking i sprobably wrong ^^!

There's a really good Team Covenant interview with Eric Lang where I believe he mentions that teaming up with a player means you take the lowest score between the players for your final score. That seems really interesting...

I should add the disclaimer that I'm going from memory and I watched a lot of Gen Con videos over the weekend.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M.
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
mb
It's probably not victory points as such, but rather devotion in the form of followers/units of area control. When two gods merge, they take the lower amount between the two. Just guessing of course!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Raf Cordero
United States
Bolingbrook
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I would think "indirect conflict area control" is something like Tammany Hall, though I'd expect opportunity to add/remove pieces like Corleone's Empire's job cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Patrick McGowan
Mexico
Los Mochis
Sinaloa
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Looks like CMON are trying to fight back to take their KS crown back to being the best miniature company on KS after Awaken Realms have the crown, especially with Tainted Grail and Etherfields showing incredible minis.

Competition is great for board games and it'll be great to see the Ankh KS page once it's up.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pouyan A.
United States
Mission Viejo
California
flag msg tools
mb
I hope it's asymmetrical, and I hope Lang goes back to some of the concepts that pretty much made Chaos in the Old World his greatest achievement.

I would love to see card play on regions as well, essentially adding more uniqueness to each region based on each God's ability.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
King Maple
Estonia
Tallinn
Harjumaa
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
calidoggg wrote:
I hope it's asymmetrical, and I hope Lang goes back to some of the concepts that pretty much made Chaos in the Old World his greatest achievement.

I would love to see card play on regions as well, essentially adding more uniqueness to each region based on each God's ability.

Eh what? Who - other than you - actually says that?

Eric Lang has many achievements beyond Chaos in the Old World.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pouyan A.
United States
Mission Viejo
California
flag msg tools
mb
Slashdoctor wrote:
calidoggg wrote:

It's like, just an opinion man. I said "greatest" achievement. Of course he has other great games. 4 of his games are in my personal top 10, so I'm an Eric Lang fanboy.

Also, I'm willing to bet more people than just me would say Chaos in the Old World is his best work so far.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Townshend
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Lavoisier21 wrote:
A player can join up with the last place player on the "devotion track" for a joint victory, merging into a single god

This sounds like an excellent union of theme and mechanics because:

http://www.touregypt.net/featurestories/sync.htm
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Snow
United States
New York City
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ANKH: GODS OF EGYPT
PREPUBLICATION INFO
By Chas

1. The myth trilogy series is quickly defined as having Gods, Monsters, and Warriors.

2. There are some new elements that Lang has never seen used in a game. In fact, he had to reign some of them in during testing to make the game user friendly.

3. It is shorter than earlier series games Blood Rage and Rising Sun.

4. Players directly play Gods.

5. The game is set in an age when pantheism is giving way to monotheism.

6. Gods can merge into each other!

7. Gods can change the boundaries of areas on the board during the game!

8. Combat and other elements are non-random.

9. Players will build caravans.

Nice work, Marcelo! (I had made this up before Ankh: Gods of Egypt got its own forum, and sent it out to my local pals). I'm getting Mezo in September, which I think will be on the same shelf as my Blood Rage and Rising Sun, and now Ankh. So I was just happy Lang's Third wasn't on MesoAmerica. I'm sure it will be so different from Kemet, which I also have (and Cyclades and now Seasons of Inis) that the subject won't be a problem.

The new Kickstarter is supposed to come out at the end of this year. Given that Lang is now Head of Design at CMON, I was glad to see this game announced, as I had been concerned that he'd be too busy to get to it for a while longer.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David -
Italy
Trieste
flag msg tools
mb
Thank you!!
As I said the miniatures are so sick and it looks so promising.

6. Gods can merge into each other!

I wonder if this is supposed to happen with other players or same minions of your squad

Cant wait 2021 to play it maybe

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
badge
...I paid 100 GeekGold for THIS?
mbmbmb
calidoggg wrote:
Also, I'm willing to bet more people than just me would say Chaos in the Old World is his best work so far.

Chaos in the Old World is his best work so far.

Congratulations, you've won the bet!

Lavoisier21 wrote:

Supposed to make you "feel" like a god, apparently each player IS a god in the game (asymmetry very likely).

Players can change the configuration of territories in the game, creating new areas.

Victory doesn't come from victory points (per Drive Thru Games video)

This sounds intriguing

Lavoisier21 wrote:

"Indirect conflict area control"

This sounds concerning
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Miguel Pacheco
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
Slashdoctor wrote:
calidoggg wrote:

The claim that Chaos in The Old World is Lang's best design is very common. I'm almost there, but I think I may slightly prefer Rising Sun.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Korric Morgan
United States
Holyoke
MA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I enjoyed Chaos in the Old World, but I like Rising Sun much more.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A. Gerald Fitzsimons
Ireland
flag msg tools
designer
Banker Of The Gods
badge
Designed Banker Of The Gods
mbmbmb
Quote:
Indirect conflict area control (unlike the brawl fest that is Blood Rage or the "civilized war" of Rising Sun)

I wonder will it be a little bit like El Grande.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrés Santiago Pérez-Bergquist
United States
Mountain View
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Geroid wrote:
Quote:

I wonder will it be a little bit like El Grande.

I’d argue that Chaos in the Old World is already a lot like El Grande plus special powers and combat as low-level constant attrition.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Johannes Benedikt
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dudeboy wrote:
Judging from the video, miniatures are SICK.
I reeaally guess the game is going to be like 300$+ as bloodborne is...

The miniatures were just resin-prototypes i.e. cast in brittle expensive material. The miniatures in the game will have much less detail, won't break easily and cost less to produce.

That being said, I'm very confident that this game won't be much more expensive than Rising Sun.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Conrad
Germany
Hamburg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Have some of you seen this minis in person? On the photos they seem to be very large. How large are they in comparison to the rising sun dragons or the bloodrage firesword dude?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   |