Popular Tags: [View All]
Rhonda Rettig
United States
Louisville
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Apparently the hotel (JW Marriott) misplaced an entire bag of my games. I didn't realize it until I got back home and was unloading the car. Some of the games were out of print games I got in the virtual flea market so I am pretty upset. The hotel is supposed to be looking into it and calling me back. Please send some positive vibes that the missing games are located. 😭😭😭

I know I'm missing the following for sure. Might be a few more things I'm forgetting.

Le Havre: Inland Port
Jambo w/ expansion
New York Slice
Challenge of the Superfriends
Japanese the card game: 2 copies plus expansions
Fire in the Library with fancy bits and mini-expansion
Bloxx!
Charmed and Dangerous
Cabo (in a plastic case,not original box)
Holy Grail
Saint Malo
Sorcerer & Stones
Reef and promo expansion pack

Have posted this across several FaceBook groups as well on the off chance maybe someone else received my bag and can help me in getting it returned if it was given to someone else by mistake.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Take joy from your wins; take lessons from your losses.
United States
Davidsonville
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb

I'm confused. Will hotels hold games for you? That's a feature I've never thought to ask about. (Maybe just as well if I have the same bad luck you do.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jae
United States
Bryan
TX
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sagrilarus wrote:

I'm confused. Will hotels hold games for you? That's a feature I've never thought to ask about. (Maybe just as well if I have the same bad luck you do.)

Luggage hold, most nice hotels will do that at the concierge level.
Some have rooms dedicated for the service, others just leave your stuff near the lobby. I'd check their policies before using it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Miranda Robinson
United States
Mississippi
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A few years ago, I was in the Westin. At checkout time, they held all my stuff in a storage closet (along with like 10 other people's stuff) for me to pick up later when I was ready to leave. They put little bag claim things on most stuff but not all. When I was leaving, they helped me gather it up and brought along with all my things, someone else's bag. I almost didn't even notice as I was shoving all the bags in the car. It was a coolstuff bag and I had things in at least 2 of those identical bags already, but I happened to look down and see some random kid game peeking out that I knew I had not purchased so I paused in my cramming and looked closer and realized it wasn't my bag. I could have easily left with it by complete accident, but I noticed and brought it back inside. So... yeah, hotels aren't great at keeping piles of game bags separated correctly. Someone may have went home with your bag. I hope you get it back somehow!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill
United States
Sayville
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
That sucks. Hopefully the missing games are found.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rhonda Rettig
United States
Louisville
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The hotel called again and say they have located my missing bag. I'm hoping it is actually *my* bag. I had to pay the shipping fees to get it returned to me so hopefully it shows up tomorrow and is the right stuff. I have also questioned them as to why *I* am the one paying the shipping costs since it was their mistake.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Brown
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
SandDanz wrote:
The hotel called again and say they have located my missing bag. I'm hoping it is actually *my* bag. I had to pay the shipping fees to get it returned to me so hopefully it shows up tomorrow and is the right stuff. I have also questioned them as to why *I* am the one paying the shipping costs since it was their mistake.

Glad they found your bag. Hoping it is yours!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian S
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
SandDanz wrote:

They may argue that they've now got your bag ready for collection (so end of story), but they lost it and they know that most of their guests don't live locally.

Definitely press them for the postage costs. I guess I would probably settle for sharing the cost (they pay half, you pay half), but starting point in negotiation is they pay the shipping.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Kelley
United States
Midlothian
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
Dovie'andi se tovya sagain. (It's time to toss the dice.)
mbmbmbmbmb
spanna wrote:
SandDanz wrote:

They may argue that they've now got your bag ready for collection (so end of story), but they lost it and they know that most of their guests don't live locally.

Definitely press them for the postage costs. I guess I would probably settle for sharing the cost (they pay half, you pay half), but starting point in negotiation is they pay the shipping.

Quick Google search for the past 3 years shows Gen Con is held in the same place, so assuming it is in the same location every year (I've not been, so no idea) I would let them know that you'd like to remain a customer (if you are so inclined), and see how they can help you remain so. It's a customer loyalty business to be sure, so if they have no complaints about you, then they should at least be willing to meet you halfway.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Kelley
United States
Midlothian
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
Dovie'andi se tovya sagain. (It's time to toss the dice.)
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
these posts come off as quite entitled.

I wouldn't say that my post (or some of the others' posts) was entitled, as I rarely stay in hotels (or travel, for that matter). I just know that customer loyalty is oftentimes rewarded with perks that most one-stay only plebs don't get.

Quote:
Every hotel I've seen that holds bags for customers does so as a free courtesy

I agree that this was a free courtesy, and that the OP had their bags held. I don't think they are complaining about that. But I think that like Miranda or Thomas stated, it WAS most likely a mix up with like bags from other residents.

Quote:
If I thought a whole bag filled with games had been lost, but it was then found and being returned to me, paying for (or splitting) shipping doesn't seem outrageous.

This happened to me with an airline. I had to pay to have my bags shipped, which pretty much stunk, as it was their fault, but they did provide some perks to make up for the fact that I had had a bad experience with them, and they were wanting to keep my business.

I think the hotel, if it wants to keep the OP's return business, would offer something. But I'm not saying that is in any way the responsibility of the hotel to offer anything. It is merely another possible perk that it could extend.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C M
United States
Bourne
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
I would absolutely ask the question - I've never stayed at the JW for GenCon, but it's one of the most in-demand hotels and everyone I've talked to has had good experiences with them.

The flip side there is that they're...well, one of the most in-demand hotels. They may not particularly care if this is a 'stated policy'.

Still, if you don't ask, you won't get.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rhonda Rettig
United States
Louisville
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Update...

My bag of games arrived yesterday. Everything was there as far as I remembered I was missing.

Today, the hotel security manager from the hotel called me again and said they are working on getting me a credit on the shipping charges I had to pay as a "good faith" offer. I have his name and number now to keep in touch if I need to in case the process takes too long.

So, all's well that ends well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Stetler
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Glad things worked out.

Personally, I've been overly cautious from day one (that being over two decades back at this point) of my convention travels on walking my own bags into the hotel storage area (to keep them grouped) and upon leaving checking the contents of each before I leave the lobby.

Haven't had any issues so far, but I'm a bit convinced that's at least partially due to being cautious. I have noted over the years that the chances of hotel staff actually checking your claim stubs against every bag you walk out with is spotty at best. Some diligence on guest's part is thus necessary when the hotel effectively turns the whole thing into a semi-ordered honor system.

Now getting all your bags back, intact, from the airport...that is another adventure.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Terra Mystica
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You didn't have a "this bag belongs to" tag with your name and phone number?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls