Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
J Boyes
United States
Unspecified
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In the standing tradition of my friends renaming games, Trias is now PANGEA! I am sure that if the games real name had been Pangea, we would call it "floaty dino hut." We just bought Trias and gave it a try. The players were Mike, Allen, John and myself. I had read through the rules once, and I had Mike read through the rules as well. So that I wouldn't be accused of changing the rules in the middle of the game. When I teach games I like to leave rules out until they become important. This gets people playing the game faster but it can lead to changing goalpost frustrations. So I have been having people read the rules for new games, so that there can be two people moving the goalposts for the other players.

We played twice, though not in a row. The first game had plenty of looking up the rules and I am sure that we drifted incorrectly more than a few times. The rulebook was easy to find rules and examples in, a definite benefit of having a small rule book. Allen and Mike contended on two big continents against each other, mainly because Allen decided that he needed a rival. John got kind of stuck on a single huge island that was worth a lot of points but it was nearly his only land. Beside their two island breeding brawl Allen, Mike and myself were pretty well spread out over the world. In the end Allen ended up winning by just one point.

The second game later on that night played differently. Rather than randomly doing things people were starting to try strategies that we had stumbled on the last game. We placed most of our herds too far on the edge, so things were pretty clumpy in the start. The closer to the middle you start at the easier it is to spread out and establish a foothold on the newly forming continents. It seems that placing on the edge is active, you have to build a continent yourself and placing in the middle is more reactive. you can respond to trends as the emerge. I imagine as you play with more players and the chaos factor moves up that playing more toward the middle is a good idea. In this game the south pole continent stayed together much longer than in the previous game, we were buying fewer drifts and making more dino moves. Allen and Mike ended up slugging it out again on one island. I tried to make a huge island haven for myself but ended up loosing or sharing most of it, including one three tile island that allen and I made a dubious truce on to agree to split the points. John made a huge single tile wide peninsula that ended up burning him when Mike and I encroached on it. In the end again Allen ended up winning by just one point. He is some kind of Pangea savant.

Rules that we played wrong or possibly wrong:

We allowed herds to move through filled up hexes. I know that they are supposed to be blocked now, but I don't think the game was hurt by allowing move throughs. It is expensive to move through, taking up two action points, though obviously not as expensive as having to walk around a full hex. This makes it a little easier to play offensively, with filling the hexes rules is certainly a pro defense rule. We will have to try the game with the correct rules next time we play.

I think we goofed up lakes but I'm not sure. Being at work I can't look up the rules. We allowed lakes to stay on the board, they could be drifted like any other hex, and they were scored like any other hex. They could be moved through though you couldn't end your turn on one.

Ratings: I enjoyed both games very much. I want to try it again. I think that Mike liked it a lot as he wanted to play again right away. John and Allen both enjoyed it I think, though they didn't have the same lets play again right now reaction that mike and I had. We all agree that that little dinos are really cute.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Cobb
United States
Alpharetta
Georgia
flag msg tools
Re:Session Report
The lakes are definitely supposed to come off the board before you start. They make it easier to break the continent up into islands. You drifted the lakes?!?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Boyes
United States
Unspecified
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re:Session Report
Yhea we drifted lakes, it was interesting I guess but we played it correctly after this.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.