Ken Hill
United States
WESTERVILLE
OH
flag msg tools
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Rio Grande Games is very pleased to announce the release of Puerto Rico - Deluxe Edition!

This is the first new version of the classic game released in English since 2011. This edition will feature new art and graphics. It also includes both previously released expansions.

The art and graphics are in the same style as the Limited Anniversary Edition which was released in 2011. This version also features a new cover along with updated art and graphics.

Puerto Rico Deluxe will be released on August 20, 2019. MSRP for the game is $54.95.

Details about Puerto Rico - Deluxe Edition

Q: What is included?
A: Puerto Rico – Deluxe Edition includes:
• The Puerto Rico base game
• The New Buildings expansion
• The Nobles Expansion
• New Cover and Art
• Dual-sided building tiles with alternate artwork

Q: How is this edition different from the game that is currently available?
A: The current version of Puerto Rico has been on the market since 2002 and has been virtually unchanged since that time. The limited Anniversary Edition was released in 2011.

Q: How is this edition different from the Anniversary Edition released in 2011?
A: The Anniversary Edition was a limited-edition product and will not be reprinted by Rio Grande Games. This edition shares many of the same characteristics of that edition but not all of them. The art is the same for the components but the box cover is not. This edition does not include the metal coins and special goods crates that the Anniversary Edition contained.

Q: Is the Deluxe Edition a limited-edition product?
A: No. The Deluxe Edition is not intended to be limited. There should be sufficient quantities to meet the demand. If demand exceeds the current amount, the game can be reprinted.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Snyder
United States
Fairfax
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
I'm all right. Ain't nobody worrin' 'bout me.
mbmbmbmbmb
So, will this have updated rules to correct for all the glitches that have been found through the years?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
H C
United States
Philadelphia
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dagopher wrote:
So, will this have updated rules to correct for all the glitches that have been found through the years?
Yes, this! There have been a lot of statistics to support these changes. (Ex Corn fix of -1 doubloon for any player starting with corn, and Factory/University price swap as suggested by designer of the game himself):

TropicEuro wrote:
Back in September 2010, a game-balance fix and proof that it works for the average win percentage for computer-computer games was put forward in this BGG thread: http://boardgamegeek.com/article/5473055#5473055

This rule change of any players that start with a corn plantation should start with 1 doubloon less than the players with an indigo plantation was also added to Tropic Euro (my online version of Puerto Rico) at the same time as a new challenging AI player ("CPU Hard").

The Tropic Euro public server ( www.tropiceuro.com ) has since been recording stats of all games involving at least one CPU Hard player and at least one human player, primarily so that I can monitor how the hard AI is performing in each position.

I've written some code to amalgamate all of these logged games, and here are the results just over 25,000 3-5 player games recorded between September 2010 and November 2011 on the Tropic Euro server, arranged in the following order for each position:

Average Win % / Average VP / Standard deviation of VP / Average VP behind 1st place / Standard deviation of VP behind 1st place

3 Players (7396 games)

P1: 31.3% / Avg VP: 43.0 / St dev VP: 7.36 / Avg VP behind 1st: 6.20 / St dev VP behind 1st: 6.76
P2: 32.6% / Avg VP: 43.2 / St dev VP: 7.80 / Avg VP behind 1st: 6.02 / St dev VP behind 1st: 6.68
P3: 36.1% / Avg VP: 43.9 / St dev VP: 7.48 / Avg VP behind 1st: 5.33 / St dev VP behind 1st: 6.39

4 Players (14236 games)

P1: 22.4% / Avg VP: 42.7 / St dev VP: 7.94 / Avg VP behind 1st: 7.65 / St dev VP behind 1st: 7.04
P2: 24.1% / Avg VP: 43.0 / St dev VP: 7.43 / Avg VP behind 1st: 7.39 / St dev VP behind 1st: 7.12
P3: 28.1% / Avg VP: 43.9 / St dev VP: 8.00 / Avg VP behind 1st: 6.43 / St dev VP behind 1st: 6.69
P4: 25.7% / Avg VP: 43.6 / St dev VP: 8.17 / Avg VP behind 1st: 6.74 / St dev VP behind 1st: 6.74

(Note: The Avg Win % add up to 100.3% here because a small but significant proportion of games had a tie for 1st place)

5 Players (3498 games)

P1: 15.2% / Avg VP: 40.4 / St dev VP: 8.16 / Avg VP behind 1st: 9.56 / St dev VP behind 1st: 7.66
P2: 21.7% / Avg VP: 41.6 / St dev VP: 8.28 / Avg VP behind 1st: 8.36 / St dev VP behind 1st: 7.60
P3: 22.6% / Avg VP: 42.1 / St dev VP: 8.25 / Avg VP behind 1st: 7.88 / St dev VP behind 1st: 7.36
P4: 23.4% / Avg VP: 42.6 / St dev VP: 8.56 / Avg VP behind 1st: 7.37 / St dev VP behind 1st: 6.97
P5: 17.4% / Avg VP: 41.8 / St dev VP: 8.17 / Avg VP behind 1st: 8.16 / St dev VP behind 1st: 7.09

(As above, these Average Win % figures also add up to 100.3%)

Most attention should probably be paid to the 4 player figures, which have a much greater number of samples than the other two game sizes. The average win % values here correlate well with the data for a very large number of computer-computer games (http://boardgamegeek.com/article/5473055#5473055).

For the server stats above, note in particular the near uniformity of the average and standard deviation values across all players for each game size, for both the average VP and average VP behind 1st place, which indicates well-balanced distributions of the values.

Also note that the players that start with corn still may have a slight advantage over the indigo players, certainly for the 3 and 4 player games anyway, although the advantage is minimal.

So, these stats strongly suggest the 1-coin fix corrects the game balance across a variety of different factors, and now should be considered a standard rule change for all games and tournaments in future. Hopefully Alea / Rio Grande will add this change in a future edition of the board game, along with the designer-suggested Factory/University price swap.

From https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/726020/1-coin-corn-fix-trop...

It's gotten significant enough that at Tournaments, they bid for player seating order because of the imbalance.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thuc Nguyen-Pham
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I suggest to rebalance the Nobles..
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Al
Canada
Vancouver
British Columbia
flag msg tools
Nothing to see here
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow, with a quick release date, too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Johnson
United States
Azusa
California
flag msg tools
One of Alabama 3's finest songs, especially the versions on the single this image is from...
badge
Sweet Pretty M*th*rf*ck*ng Country Acid House Music - All night long!
dagopher wrote:
"*All* the glitches"?

Care to name more than, say, two?

No edition has had the Factory/University swap or the corn "fix"; this one very, very likely won't either.

And for the vast majority of players, they are not going to be good or experienced enough at the game for either of those things to matter; for those for whom it does matter; it's trivial to implement on their own.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Conner Morlang
United States
Santa Monica / Westwood
California
flag msg tools
Go outside and play (games)!
badge
Me 10 years ago. Should I update?
mbmbmbmbmb
Great news!

I just got my version from China, so I'll have to get my $60 of enjoyment out of it before I buy this one!

Thank you, team!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul K.
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Will this box (please) use the Alea Big Box number 16 like the Anniversary Edition? It’s bad enough that the series has the same game with 2 different numbers, but locking out a number in the middle of a series behind a super-limited non-reprinted edition is icing on the cake. I don’t see any of the current Anniversary Edition owners needing this one as well, and it fulfills a similar niche.

Edit: #16, not #17

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Giovanni Ianniello
Italy
Pordenone
flag msg tools
mb
So this is basically the same version avaiable in Italy from a couple of years ago?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Driske
Scotland
Dunfermline
Fife
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
giovix93 wrote:
So this is basically the same version avaiable in Italy from a couple of years ago?
I think so, the English updated version has been delayed for years, due to some disagreement between ravens and Rio grande (what I have read). This would appear to have been resolved.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Bloody Purchase
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
designer
http://www.jasonbegy.com
badge
http://www.jasonbegy.com
mbmbmbmbmb
giovix93 wrote:
yeah, it's available in French too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamie Green
msg tools
So it’s not really deluxe, it’s catching up to base versions (French, Italian, etc) already on the market.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Jensen
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
pk2317 wrote:
Will this box (please) use the Alea Big Box number 17 like the Anniversary Edition? It’s bad enough that the series has the same game with 2 different numbers, but locking out a number in the middle of a series behind a super-limited non-reprinted edition is icing on the cake. I don’t see any of the current Anniversary Edition owners needing this one as well, and it fulfills a similar niche.
What's with the numbers?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul K.
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
splatteredbits wrote:
pk2317 wrote:
Will this box (please) use the Alea Big Box number 17 like the Anniversary Edition? It’s bad enough that the series has the same game with 2 different numbers, but locking out a number in the middle of a series behind a super-limited non-reprinted edition is icing on the cake. I don’t see any of the current Anniversary Edition owners needing this one as well, and it fulfills a similar niche.
What's with the numbers?
I was wrong, it’s actually #16.

Alea Big Box

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The wait is finally over! Now to wait for a Macao reprint ...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sidney S
Canada
flag msg tools
mb
KenH wrote:
Rio Grande Games is very pleased to announce the release of Puerto Rico - Deluxe Edition!

This is the first new version of the classic game released in English since 2011. This edition will feature new art and graphics. It also includes both previously released expansions.

The art and graphics are in the same style as the Limited Anniversary Edition which was released in 2011. This version also features a new cover along with updated art and graphics.

Puerto Rico Deluxe will be released on August 20, 2019. MSRP for the game is $54.95.

Details about Puerto Rico - Deluxe Edition

Q: What is included?
A: Puerto Rico – Deluxe Edition includes:
• The Puerto Rico base game
• The New Buildings expansion
• The Nobles Expansion
• New Cover and Art
• Dual-sided building tiles with alternate artwork

Q: How is this edition different from the game that is currently available?
A: The current version of Puerto Rico has been on the market since 2002 and has been virtually unchanged since that time. The limited Anniversary Edition was released in 2011.

Q: How is this edition different from the Anniversary Edition released in 2011?
A: The Anniversary Edition was a limited-edition product and will not be reprinted by Rio Grande Games. This edition shares many of the same characteristics of that edition but not all of them. The art is the same for the components but the box cover is not. This edition does not include the metal coins and special goods crates that the Anniversary Edition contained.

Q: Is the Deluxe Edition a limited-edition product?
A: No. The Deluxe Edition is not intended to be limited. There should be sufficient quantities to meet the demand. If demand exceeds the current amount, the game can be reprinted.

Will this version have the thicker cardboard tokens?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Axel
msg tools
mb
I honestly hope cardboard will be just like in anniversary edition.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Al
Canada
Vancouver
British Columbia
flag msg tools
Nothing to see here
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dvs08 wrote:
If it's not, then what's the point? No upgraded resources or coins and no updated cardboard? There's almost no difference from the regular edition.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David B
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dopeski wrote:
Dvs08 wrote:
If it's not, then what's the point? No upgraded resources or coins and no updated cardboard? There's almost no difference from the regular edition.
So you don’t think the expansion content and actual artwork on the tiles matters?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Al
Canada
Vancouver
British Columbia
flag msg tools
Nothing to see here
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
pfctsqr wrote:
Dopeski wrote:
Dvs08 wrote:
So you don’t think the expansion content and actual artwork on the tiles matters?
No. The artwork isn't a huge improvement and the expansion is already out (for really, really cheap, too). There's no need to go through the effort of selling my current copy of PR (with expansion) to get a version that simply has cosmetic changes (especially at a higher price tag).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Noel
United States
Unspecified
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dopeski wrote:
pfctsqr wrote:
Dopeski wrote:
Dvs08 wrote:
No. The artwork isn't a huge improvement and the expansion is already out (for really, really cheap, too). There's no need to go through the effort of selling my current copy of PR (with expansion) to get a version that simply has cosmetic changes (especially at a higher price tag).
Then this isn’t for you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Al
Canada
Vancouver
British Columbia
flag msg tools
Nothing to see here
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
n815e wrote:
Dopeski wrote:
pfctsqr wrote:
Dopeski wrote:
Dvs08 wrote:
Then this isn’t for you.
Indeed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill K
United States
Unspecified
North Carolina
flag msg tools
. . . then came the king's son, wounded, sore bestead, and weaponless, and saw the broken sword, hilt-buried in the dry and trodden sand, and ran and snatched it, and with battle shout lifted afresh, he hewed his enemy down . . .
badge
A spicebush swallowtail caterpillar that was roaming my neighborhood.
mbmbmbmbmb
I haven't played my copy in years (I find that Race for the Galaxy is even better), but my biggest issue was always with the English names on the role plaques. Our players could never keep them straight!

I suggest renaming them as follows:
Settler --> Planter or Sower or Plower.
Mayor --> Settler.
Craftsman --> Harvester. (Or Producer.)
Captain --> Shipper.

You can keep:
Prospector.
Builder.
Trader. (Or could be renamed Seller or Auctioneer, and Trading House to Selling House or Auction House.)

Because . . .
The role of the Captain gets confused with the role of the Mayor (both dealing with the arrival and departure of ships).
Craftsman doesn't really attach to the idea of harvesting goods.
Mayor often gets confused with Governor.
The role of the Settler often gets confused with that of the Mayor.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe G

California
msg tools
mb
They do this 3 months after they just released the all expansion box with no art on it. I am legit kind of upset at this because if I had known this was coming out I would have just waited.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacob Williams
United States
Carmel
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
waywardson9 wrote:
They do this 3 months after they just released the all expansion box with no art on it. I am legit kind of upset at this because if I had known this was coming out I would have just waited.
That's probably why they didn't announce it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   |