Jack t
msg tools
From what I've figured from the rules, I can basically use the corsairs to "magically transport" units from any place with a ship, to any other place with a ship.

More specifically, I could have one ship in umbar, and 3 ships scattered on the gondor shores and near rohan gap, amass a HUGE army in umbar and then just surprise the F-ck out of them whenever I do so choose? Isn't this a bit too powerful???

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan Richbourg
United States
Arlington
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
This is Kyoshi, our adopted Shiba Inu.
mbmbmbmbmb
No, in fact it is incredibly weak play. Because, it takes too many dice to get the ships in place.

Actually just mustering the Corsairs is usually a bad idea.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack t
msg tools
How so? I'm figuring 3-4 muster dies, 2-4 half army dies, and you've got a pretty good spread on the coast, able to bring in a massive army, and later reinforcements, quite a long way! And considering that mustering a corsair ship via black sails also nets you a regular unit, the net loss in unit recruitment is minimal.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan Richbourg
United States
Arlington
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
That's massive overkill, and the dice are desperately needed elsewhere. Just take the Southrons you start with and walk them up the coast. Particularly if you get to West Harondor before the Free Peoples, it's faster over land than by sea.

This game is all about using your dice in the most efficient way (if you want to win).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack t
msg tools
Yeah, but a big part of playing the shadow player is knowing that you have a lot more action dice available for mustering and moving armies than your opponent. If you get a good spread on the coast, he won't know where you're going to strike and where he should bolster his defenses.

I need to play with the expansion a few times to see how it works in an actual game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Butler
United States
Fort Walton Beach
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Why not make it so the ships can move 3 spaces instead of 2 with an army die? That would help the Shadow, who needs help in the expansion, and make Corsairs more of a challenge.

Just a thought...

Sam

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Guenther
Canada
Manitoba
flag msg tools
mbmb
chargetheguns wrote:
That's massive overkill, and the dice are desperately needed elsewhere. Just take the Southrons you start with and walk them up the coast. Particularly if you get to West Harondor before the Free Peoples, it's faster over land than by sea.

This game is all about using your dice in the most efficient way (if you want to win).

True, but these magically "trasporting ships" (can they really do that?) can SAVE die movements if you plan on moving 2 or more armies or reinforcements to costal siege battles for example.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan Richbourg
United States
Arlington
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sure. Perhaps their best feature is getting to attack Dol Amroth directly, for example before Gondor is at war. If you walk through Pelargir first, Gondor probably has time to recruit in Dol Amroth.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Per Sylvan
Sweden
STOCKHOLM
Stockholm
flag msg tools
mb
Is it enough to have 1 Ship in Umbar and 1 Ship in Dol Amroth, in order to transport 10 units directly into DA??

I'm unsure here, because we have played it that you have to have a Ship in every space that you are "shipping through" , i e one ship per space , between Umbar and Dol Amroth? What would be the correct way of playing?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Chapman
United States
Powhatan
Virginia
flag msg tools
Axis & Allies Developer and Playtester; War of the Ring Editor and Playtester
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You only have to have a ship in the Regions the Army is being moved from and to. You don't have to have one in each Region in between.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.