British Columbia
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb

Designed by Neil Zimmerer
Published by Yaquinto Publications in 1980, original price $8.00

Introduction

Subtitled "A Game of Science Fiction and Fun", this low-complexity game takes as its subject the Old Bad Science Fiction Movie. A few humans, secured in the Science Building of Central State Tech, work against time to create a trans-dimensional gate that will allow them to escape their nightmare world. Meanwhile, the irradiated and hideously mutated members of the former student body are even now bashing in the doors to stop the "Normies".

Players: two
Period: late night TV
Time scale: a few minutes per turn?
Map scale: ten yards per inch?
Unit scale: individual human, mutant or janitorial robot

Components

1 - album game box that folds out to make a 12x24" game board, with really bad cover art and a component-holding insert
1 - 4-page rules booklet
1 - reduced gameboard card, with developer's notes and alternate scenario
2 - ziplock bags for storing counters
1- sheet of 133 counters
1 - price list of Yaquinto products, dated February 1981

Counter Manifest

There is a total of 133 single-sided, double-thick, die-cut counters. There are no blanks.

Human Units (32 total) all 5/8" square, black on light blue
8 x human characters 2 x "4", 6 x "5"
24 x janitor robots 8 x "2", 16 x "3"

Mutant Units (54 total) all 5/8" square
4 x mutant leaders 4 x H4, J3: black on yellow
24 x radioactive mutants 24 x H3, J2: red on yellow
26 x ordinary mutants 26 x H3, J2: green on yellow

Game markers (47 total)
15 x wall markers 1" x 1/2", black on yellow
30 x door smashed markers 1/2" square, brown on yellow
1 x combat location marker
1 x game turn marker

This is a low-complexity game on a low-complexity though amusing subject. The night this game arrived in the mail, my eager seven-year-old son and I popped it out of the box and got right into playing it. He took the mutant side and gleefully began to smash doors in everywhere, while I tried to rally the janitor robots and defeat his groups in detail. He eventually created the Ultimate Killer Mutant Stack and shambled his way into the Tech Room, where a desperate defense by Professor Applewhite and his daughter Penny came to naught. The mutants ruled the campus! Humanity was lost! Aieee!!

Playing time is less than an hour. I think the mutants are favored to win, though there are some suggested optional rules to change play balance one way or the other. Repeat play is enhanced by the wall counters the human player places in the building before the game starts, in order to channel or divert the mutant hordes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.