BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Gaming with Kids

Subject: Game for active 3.5 y/o, ideally with dinosaurs or frogs rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Everybody!

I'm looking for a game for my niece who is 3.5 years old. This would be her first ever game. She knows all her letters, colors and single digit numbers.

She loves dinosaurs, especially velociraptors. (My brother showed her Jurassic Park, IDK why. We now pretend to be velociraptors and pack hunt.)

She also loves frogs.

Her other interests are butterflies, cooking, blanket fortbuilding, Minnie Mouse and teaparties. She's terrified of worms.

She's a very active little girl, so I think a dexterity game would be ideal. I've thought about Animal Upon Animal.

Any ideas for games specific to her age and interests ? Double points for dinosaurs. It doesn't need to be particularly interesting for adults. I just want her to have fun with it.

Thank you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
There's a great cooperative game made by Peaceable Kingdom called Dinosaur Escape. That one would be perfect for her interest and age. For some reason the BGG rating is low, but the rating is really high on Amazon. I've also played it with kids before and it was good.

For a frog game, the first one that comes to mind is Kitty Bitty. The link goes to "Kitty Bitty" but there's a version called Froggy Boogie. My kids LOVED that game. All the frogs are in the middle. One of their eyes has a frog on the bottom, the other is blank. On your turn you roll 2 dice, find the frog that matches the colours you rolled, then lift up one of the eyes. If it's a frog, you don't get to move forward because the frog saw you. If it's blank, you get to hop ahead one lilypad.

For cooking, the only one I can think of for that age is Pancake Pile-Up. Again, it has a low BGG rating for some reason but high on Amazon. It's a race to run from your plate to the box with the pancakes and butter, carrying the pancakes on your spatula back to the plate. You try to complete it before your opponent. My kids still enjoy it (4 and 6) and first played it when they were around 3 and 5.

Another dexterity type game for that age, I'd recommend Loopin' Louie.

And I'd be remiss to not mention Dinosaur Tea Party, since it combines 2 things she likes - dinosaurs and tea parties. But the age rating is for 5+ so maybe save that one for next year!

(And sidenote - you should look up the song "Backstroke Raptor" by The Story Pirates for her. It's a silly song about a velociraptor.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Wilcox
United States
Longmont
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Not quite with animals but ROBiTs is fun and easy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Laszlo Molnar
Hungary
Budapest
Hungary
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If she's active and 3.5 she might enjoy Frog Game (probably more than you do, but hey, she's just 3.5). She might also enjoy Leapin' Lily Pads. Also, Gute Freunde. SimplyFun's edition of Ribbit (the one with frogs) might be slightly too challenging right now; my smallest one started to play it at age 4 or 4 and a half.

As for dinos, the only one we met was Dino Park (it has a different themed version as well) which is a tactical dice game - my son played it before 4 but could play fine only a bit later.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geert Vanbellinghen
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This one would be difficult to find but it has an original idea and is one my kids enjoy very much. ( Youre niece seems very smart knowing all her letters at 3.5 my youngest at 4.5 isn't there yet so you could search in the database for games that are a bit above her age))

In Froschkönig Froschkönig(Frog King), players have a bag containing 18 wooden beams of different lengths. In a round, players search in through their bag, and by touch only, pull out two beams which added in length must be as near as possible from a given length shown on the board – but never longer than it. The winner for the round gets to place both beams as a part of their frog's tongue. The player who was second, gets to place the shorter of their two beams as part of their frog's tongue. The owner of the frog that first touches the princess, who is a couple of board lengths aways, with its tongue is transformed into the Frog King and wins the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T. Nomad
Netherlands
Den Bosch
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Kaixo wrote:
I just want her to have fun with it.
Good motivation.

At that age, my kids were really into Nexus Ops and YINSH. Not according to the real rules, of course. But playing with a game box 'like mummy & daddy' brought them joy, and that's the goal, isn't it?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Blumer
United States
Oshkosh
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Not quite the animals you mentioned but Go Away Monster! has been a winner for me with kids 3 to 4. Each player is pulling cardboard objects out of a bag to furnish their room with a bed, lamp, teddy bear and picture. But also there are monsters; you toss the monster saying, “Go away monster!” Short fun game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith Kansiewicz
United States
Bellevue
Nebraska
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Frogriders
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you everybody for some great suggestions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Eldard
United States
Burke
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dino Race

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Eldard wrote:

That's super cute. Even if she doesn't want to play the game itself, she'll love the dinos
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Eldard
United States
Burke
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Kaixo wrote:
Eldard wrote:

That's super cute. Even if she doesn't want to play the game itself, she'll love the dinos
Here's a young boy explaining how it is played.

https://boardgamegeek.com/video/70651/dino-race/cutest-game-...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Y P
United States
Mississippi
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Kaixo wrote:
She loves dinosaurs, especially velociraptors. (My brother showed her Jurassic Park, IDK why. We now pretend to be velociraptors and pack hunt.)
Showing Jurassic Park to a 3.5 year old? Yikes! Brother grounded from any contact with child for extended period of time as punishment

A couple recommendations:

Expedition Dino - dexterity game where you're excavating a dinosaur

A la carte - dexterity game with a cooking theme. It's super cute and is fun even for adults. The dexterity here is a bit more challenging though, so either wait a year or two or handicap the game such that she has a chance of winning (e.g. allow her to put back 1 ingredient per shake if she wants).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
MentatYP wrote:
Kaixo wrote:
Showing Jurassic Park to a 3.5 year old? Yikes! Brother grounded from any contact with child for extended period of time as punishment
Oh, she was only two when he made that decisionshake There's not much that scares her other than earth worms though. She really is a fearless and assertive child. My niece is awesome.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clay Blankenship
United States
Owens Cross Roads
AL
flag msg tools
designer
badge
That's a moray!
mbmbmbmbmb
Leapin' Lily Pads is a simple memory game with frogs (by Knizia, no less).

If she likes dice rolling and collecting dinosaurs, you could track down a copy of Dino Hunt. Not really a little kid's game, but you could help her.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls