Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: thisorthat [+] [View All]
Huckleberry Carignan
United States
Natick
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I'm thinking of investing in a war game - one with attractive add-ons. Aren't Memoir'44 and Tide Of Iron both command card driven?

What one would you suggest? Why?
What are the Pros and Cons of both when comparing them?

Tide Of Iron has some great hype, but is it really much better than Memoir'44?

Thanks,
Huckleberry

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Bigney
United States
Kingston
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ToI isn't card-driven, it just has cards; you activate units independently of card play.
ToI is a great deal more complicated than Memoir; that should be enough to give you an indication of which you'd prefer.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Ruddy
Canada
Hamilton
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
What he said...

If you want something super quick and very simple, Memoir 44.
If you want someething a little meatier, ToI.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Thompson
United States
Homewood
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You mention the word "wargame". Neither of these would be considered as such among wargamers per say.

But... of the two ToI will give you the idea of what a wargame is like more than Mem '44. If you like ToI, perhaps you could move to CC: Europe or ASLSK #1 ( with ASL being the ultimate add on WWII tactical level game).

The greatest thing about "a great deal more complicated" is that you have the BGG community to help. If you have questions, there will be answers.

So, if you do desire to dip your toes into "wargaming" I suggest ToI.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Huckleberry Carignan
United States
Natick
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
So what I get so far is:

Memoir'44:
Pros: Quick fun
Cons: Card Driven (units can not move or attack independently)

Tide Of Iron:
Pros: Not Card Driven, more complicated
Cons: Not Quick

Has anyone played both games?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gregg Prendergast
United States
Newton
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You mentioned that you're looking for a game with lots of "add ons". To date, Tide of Iron has no expansions (although the first is due for release next month). Memoir 44' has several expansions available now and another also coming out next month.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Henrik Lantz
Sweden
Uppsala
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Memoir´44 is great game, don't let the fact that is easier to understand and play than Tide of Iron trick you into thinking it is non-challenging or not a good game. The use of cards to restrict which units you can move is great! With setup, a game finishes easily in one hour and I know of very few games that manages to pack as much game into one hour as Memoir'44. Haven't played ToI, so I can't compare, but Memoir'44 is definitely a good game.

Do you want a quick and very good two-player game or a longer game where 4 players can join?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam DiRocco
United States
North Lima
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
I'm a Amateur Extra Class Ham radio Operator -- W8SDD
mbmbmbmbmb
I own and have played both games. I enjoy both games, but like ToI a bit better. It is a little heavier and takes more time to play. You can easily play 3 games of Memoir in an evening.

In Memoir you only have control of your units based on the cards you have drawn. This is somewhat of a limitation, but it does make you consider things in advance, so does become a part of your strategy.

In ToI you have control of all your units in a turn, eventually. The strategy is a bit more complex as are the rules. There are cards involved in ToI but they are more of a bonus when used then a necessity as in Memoir.

If you have a more specific question let me know.

P.S. Look for a Geekmail from me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J.L. Robert
United States
Sherman Oaks
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Follow me for wargames!
mbmbmbmbmb
I've played both.

Memoir '44 is light enough to enjoy with enough tactics to keep me entertained.

Tide of Iron is deeper and more complicated than M44, but still a far cry from hardcore wargaming.

M44 wins, hands-down, if price is a concern. $45 vs. $80 just to get started. Plus ToI takes up considerably more space on the shelf.

The figures in ToI are more detailed than those in M44, though you'll be laughed off the table with either of them at a Flames of War game.

Personally, I prefer Memoir '44. It's lightweight enough where I won't take it seriously, but will still enjoy the military tactics of the game. When I play Tide of Iron, I get frustrated, quick to hit the rules which are not intuitive for a wargamer, and keep wanting to play a real wargame afterwards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
eryn roston
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I haven't had the opportunity to play Mem 44 yet, but I have played (and greatly enjoyed Commands & Colors: Ancients and BattleLore -- both of those employ the same basic system as Mem '44.

I'm under the impression that Memoir 44 in it's basic form (ie. without any expansions) doesn't quite live up to a lot of people's expectations. That said -- it's a very popular game.

I do own Tide of Iron and I love it. ASL (even the starter kits) are a little too much for me, and I wanted something a lil meatier than what Mem '44 seemed to offer. TOI has a lot of the same choices that a more complex wargame would offer you with more chrome and streamlined rules.

I think you'd probably be safe starting with Memoir and if that doesn't quite push your buttons move on to ToI.

-E

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.