Recommend
 
 Thumb up
 Hide
35 Posts
1 , 2  Next »   | 

So, You've Been Eaten.» Forums » General

Subject: This title would be perfect... rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
United States
Decatur
Georgia
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb

... without the comma!

Gives the wrong cadence.

 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Teece
United States
Fort Myers
FL
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think it is great, seriously emphasize the pause and it sounds awesome. So... You've been eaten...
30 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Sauer
Australia
Whyalla Jenkins
South Australia
flag msg tools
badge
Heavy Euro Power
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Wretched Git wrote:

... without the comma!

Gives the wrong cadence.

But is gramatically correct.
16 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Allen Cordell
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
FSCB wrote:
Wretched Git wrote:

... without the comma!

Gives the wrong cadence.

But is gramatically correct.

Exactly. Would drive me crazy if it was grammatically incorrect.
11 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Decatur
Georgia
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
alphasixty wrote:
FSCB wrote:
Wretched Git wrote:

... without the comma!

Gives the wrong cadence.

But is gramatically correct.

Exactly. Would drive me crazy if it was grammatically incorrect.

Either way is grammatically correct.

But if you want to get into the nitty-gritty, the whole phrase is ungrammatical. "So" is meant to be a substitute for "therefore" or "hence" -- and so it makes no sense to start a sentence with it! It continues a prior statement that was never made.

But that illogic has become an accepted part of the vernacular. But since there really is no referent to the "hence," it doesn't make any sense to use a comma as if there were. Which is why it's just as good or better to say "So you've been eaten." It recognizes the reality that nothing has come before.


6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Allen Cordell
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
You still need that comma!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Decatur
Georgia
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
alphasixty wrote:
You still need that comma!
So you say!

6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Allen Cordell
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Wretched Git wrote:
alphasixty wrote:
You still need that comma!
So you say!


I mean, it just looks wrong without it! (at least to me)
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Tix
Germany
Hamburg
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
alphasixty wrote:
I mean, it just looks wrong without it! (at least to me)

This is where you lost me and I (foreign speaker) comit to believe the other guy.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kirk W
Germany
Wuppertal
Nordrhein-Westfalen
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I actually love the title with the comma. Many of us have got used to writing as we speak, and using commas to denote pauses. I assumed the author wanted readers to pause after the 'So' to add that tiny bit of tension, and then deliver the predicament, "you've been eaten." I find it far funnier with this delivery. And based on this alone I have been assuming that the author has injected a bit of humour into the game.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Tix
Germany
Hamburg
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
thecorsetmaker wrote:
Many of us have got used to writing as we speak, and using commas to denote pauses.

As long as you don't do that in German...
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
D Hall
United States
Athens
Georgia
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Wretched Git wrote:
alphasixty wrote:
You still need that comma!
So you say!


So, you say? shake
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Decatur
Georgia
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Zaltman wrote:
Wretched Git wrote:
alphasixty wrote:
You still need that comma!
So you say!


So, you say? shake
I'm glad somebody got it!

3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kim Williams
United Kingdom
St Just
Cornwall
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Wretched Git wrote:
alphasixty wrote:
FSCB wrote:
Wretched Git wrote:

... without the comma!

Gives the wrong cadence.

But is gramatically correct.

Exactly. Would drive me crazy if it was grammatically incorrect.

Either way is grammatically correct.

But if you want to get into the nitty-gritty, the whole phrase is ungrammatical. "So" is meant to be a substitute for "therefore" or "hence" -- and so it makes no sense to start a sentence with it! It continues a prior statement that was never made.

But that illogic has become an accepted part of the vernacular. But since there really is no referent to the "hence," it doesn't make any sense to use a comma as if there were. Which is why it's just as good or better to say "So you've been eaten." It recognizes the reality that nothing has come before.



So, is not just a substitute for hence or therefore.

The first line of Beowulf, in Seamus Heaney's translation, is "So." (unlike other translations which use more archaic language like 'Lo' and 'Hark').

He explains in the introduction, that the 'So' "Operates as an expression which obliterates all previous discourse and narrative and at the same time functions as an exclamation calling for immediate attention. So, 'so' it was".

If it's good enough for Beowulf...
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Roe
msg tools
TimTix wrote:
thecorsetmaker wrote:
Many of us have got used to writing as we speak, and using commas to denote pauses.

As long as you don't do that in German...

I wonder what a good german translation would be...

- Du wurdest also gefressen
- Also, du wurdest gefressen

Both doesn't sound right to me. The first one is missing the dramatic pause. Second one is a 1:1 translation
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
D Hall
United States
Athens
Georgia
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Call me Ishmael.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Decatur
Georgia
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
entwife wrote:

So, is not just a substitute for hence or therefore.

The first line of Beowulf, in Seamus Heaney's translation, is "So." (unlike other translations which use more archaic language like 'Lo' and 'Hark').

He explains in the introduction, that the 'So' "Operates as an expression which obliterates all previous discourse and narrative and at the same time functions as an exclamation calling for immediate attention. So, 'so' it was".
Heaney's poetic flight of fancy here is not the word of God. It's just a quirky idea he has. It doesn't make much sense, in any case. There's no getting around the fact that the English word "so," in any context, evokes and implies consequence, not "obliteration". It means therefore or hence -- not their opposite!

Any call to attention in an epic poem is going to sound "archaic" because we no longer write (and hardly read) epic poems that grew from an oral tradition. Heaney could have chosen "Gather around!" or "Listen, one and all!" and they would have sounded just as "archaic" to our ears as "Lo!" or "Hark!"

I doubt Heaney gives any example of an epic poem from the Middle English period or subsequent that begins with "so". I don't think there is one...


2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Tix
Germany
Hamburg
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Daargad wrote:
I wonder what a good german translation would be...

- Du wurdest also gefressen
- Also, du wurdest gefressen

Both doesn't sound right to me. The first one is missing the dramatic pause. Second one is a 1:1 translation

I wouldn't translate the "so" at all if the goal is to get a catchy title.

Du wurdest gefressen

If one wanted to translate it, one had to answer the question if this "so" means rather "then" or "thus". (If I understand that part correctly.)

So it could be...

Also wurdest du gefressen

Und dann wurdest du gefressen


I think both would be interesting titles similar to ...and then we died.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cornixt
msg tools
badge
Cheap as chips
Avatar
mbmbmb
Isn't it just a riff based on those self help pamphlets, also spoofed by The Simpsons?

1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Decatur
Georgia
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
cornixt wrote:
Isn't it just a riff based on those self help pamphlets, also spoofed by The Simpsons?


See, that's perfect! The Simpsons knows funny.

1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kim Williams
United Kingdom
St Just
Cornwall
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Wretched Git wrote:

Heaney's poetic flight of fancy here is not the word of God. It's just a quirky idea he has. It doesn't make much sense, in any case. There's no getting around the fact that the English word "so," in any context, evokes and implies consequence, not "obliteration". It means therefore or hence -- not their opposite!

Any call to attention in an epic poem is going to sound "archaic" because we no longer write (and hardly read) epic poems that grew from an oral tradition. Heaney could have chosen "Gather around!" or "Listen, one and all!" and they would have sounded just as "archaic" to our ears as "Lo!" or "Hark!"

I doubt Heaney gives any example of an epic poem from the Middle English period or subsequent that begins with "so". I don't think there is one...



The point is that Heaney chose 'so' as the modern equivalent - it's a modern translation, so using 'hark' or 'lo', would not be very much of a translation.

In modern English, people do say things like "So, what have you been up to recently?" The 'so' in that sort of sentence is really not an equivalent of hence or therefore. It's a verbal throat clearing, indicating a change of subject, or a fresh start - a 'now lets get down to business'.

For me, a 'So' followed by a good pause, is a delicious start.

You might not like it, but that is one way that the word 'so' is currently used and claiming that in all contexts it implies consequence, is just denying modern usage.
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Decatur
Georgia
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
entwife wrote:

The point is that Heaney chose 'so' as the modern equivalent - it's a modern translation, so using 'hark' or 'lo', would not be very much of a translation.
It's a poor choice for Beowulf because the modern context it evokes is one of very casual personal conversation, certainly not the one evoked by the ancient bard, who, when reciting, was acting almost as a tribal shaman or priest in summoning his hearers. Even in our time, you'll rarely hear a public speaker of the same gravity beginning with a casual "so," which, as you say, is just a clearing of the throat. In the modern context, it's like a little joke, saying, "I realize that what I'm about to say doesn't follow from what came before, but let's pretend it does."

Quote:
For me, a 'So' followed by a good pause, is a delicious start.
I get that, and it's a cromulent choice. But to many ears the comic timing is much better without that pause, as with the Simpsons gag above. "So you've ruined your life" is perfect, wheras "So, you've ruined your life" is less so.

2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kirk W
Germany
Wuppertal
Nordrhein-Westfalen
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Wretched Git wrote:

Quote:
For me, a 'So' followed by a good pause, is a delicious start.
I get that, and it's a cromulent choice. But to many ears the comic timing is much better without that pause, as with the Simpsons gag above. "So you've ruined your life" is perfect, wheras "So, you've ruined your life" is less so.


Humour is, obviously, quite subjective. I agree that the Simpsons gag was much funnier without the comma. For this game, however, I still find the use of the comma funnier
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
msg tools

What's this thing called, love?
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Decatur
Georgia
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
rilos wrote:

What's this thing called, love?
Peter, dear.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   |