Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Steve Perriam
United Kingdom
Unspecified
Devon
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Quick question about this mutant card within the Flit deck.

Playing last nite i got to a situation whereby i retreated from a fight and therefore had to start the next battle.

However the only character card i had in my hand was this mutant.

The special txt for this card says :

'I may only play this card if I have no cards in my combat and support areas. The contested element of the fight changes between Fire and Earth.'

Now i do not have any cards in my combat or support areas but neither is there a current element announced to be changed as i'm just starting a fight ?

Q : can i play this card or am i forced to discard card/s ?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Dearlove
United Kingdom
Chelmsford
Essex
flag msg tools
SoRCon 11 23-25 Feb 2018 Basildon UK http://www.sorcon.co.uk
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re:Fel-nar-Gan
can i play this card or am i forced to discard card/s ?
I believe you can play the card. The key rule is special rule 4 on page 17 of the rulebook. This permits only following part of a card's special power text, except in a special case which doesn't apply here (no dragon or retreat condition). So first we note that we can play the card, because the condition in the first sentence applies. Then we try to change element, but we can't do that because there is no element. This is not a problem however. Then the card is a STOP card so we stop there, then we announce power in either element, then we refresh hand and end turn.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Perriam
United Kingdom
Unspecified
Devon
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Dearlove (#41625),

thanks chris.

rachel said i could not play it so i had to retreat

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Dearlove
United Kingdom
Chelmsford
Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
rachel said i could not play it so i had to retreat

Actually as you described it, not retreat but discard, draw and hand over starting the fight to your opponent. And even if you can play the mutant that's what I'd do anyway. Playing the mutant gives you only one draw and unless it's a character you are lost anyway. Discard three and you're in a much healthier position.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Perriam
United Kingdom
Unspecified
Devon
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Dearlove (#41782),

thanks chris. yes missed that discarding and declining to start a fight rule !

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Dearlove
United Kingdom
Chelmsford
Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
missed that discarding and declining to start a fight rule

An important rule for digging yourself out of a hole. In fact without it if you get a hand full of boosters and supports you are absolutely stuck. There are lots of good reasons why you can invoke it even when not forced to, similarly to retreating, but here's one which may not be obvious ... if the rule was only when forced, how could your opponent tell? Only if you showed your hand, and there's no suggestion anywhere in the rules about ever having to do this (with the exception of the disclose effect - see Special Rule 8 - and there aren't many cards with that and none yet).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Dearlove
United Kingdom
Chelmsford
Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I believe you can play the card.

I can now give you a Reiner says "this is correct" to this.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.