Jayson Myers
United States
Clermont
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
Microbadge: Citizenship Recognition - Level III - Are we geeks because we gaze at the stars, or do we gaze at them because we are geeks?Microbadge: Platinum Board Game CollectorMicrobadge: Ultimate ReviewerMicrobadge: Level 11 BGG posterMicrobadge: Golden Geeklister
Please check out my Geeklist at:

https://boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/145695/purge-reviews-reco...

My video reviews can be found here:

www.youtube.com/purgereviewsboardgames

Conclusion:

Horrified is a Universal Monsters themed board game. It is a cooperative game that was published for the mass market crowd. This game has creeped into the hobby market and at the current time is a much sought after game.

This game really spoke to me based on the theme. The Universal Monsters are an IP I grew up on and most people know the Mummy and Dracula and their buddies. This game is going to have a wide appeal to many gamers. The theme is right on when you play the game. Each monster acts differently on the board (except for they will all be chasing you!) and each one is defeated in a different way. I cannot tell you how pleased I am with the monsters and the thought that went into how each monster works. For a mass market game, my mind is blown.

On top of the unique monsters, each character has a different ability and different balance to how many actions they will get. I haven't played enough to see if everything is balanced but it appears to be that way. I actually prefer some to be stronger than others so when I play with my kids I can make the game easier or harder (naturally, the different monsters accomplish this as intended).

The game is simple to play. On your turn you get X number of actions but normally you will be moving around picking up items. You always want to have items as they are your protection when you are attacked and you need items to defeat the monsters. So always have items on you!

Overall, I have to admit this game is lighter than the games I normally play. I've played this game with my son and my family and it has been a huge hit. I think the game hits its intended target very hard. If you are a fan of the Universal Monsters at all, then this is a game that I think you should track down. I am so surprised that this game came out as well as it did.

I do want to include a few things before I end the review. This isn't a hardcore deep Euro gamer game. This is a light cooperative game that is going to bring gaming to the masses with its easy to play game play and fantastic theme. This is a lighter game but an impactful game.

I HIGHLY RECOMMEND THIS GAME.

Keeper.

Components:

The components are pretty good. This is a mass market game and I will judge it as such. If this were a hobby game, then I would say the components were pretty bad.

The cards are very thin and I'm sleeving mine. They will hold up for a while, but they are super thin for my taste. The minis are fine and are different colors, but they lack details we are used to in the hobby market. The remainder of the components are very good and thick. I really like the board and the words printed on it. The standees are fine, but some have some pretty small font.

For a mass market game, I give it an A-.
For a hobby game, I would give it a C-

Rule Book:

The rule book is really, really good. We were able to read it once and be up and running. You do not need to read all the rules about all the monsters; just the ones you are playing with. The game does comes with some card sized player aids. The rule book includes plenty of pictures and examples. Excellent!

Flow of the Game:

This is just a quick over view of the rules and not intended to teach you all the rules in the game.

You will choose any of 2-4 of the monsters (each one plays differently and the more monsters used increases the difficulty).

Then each player will choose a person to play as. Each one gives you a number of actions, a special power and a different starting location.

On the majority of the turns you will move around the board and pick up items. You get a number of actions based on the character you are and these can be used however you see fit.

1. Move - to an adjacent page
2. Items - Pick up all the items in your location
3. Special ability - Each characters gives you a different ability
4. "Attack" a monster

After you have used all of your actions, then the monsters will go.

You flip over the top card of the monster deck and do what it says.

1. Add a number of items to the board (number is on the monster card and where to place it is on the item).

2. There are words that will usually move a specific monster. If it isn't in the game, then you skip it.

3. Then, there are icons at the bottom of the card. This will usually move a certain monster and have it attack with X number of dice.

If a monster attacks, you can defend it by discarding an item for each hit rolled on the dice.

Players also get perk cards which allow them to break the rules and there are NPC's that will be added to the board via the monster cards. If you take a NPC to their desired location you can get more perk cards.

The players win if they defeat all of the monsters (each monster is beaten a different way). The monsters win if the terror track gets to death (it moves up by characters and NPC dying).

Should I buy this game?:

I can recommend this for anyone looking for a Halloween themed cooperative game. This is a great game to play on Halloween with the family. The game is fairly light with most of the complexity coming from the different monsters. This is one I can easily recommend for non-gamers, lighter gamers and more specifically families. It also plays very well solo which will delight many gamers.

Keeper.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M D
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
Almost 100% agree with this review and you wrote it better than I would
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jayson Myers
United States
Clermont
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
Microbadge: Citizenship Recognition - Level III - Are we geeks because we gaze at the stars, or do we gaze at them because we are geeks?Microbadge: Platinum Board Game CollectorMicrobadge: Ultimate ReviewerMicrobadge: Level 11 BGG posterMicrobadge: Golden Geeklister
bardmedicine wrote:
Almost 100% agree with this review and you wrote it better than I would
Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeffery Hudson
United States
Washington
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: Arkham Horror fanMicrobadge: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night fanMicrobadge: I thrift for games the old-fashioned way, without artificial intelligenceMicrobadge: I'm a mark for New Japan Pro-WrestlingMicrobadge: I use Linux
Hey Jason, long time reader and i usually find myself agreeing with you. I've not played it yet but i do wonder how the game compares/contrasts to something like A Touch of Evil or Arkham Horror 3rd.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jayson Myers
United States
Clermont
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
Barronmore wrote:
Hey Jason, long time reader and i usually find myself agreeing with you. I've not played it yet but i do wonder how the game compares/contrasts to something like A Touch of Evil or Arkham Horror 3rd.
Thanks for reading. Excellent question.

This is much, much lighter. This is more designed for non gamers or intro gamers. That doesn't mean it isn't fun. This games play more like a pandemic (you get X actions to do your business and you do the same actions over and over). Part of the fun is the different monsters all change the win/lose conditions and the theme.

Touch of Evil is the worst of the three games to me. It is a game that I have had all the stuff for years, but you can tell from the lack of reviews that I don't play it much. So many other games have passed it by. TOE has more luck and digging through those decks for the right cards. It does give you a big battle at the end which Horrified does not. Horrified is more of a puzzle than TOE.

Arkham 3e (or Eldritch Horror for that matter) are much more involved games. They will likely require at least one gamer at the table and but you need more otherwise the non gamers are just along for the ride. Arkham 3e is the big boy of these three games. You have a variety in missions (and a new expansion).

Of the three, Horrified and Arkham have the most in common. I always felt these are more of the puzzle with Horrified being the lighter of the two. If you like TOE then please forgive me, but it is the lesser of the three games.

If you want a dudes on the map Horror game, then also try out Walking Dead No Sanctuary or if you want more of a minis game try Walking Dead All Out War. I would also throw Resident Evil 2 in that mix. These are much more involved games with tons of expansions.

Another good Horror themed game that is co-op (solo) and puzzle oriented is the Buffy the Vampire Slayer game from Jasco.

Heck, I think I just did a top 10!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls