Melissa
United States
Nevada
flag msg tools
I have an 8 year old daughter who is very weak physically (uses power wheelchair etc.) She is exceptionally bright and loves games and has asked for a "game Christmas" she wants mostly new games for presents. I am hoping to get suggestions for games that are fun for an 8 year old and reasonably entertaining for an adult as well.

Because of her disability she can't really play games that involve quick slap type movements or much strength, or to some degree take up too much room. For example we have Snap and it can get frustrating for her when the game gets so big she can't reach most of it.

The problem that I am having is that I've been doing a ton of research on games for this age and I am completely overwhelmed! I find many games that sound amusing and are in her age range, but I am hoping to get the opinion of some real life parents who actually own the games.

Your suggestions would be most welcome.
Thanks,
Melissa

So far I have ordered
Elfenland
Apples to Apples Junior
Qwirkle
Spectrangle
and Once Upon a Time
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Crane
United States
Orem
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Need suggestions for physically (not mentally) disabled
This list looks good.

http://boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/15404

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Cheng
United States
Catonsville
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mb
If tossing dice isn't considered as too physically demanding (I don't want to assume), I'd recommend Can't Stop. The other is Zooloretto, who doesn't like zoo and animals?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Melissa
United States
Nevada
flag msg tools
Thank you both for your suggestions!

Tossing dice is ok. Zooloretto is on a list of games I made. Had trouble finding it in stock though... It must be very popular.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JessA
United States
Southwestern
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
That's MRS. McFoxFace to you!
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Melissa, welcome!

Before I suggest anything, I'm curious:

What games does she enjoy right now? and Are you looking for two player games or games that will play more?

There is so much information here that it can be quite overwhelming, but it looks like you're off to a good start with a good assortment of games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Carlton
United States
Shawnee
Kansas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
tombaak wrote:
Thank you both for your suggestions!

Tossing dice is ok. Zooloretto is on a list of games I made. Had trouble finding it in stock though... It must be very popular.

It is. And for good reason. It's a great family game that just came out recently.

Zooloretto and Can't Stop would both be high on my list of recommendations.

I have a son who recently turned 8. He loves to play board games. Here are some of his favorites that might also work for you.

10 Days in the USA
Boomtown
Cleopatra and the Society of Architects
Dawn Under
Pick Picknic
Pete the Pirate
Sleeping Queens
Thebes
Ticket to Ride (Comes with a 1-year subscription to online version)
Winner's Circle

Good luck and I hope you all enjoy the games!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Billy McBoatface
United States
Lexington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
KGS is the #1 web site for playing go over the internet. Visit now!
badge
Yes, I really am that awesome.
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree, your list looks great, and the suggestions for Can't Stop and Zooloretto are good ones.

One question: Will the games be mostly you vs. her, or will there often be more people (another parent? siblings? friends?) playing as well? This is important, because some games aren't much fun with only 2, and others are best with 2.

If it's mostly 2 players, and holding a hand of cards is doable, then Lost Cities is fun and not too expensive; it only needs a few piles of cards between you so reaching shouldn't be an issue.

Ticket to Ride is another good one for an 8 year old, but first check out the size of the board - if it's too big, then scratch it off.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
João 'Finding a new way to make you WTF today' Marum
Portugal
Loulé
Algarve
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I would suggest any of these:

San Juan
Clans
High Society
For Sale
Bohnanza

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Uffe
Sweden
Stockholm
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
The following games can be enjoyed by almost any ages, has easy rules and doesn't require very large playing spaces:

Hey, That's My Fish!: A colourful abstract.

6 nimmt!: Everyone plays hidden cards simultaneous but speed is of no importance.

That's Life!: Roll and move with clever twists.

Pickomino: Push your luck element with dices.

-Uffe (not a parent)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Seen as dice rolling is fine, then I'd reccommend Pirate's Cove, as long as the board isn't to big.

Good card games could be For Sale, King's Breakfast, and Coloretto.

Niagara may also be a possibility, who doesn't like watching Kayaks go over the falls.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Crane
United States
Orem
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hive doesn't get too big, although the bakelite version is heavier. You could also buy the game and make a simplified cardboard version to use with your daughter, or even re-theme it to something she likes more than insects. Hey, That's My Fish! is good, but it can be a little fiddly picking up tiles. My neighbor borrowed my copy and uses a pencil with a loop of tape on one end. This speeds up setup as well, because you can smoosh the tiles all together instead of leaving a tiny space between them.

I meant to post some more suggestions earlier, but was in the midst of a work crisis which has abated, and now it's lunch time.

Here is a list for my daughter when she was four, but some of these translate well to eight year olds:

http://boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/11454

From that list, I can definitely recommend Fjords.

In terms of sorting through the firehose of data that is BGG, it might be useful to look for light, two-player games with high ratings and short playing times, then sift through those for themes that she likes. My seven year old will play [GAMEID=692Wizard Kings] and [GAMEID=14105Command and Color Ancients], but he is a great, albeit odd little dude. Odd in the sense that he is really smart about games. Not so much socially, but that's another story!

I guess it depends in part on whether "girly" themes matter to her that much.

We play Zooloretto with my seven year old daughter (the four year old in the list above) and also my three year old (with help).

http://www.kidgameratings.com/ is a good site for narrowing down your choices too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Melissa
United States
Nevada
flag msg tools
Thank you all!

There are almost always at least three playing, my husband, our daughter and myself. She has a 4 year old sister who plays or is on someone's team depending on the game. Sometimes Grandma plays too.

Games we play...

Frog Juice
Blokus
Oh What a Mountain
Mousetrap
Dragonology (I am SO not impressed this game!)
Egyptians
Horse Show
Feed the Kitty (little one loves this)
Hiss (also little one's favorite)
zooreka (Boring in my opinion)
Ker Plunk
Sorry
Moose in the House (fun maybe twice...)
Khet (this one is new and my husband and I seem to be enjoying it more than her)

She loves fantasy stuff, dragons, unicorns, wizards etc.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Cheng
United States
Catonsville
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mb
tombaak wrote:

In that case, could consider Blue Moon City. It's kind of fiddly (i.e. you have to fiddle around with some small components on the board), but someone else can do that for her so it shouldn't be a problem. The other is one may have a large hand of cards to manage. Anyway, just a thought.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
mbmb
Labyrinth plays 2-4, and it's easily adapted for shorter games and opponents of different skill levels. (4 yrs old might be pushing it, but I've played with a bright 5 year old.) Also see Beowulf's "confrontational" variant.

I really enjoy an occasional game of Ribbit with kids, too, which plays 2-5.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David G.
United States
Moorpark
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
First off, I commend you on doing research, finding us, and continuing to help us help you. You'd be surprised how many people find us, and then don't take that little bit of time to let us help them find some good games.

An unfortunate truth about buying games for kids is that you never really know what's gonna hit. That's especially true when you bring parents into the mix. This can mean some games go unplayed. But, that's not new territory to parents, most presents go unused anyhow. HOWEVER, you have a much better chance of finding a game that you and your kids can play together by asking us.

Since she's into fantasy you might want to look into Enchanted Forest. It may even be the little sister can join in. This is more of a typical 'roll and move'. Sometime we gamers forget to recommend the more basic games. Since there's memory involved it can be a nice equilizer between kids and parents, since our brains are all much from too much 80's.

Another good one might be Labyrinth. It takes a little dexterity to slide the tiles about, but not too much.

How is she on dexterity? This is a stacking game that's quick and my kids (8yo girl, 9yo boy) ask for all the time. Animal Upon Animal. It looks childish, but they did a great job making these animals really interlock. Another the 4yo could join in on.

Lastly, feel free to come hit us up again. Check back. If a game's not working ping us about it, perhaps you've got a rule wrong, or maybe we can offer a tweak. (For instance, if you find the parent winning too often in Amazing Labyrinth, you can allow the child to view more tiles at a time than the parent).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Larry Welborn
United States
Anderson
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
Clemson Tigers #1
mbmbmbmbmb
A couple of cards games you might want to consider are

No Thanks!
Circus Flohcati

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Crane
United States
Orem
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Zalasta wrote:
tombaak wrote:

In that case, could consider Blue Moon City. It's kind of fiddly (i.e. you have to fiddle around with some small components on the board), but someone else can do that for her so it shouldn't be a problem. The other is one may have a large hand of cards to manage. Anyway, just a thought.

Rack-o, Rook Deluxe and 10 Days Across the USA are great sources for card holders.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guy Riessen
United States
Sebastopol
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmb
davebo wrote:
An unfortunate truth about buying games for kids is that you never really know what's gonna hit. That's especially true when you bring parents into the mix. This can mean some games go unplayed. But, that's not new territory to parents, most presents go unused anyhow. HOWEVER, you have a much better chance of finding a game that you and your kids can play together by asking us.

Sooo true, for anything related to our children!

Let me also recommend Diamant, it's a filler so it plays quite quickly. It's not fantasy themed, but is is Indiana Jones-esque and has lots of pretty Gems. No dexterity, strength, or card holding required.

Also Niagara, and if one person moves the river there's no strength or dexterity required for this one as well. Again, lots of pretty gems.

Hera and Zeus small hand of cards, small table footprint, mythology theme--I was really big into mythology and Fantasy at that age and would have LOVED this game.

Finally, both Runebound (Second Edition) and Dungeoneer: Tomb of the Lich Lord are easy to play fantasy-based games with nice character development. They can easily be played in a less confrontational manner, making them more multi-player solitaire races, while retaining all their good RPG attributes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bulldozers
United States
Crystal Lake
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Here are some games which have a nice dextrous appeal although not overly so.

-http://www.boardgamegeek.com/game/2719
-http://www.boardgamegeek.com/game/2389
-http://www.boardgamegeek.com/game/1295
-http://www.boardgamegeek.com/game/1917
-http://www.boardgamegeek.com/game/188

These are not euro games and I listed them in order of complexity. The nice thing about these is that they grow continually based on experience but have short learning curves. The nice thing about short learning curves are that if she finds friends that want to join a game, she won't spend days trying to bring them up to speed. Each are cheap, easy to find, and such.

-Mexican Train Dominos is fun again cheap and good for holiday family play but, may get a touch "out of reach".
-http://www.boardgamegeek.com/game/2093 is kind of interesting also.

Along a different line entirely (did you say Dragons?) check out http://www.boardgamegeek.com/game/699 the old role playing game from hrmm the 80s-90s. It is found on ebay etc for around 24-34 USD. Make dad be the DM(dungeon Master) light some candles and have an evening of mayhem. (My thinking behind this one is: that roleplaying a warrior or such may be a fun change of perspective for her.)

There are a host of awesome card games (example http://www.boardgamegeek.com/game/11-, *Oopsie-daisy, I see someone already got the ones I was thinking of=) above a couple of posts, you'll see http://www.boardgamegeek.com/game/172 and such, those are good*). I'll read folks suggestions over the next couple days and if someone doesn't list them, I will add an additional post.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan Monroe
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ricochet Robots

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Haverty
United States
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
tombaak wrote:

You might check out Wicked Witches Way. My friend plays this with his daughters and they all enjoy it, and I finally got to try it out. It is a little bit of a memory game with a racing witches theme. An adult can roll the dice each time if they are too big for her. They also play with a house rule that you don't hide the dice until everyone says they are ready, although if she's sharp she might handle the normal rule (hide the dice as soon as the first person says they are ready).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carol Jones
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If she likes Dragons, then I recommend my favorite game, Dragonland. It was designed by the master, Reiner Knizia, as a children's game. It is a great game for adults or kids, and the board and playing pieces are beautiful. It can be played with 2-4.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Melissa
Australia
Parkville
Vic
flag msg tools
admin
designer
May you find the Perfect Shoe! xxx
badge
Mostly offline, but trying.
mbmbmbmbmb
Welcome to BoardGameGeek!

Depending on how her co-ordination is, a game like Animal Upon Animal could be very good or very bad. It is a favourite with my 9 year old. My 4 year old is a bit too impatient to play it properly, yet.

Marrakesh has also been lots of fun for my girls. (the 4 yr old and the 9 yr old play it together).

For a speed game, something like SET could work - because you don't have to bang the table or anything - you just say "set". (caveat: I don't really think there's much game in 'set' but it is a good mental exercise)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David G.
United States
Moorpark
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This may be a good resource for you: http://kidgameratings.com/

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Melissa
United States
Nevada
flag msg tools
Thank you all so much, I have quite a list going. I am going to have to spend some serious time reading the description of each or my holiday budget is going to be shot! I ordered a few yesterday and I am fairly sure I also want Diamant, Marakesh, Dawn Under, Zooloretto, 10 Days in Africa, Ticket to ride, Hey that's my Fish, Tier auf Tier and Cluzzle.

I was telling a friend that I was buying games for holiday gifts for not only my kids but the other kids I know and she was horrified. She told me she hates games and can't imagine why I would do that to parents (buy games for their kids). It is so sad that in the US so few games are played. I asked her which games her kids had that she found so foul. Of course she answered the standard Candy Land, Chutes and Ladders, Operation, some Sponge Bob Memory Game etc.

My husband and I used to play lots of Magic when we were first dating 13 years ago and into our marriage before kids and jobs took over. We were looking at our cards a few months and trying to remember how to play. It has been so many years of Hiss, Feed the Kitty, Frog Juice, Connect Four, Mouse Trap etc. we couldn't remember. I think I am going to get Caylus four us.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.