Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Daniel
United Kingdom
Kent
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This is a game played at the Games Night at work. We ran it over 2 weeks, due to time. Apart from me, it was everyone's first experience with Talisman.

For the first session, we had 5 players; the Assassin, the Dwarf, the Elf, the Ghoul and the Thief.

Talisman usually gets off to a slow start, as characters move around the Outer Region gathering Items and Followers and having a few low-level fights. Not this time.

The Thief managed to find a Dragon and an Ogre on his first two turns. The Ghoul found the Pool of Life, and the Market (good for the Thief) and Mage (he sells Spells) both made early appearances.
The Assassin was handicapped with a Poltergeist that slowed him to one space per turn.
The Elf was Cursed by a Hag, went to the Village to rid himself of the Curse, had a deep and meaningful conversation with the Village Mystic, and left re-evaluating his motivations as a now Evil character.
The Assassin evaded the Poltergeist by crossing the river to the Middle Region. The Thief followed and accepted a quest from the Warlock. The Dwarf also moved to the Middle, leaving the Elf and Ghoul alone in the Outer.
The Elf went to the City, but the Enchantress took exception to an Evil Elf and turned him into a Toad. This left all his possessions and Followers unclaimed in the City.

For the second session, the Sorceress joined the game.

The Toad turned back into an Elf, three spaces away from the City. The Ghoul bypassed the City, instead killing one of a pair of Dragons nearby. The Dwarf stumbled into the Magic Portal at the Oasis and emerged into the City, immediately claiming a large pile of Elven loot.
The Poltergeist, somehow having crossed into the Middle Region, attached itself to the Assassin again. As he crossed the Gorge, one of his Mules slipped and fell, taking several of his possessions with it. Eventually, he crossed the river again, down the Sentinel's Stairs, back to the Outer region and away from the troublesome spirit.
The Thief, down to one Life, found the Middle Region a bit challenging and used a Raft to cross back to the Outer. Whilst he was in the Ruins, the Ghoul, having been teleported there by a friendly Wizard, snuck up behind him and bashed his head with a rock, then ate him and claimed all his kit.
The Ghoul then used a Raft to cross to the Middle region. Once there, he killed the Demon and invigorated himself at the Pool of Life in the Hidden Valley, then made his way to the Portal of Power. He navigated the Crypts, Diced with Death, killed the Werewolf, traversed the Valley of Fire and ascended to the Crown of Command. From there, none of the other characters had the time or fortitude to reach him, and they all fell to the power of the Crown.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan
Germany
Berlin
Berlin
flag msg tools
Nice journal of your journey. Thanks. Always good to have a good bunch of people playing a game - more fun in a larger group.

One thing I wanted to add. You said:
Hobbit_Hardcase wrote:
The Assassin evaded the Poltergeist by crossing the river to the Middle Region.
What I figured out quite late into my Talisman history was that the large river separating the outer from the middle region isn't the only way to get rid of these water-hating followers. There is also two crossings at the City and the Village ibn the outer region that you can use to get your feet wet and flush those unwelcome companions away. This might be the way your Poltergeist made it back by the way ... he was simply flushed back to the rivers bank.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M Campbell
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
mb
Hobbit_Hardcase wrote:
Apart from me, it was everyone's first experience with Talisman.
What did the new players think of it?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel
United Kingdom
Kent
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jan_case wrote:
What I figured out quite late into my Talisman history was that the large river separating the outer from the middle region isn't the only way to get rid of these water-hating followers. There is also two crossings at the City and the Village ibn the outer region that you can use to get your feet wet and flush those unwelcome companions away.
I pointed this out to her. But she opted to try the Tavern first, as it was closest, then managed a 6 for the Ferry! The teleportation result would have done the job too.

SabataSmurf wrote:
What did the new players think of it?
The aforementioned player has already decided to get a copy when the reprint happens in October. Everyone else enjoyed it as well. I’m glad I managed to close it out when I did, it was starting to get a bit stale. Although the Sorceress was starting to get a bit of traction. No one was catching my Ghoul though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan
Germany
Berlin
Berlin
flag msg tools
Did you use any expansions? Because with the right expansions Talisman won’t become stale for a lot of games.

Especially if you mix them up, my favorite ones so far are: The Harbinger, Blood Moon and Woodland. Which work well together as well.

I also plan on getting the Reprints of the Dungeon, Highland and Dragon expansions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Qwerty Cat
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Enjoyed your session notes.
Is never good idea to make the Enchantress angry.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel
United Kingdom
Kent
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jan_case wrote:
Did you use any expansions? Because with the right expansions Talisman won’t become stale for a lot of games.
No. I bought this 4th edition as a present for my sister several years ago, as a nostalgic hark back to the 2nd Ed we played as children. We played it once and it's been in storage ever since. I didn't get any expansions at the time, and then they went out of print.

Now I've painted it, she can have it back. Her daughters are the right age to play now and we can get some expansions once they are in print again.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls