Subject: Questions About Consumables and Poison rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Robert Sandbach
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've made a few more runs through (or at least, into) the dungeon, and I've got another batch of rules questions, this time mostly revolving around the use of various consumables:

-> Can I drink a potion/eat a ration during combat to gain health, gain energy, or clear poison? If so, does this come at the cost of a 'turn' (i.e. do I use the consumable instead of making an attack?)

-> Can a consumable be used to gain health or clear poison in the last moment to avoid death, such as after a fatal Arrow Trap has been encountered (or, if combat usage is allowed, after a fatal enemy attack has been rolled)?

-> If my character learns the Alchemy skill through enemy experience, which Potions are available to select from when the skill is learned: is it just those remaining in the Potions Deck, or is the Potions Discard Pile fair game to choose from as well?

-> Since rations are not used during any boss battles (so far, at least) and do not score any end game points, is it allowed to immediately scarf down all my remaining rations for 1 energy each after resolving the plot card that triggers the end game but before starting the boss encounter?

-> For enemies that give you poison during combat (such as the Flying Snake or Naga), I presume that rolling a 'miss' (doubles on the 2d6) does not give you poison, but do you still receive the poison if the roll is not a 'miss' but the hit damage is completely mitigated by armor and/or a shield?

Again, I'm enjoying the heck out of this game system, and I am looking forward to future content. I'm also happy to be helping to iron out the precise timing rules and game definitions with questions such as these, and I will continue to note any edge cases or uncertainties that come up as I play and post them here if I run into them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Haskett
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Check out www.undinestudios.com!
badge
Oh, Taloon, do be careful!
mbmbmbmbmb
I might be able to half-answer some of these (haven't played yet, but my copy shipped today, huzzah!).

Quote:
-> Can I drink a potion/eat a ration during combat to gain health, gain energy, or clear poison? If so, does this come at the cost of a 'turn' (i.e. do I use the consumable instead of making an attack?)

Page 3 of the appendix states that you may spend a ration in between turns to gain 1 energy. Because the appendix specifies that you do this between turns, I do not think it counts as your actual turn in that bout. I hope the same is true for potions, and the same page seems to indicate that non-offensive potions can be used at any time, which covers the span of time between turns. However, I'm uncertain if this means you can do it more than once between turns, since the appendix specifies a single ration.

Quote:
-> Can a consumable be used to gain health or clear poison in the last moment to avoid death, such as after a fatal Arrow Trap has been encountered (or, if combat usage is allowed, after a fatal enemy attack has been rolled)?

Page 15 of the rules states that if your poison is equal to or greater than your health, you instantly die. This tells me that there is no grace period where you can be saved after a condition for death is met. So if you roll the dice and it's a killing blow, you're toast even if you have 100 healing potions.

Quote:
-> If my character learns the Alchemy skill through enemy experience, which Potions are available to select from when the skill is learned: is it just those remaining in the Potions Deck, or is the Potions Discard Pile fair game to choose from as well?

That is a very interesting question! It doesn't specify "deck" on the card. I wonder what the answer will be...

Quote:
-> Since rations are not used during any boss battles (so far, at least) and do not score any end game points, is it allowed to immediately scarf down all my remaining rations for 1 energy each after resolving the plot card that triggers the end game but before starting the boss encounter?

I think you can eat a ration during combat, so you could also wait for the initial damage, then pig out. The question remaining, I guess, is whether you're limited to just 1 ration between turns or it's an unlimited amount. mechanically, it makes sense that you would be able to, but thematically, it gives me an amusing mental image of the hero politely asking the boss to please wait a moment while he/she puts on a bib and sits down to a four-course meal.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Glover
msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
1) You may drink potions whenever you want. During combat. During a plot card. Or simply between drawing a dungeon card. Rations however thematically would take too long to eat for their effect during a conflict or plot. You may eat rations in between turns, meaning in between drawing dungeon cards.

2) Nope. Like Ben stated, if your poison level ever is equal to your health you are dead instantly. Likewise, if your health is ever depleted, you die.

3)You may look through the Potion Deck and pick the potions you want. Shuffle the remaining pot cards and reform the draw pile.

4)No, you should try to eat those rations up when it seems like the boss may be on to you.

5)This is a great question! If they miss you obviously take no poison damage. Likewise, if you manage to block all the incoming damage, you also take no poison damage. You have to actually take physical damage to be poisoned. I will have to add this to a list as I plan n making an Appendix II that will be a free download to answer any new questions that could arise as Iron Helm sees hundreds and even thousands of plays from you folks! hehe
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Haskett
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Check out www.undinestudios.com!
badge
Oh, Taloon, do be careful!
mbmbmbmbmb
Ah, my bad--so there are no "turns" in combat.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls