Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mike Charbonneau
Canada
Bromont
Quebec
flag msg tools
mb
Hello, I keep hearing about this game everywhere (forums, videos, etc...) so my question is: -is it too late to get into this gate now since so many other game like it came out already.

I already own Curse of Strahd and Wrath from D&D, but don’t like them. I still own Heroquest which I totally love.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Devon Crane
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you like what you see in the videos and what not why would it be to late? Buy it and play it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fabio Binder
Brazil
Curitiba
PR
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I bought this game on 2018, April. To this day I played it 40 times (35 with the Road to Legend App) and I bought all boxed expansions. So, in my opinion, yes, sure.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mikkel Øberg
Denmark
Gundsømagle
flag msg tools
badge
Ahh, you found me... Run!
mbmbmbmbmb
As a lover of Dungeon Crawlers, having grown up with Hero Quest and D&D, I still think that Descent 2nd ed. is one of the best heroic campaign Dungeon Crawlers out there. Especially now you should be able to get a good deal on a used game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas King
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's still in print. Not too late.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Burny Burns
Germany
flag msg tools
mb
There's no new edition in sight and the game + tons of addons are easily available, offering tons of content to play both cooperatively (app) or competitively now. There is also not a single game to make it completely obsolete as far as I can see.

OP, if you like it, go for it!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ralph Tricoche
United States
Bronx
NY
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you enjoy it, or like it then I see no reason why you shouldn't play it. I own a ton of DC and I play Descent quite often.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Schenck
United States
Dayton
Ohio
flag msg tools
GO BUCKS!
badge
Stop touching me!
mbmbmbmbmb
Do it! The game is awesome, and the community for it is even better.

The only fly in the wine for you would be if you purchased a bunch of Descent stuff right before they announce the Third Edition. But that's just consumer psychology talking, if it bothers you. The presence of a third edition doesn't make the second edition any less fun.

But realistically you should expect it eventually from FFG. Releasing an unnecessarily new edition of a popular franchise? That's just a Tuesday for FFG.
laugh

I'm slightly surprised it wasn't the big announcement at GenCon this year. But they're still busy milking Cthulhu fans*** at the moment.

*** "Milking Cthulhu fans" is much easier than milking Cthulhu itself. That is not recommended.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ralph Tricoche
United States
Bronx
NY
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If there smart they'll release an upgrade pack for 3rd edition.

cbs42 wrote:
Do it! The game is awesome, and the community for it is even better.

The only fly in the wine for you would be if you purchased a bunch of Descent stuff right before they announce the Third Edition. But that's just consumer psychology talking, if it bothers you. The presence of a third edition doesn't make the second edition any less fun.

But realistically you should expect it eventually from FFG. Releasing an unnecessarily new edition of a popular franchise? That's just a Tuesday for FFG.
laugh

I'm slightly surprised it wasn't the big announcement at GenCon this year. But they're still busy milking Cthulhu fans*** at the moment.

*** "Milking Cthulhu fans" is much easier than milking Cthulhu itself. That is not recommended.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Schenck
United States
Dayton
Ohio
flag msg tools
GO BUCKS!
badge
Stop touching me!
mbmbmbmbmb
BIgLatinDude wrote:
If there smart they'll release an upgrade pack for 3rd edition.
I agree! But let's hope they learned some things from the slow/weird/incomplete rollout of the "Conversion kit" from 1st to 2nd Editions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastian H.
Germany
Weilburg
Hessen
flag msg tools
Evil Overlord
badge
Evil Overlord
mbmbmbmbmb
cbs42 wrote:

That disclaimer is pure gold
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph LoPresto
United States
Lansing
MI
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I still highly recommend the game. It is still my favorite Dungeon Crawl game. With some expansions it adds so much game.

Also even if a 3rd edition is announced. 1st and 2nd descent are pretty different games. Sure they are 1 vs many dungeon crawls but Mechanically they are very different. There are some people who loved 1st and hated 2nd and vise versa. Likely 3rd edition would be a new type of game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Cohen
United States
Shrewsbury Township
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, they are two different games. Both great!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Cotton
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you're a fan of Heroquest or Advanced Heroquest, you really can think of Descent 2e as Advanced Advanced Heroquest. Lol

Pros: You will like it. And the newer co-op app campaigns along with the original campaigns gives you two fairly distinct games in one. (We strongly prefer playing Descent as a 1-v-1 game with one of us as Overlord and the other as the team of heroes.) And, being slightly older now, Descent still offers a higher ratio of content vs $$ than most any of FFG's newer products. If a new edition does come, it will have to either be more expensive or contain less nice things in the box. And the new LotR: Journeys in Middle Earth game looks a lot like what one should expect from a new style FFG dungeon crawl. It's got class options and ability choices, but it's fully app integrated, they did away with the dice, and it looks like they'll be going the Mansions of Madness route by making expansions essential for much replayability.

Cons: If you do like it, the expansion content is addicting, and it's very easy to sink $800+ into Descent. Lol. Also, the best Descent campaigns typically involve some fudging by the Overlord or Heroes to maintain a balance. Descent has like a thousand moving parts (although the gameplay itself is relatively simple) and so is easily broken if a player is just a little bit clever and likes to try to be as powerful as possible. For example, we have all the monsters now and when I play Overlord it's not uncommon to notice that the abilities of one particular monster group will almost guarantee me a win.. so then I don't use them. Lol
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leon
Germany
Passau
Bavaria
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The_Filbert13 wrote:
I still highly recommend the game. It is still my favorite Dungeon Crawl game. With some expansions it adds so much game.

Also even if a 3rd edition is announced. 1st and 2nd descent are pretty different games. Sure they are 1 vs many dungeon crawls but Mechanically they are very different. There are some people who loved 1st and hated 2nd and vise versa. Likely 3rd edition would be a new type of game.

Just a hint: there is a 3rd option. There are people that like both editions...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Graham Martin
United States
Ellicott City
MD
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Burny wrote:
There's no new edition in sight

I am going to object to this just a bit.

1) FFG is notoriously tight-lipped about ALL new products. I can't ever remember a leak about their products. Ever.

2) They have not released any major Descent content in close to two years.

3) Imperial Assault is the same game with a Star Wars skin, a BETTER rules set, and a much better App. (Imperial Assault it commonly referred to as "Descent 3.0.") It has been a year sing the last IA expansion. (They have been slowing down on those, too.)

4) The Descent App was an afterthought added long after the initial game design. It was their very first game app that mimicked the three co-op card packs they released and you can feel it.

5) FFG has been getting better and better are app-integrated games. (See LotR: JiME, MoM2e, IA.)

So, due to #1, above, there will never be a new edition in sight until it is ready to play and they reveal it and start taking orders. That could happen tomorrow for all we know. (A new edition would probably be announced at a convention, but you get my point.)

Given everything else, I would not be surprised if Decsent 3.0 is announced in the next 12 months and it comes with a fully-integrated app for co-op play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott C
United States
Charlotte
North Carolina
flag msg tools
I bought everything and I mean EVERYTHING available for this game. Sold my sailboat that I wasn't using and haven't looked back.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicolas P.
msg tools
Grahamers2002 wrote:
Burny wrote:
There's no new edition in sight

3) Imperial Assault is the same game with a Star Wars skin, a BETTER rules set, and a much better App. (Imperial Assault it commonly referred to as "Descent 3.0.") It has been a year sing the last IA expansion. (They have been slowing down on those, too.)

I would say that IA is more seen as a Descent 2.5.
I know a lot of players who still prefer playing Descent and don't like IA as it is.

Regarding the app, campaigns are notoriously shorter in IA, so that for crawlers fans Descent app content is far better
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
VonMeister
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just get it. You don’t have to own everything to start enjoying it right away.
I’m an enabler.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Burny Burns
Germany
flag msg tools
mb
Grahamers2002 wrote:
Given everything else, I would not be surprised if Decsent 3.0 is announced in the next 12 months and it comes with a fully-integrated app for co-op play.

Meaning there's still no new edition in sight, but we can speculate for one to arrive any day now, or in two or three years or never.

The thing is, I can't say anything about Imperial Assault not having played it, but he SUSD review makes it sound like it's subtly improved more than anything. I don't know about OP, but I'd be personally put off by the Star Wars theme more than anything. There may then still be reasons why one would go for Descent, it it's the specific theme you're looking for.

I'd OP is looking for a dungeon crawler then, while we're speculateing for FFG to do anything with the Descent IP now or nevet, OP could also give the game a try. Unless OP is "theme agnostic" and would rather try Imperial Assault, being the slightly improved reimplementation.

The only thing I'd advise against, is going out and splashing 600$ on Descent and all its addons. If there will be a Descent 3.0, I'd rather wait and see if they're doing a conversion kit, before buying up all the then "old stuff".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Cotton
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Honestly, I don't get the claim that Imperial Assault's rule changes are somehow a big upgrade from Descent. The idea that the Overlord needs to try to knock out each hero once, well... If you're playing a plot deck then they OL in Descent is trying to do exactly that anyway. Except it's not his primary win condition, which I am thankful it's not. Descent has a much more drastic variety to the hero and monster powers. So it's totally possible for the hero team to load up one guy and almost guarantee he'll never be knocked out. And I'm actually happy they can do that! There's a certain flexibility it has that Imperial Assault loses. Also, the Line of Sight rules... Just add that change to Descent. Simple. It works fine and if you prefer it, you can just make that change. As long as it applies to both the monsters and heroes it doesn't seem to hurt the balance and really only changes things much on a couple of the map tiles.

Honestly, I think calling IA anything more than a reskin is just wishful thinking or maybe a bit of tribalist dedication. Lol
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas King
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe something people don't know unless they played, in IA, turns go back and forth. One hero goes, then the OL activates a group, then the next hero goes, etc. In Descent, one entire side goes, then the other. This can lead to a character going from fine to knocked out without anyone having a chance to respond. In IA, it's less likely. This also helps alleviate downtime to a degree.

There was also a minor change that improved the psychological effect of missing. In Descent, 1 side of the attack die was blank, causing an automatic miss. In IA, there is 1 side of the defense die that completely blocks an attack. It turns a frustrating fumble for the attacker into a surprising block for the defender.

There are other differences as well, like the support for a skirmish mode that Descent doesn't have.

You might not like IA for whatever reason, but it definitely wasn't a simple re-skin.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Cotton
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Montag451 wrote:
Maybe something people don't know unless they played, in IA, turns go back and forth. One hero goes, then the OL activates a group, then the next hero goes, etc. In Descent, one entire side goes, then the other. This can lead to a character going from fine to knocked out without anyone having a chance to respond. In IA, it's less likely. This also helps alleviate downtime to a degree.

There was also a minor change that improved the psychological effect of missing. In Descent, 1 side of the attack die was blank, causing an automatic miss. In IA, there is 1 side of the defense die that completely blocks an attack. It turns a frustrating fumble for the attacker into a surprising block for the defender.

There are other differences as well, like the support for a skirmish mode that Descent doesn't have.

You might not like IA for whatever reason, but it definitely wasn't a simple re-skin.
Alternating between hero turns and monster group activations is again something totally doable in Descent if you prefer it that way. The co-ops already do that. Same with setting up skirmishes if it's what you want. Lol. Imperial Assault really doesn't offer anything new except the Star Wars theme. It's just a reskin.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leon
Germany
Passau
Bavaria
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
M Cotton wrote:
Montag451 wrote:

Alternating between hero turns and monster group activations is again something totally doable in Descent if you prefer it that way. The co-ops already do that. Same with setting up skirmishes if it's what you want. Lol. Imperial Assault really doesn't offer anything new except the Star Wars theme. It's just a reskin.

By that logic Descent 1 and Descent 2 are the same as well as D2 really does not add much compared to D1. It just plays a "little bit different".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas King
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
M Cotton wrote:
Lol. Imperial Assault really doesn't offer anything new except the Star Wars theme. It's just a reskin.
Wow, did IA kick your dog or something? You really have it out for that game!

Also, Descent doesn't have the point values or special cards like IA, so no, you can't just play skirmish mode without making up the rules as you go.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   |