Popular Tags: [View All]
Michael Cotton
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Montag451 wrote:
M Cotton wrote:
Lol. Imperial Assault really doesn't offer anything new except the Star Wars theme. It's just a reskin.
Wow, did IA kick your dog or something? You really have it out for that game!

Also, Descent doesn't have the point values or special cards like IA, so no, you can't just play skirmish mode without making up the rules as you go.
I don't have it out for that game at all! In fact I like it very much. I just think you're trying way too hard to distinguish it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas King
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
M Cotton wrote:
Montag451 wrote:
M Cotton wrote:
Lol. Imperial Assault really doesn't offer anything new except the Star Wars theme. It's just a reskin.
Wow, did IA kick your dog or something? You really have it out for that game!

Also, Descent doesn't have the point values or special cards like IA, so no, you can't just play skirmish mode without making up the rules as you go.
I don't have it out for that game at all! In fact I like it very much. I just think you're trying way too hard to distinguish it.
I'm not trying hard at all, just explaining the differences. Not my fault if those differences don't fit your personal requirements. It is what it is, IA has several differences, small and large, from Descent.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Cotton
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The only truly large difference is the theme. And perhaps that IA is more restrictive (or maybe "reigned in" is a better description). Most of these minor rule differences are totally portable, and whether they are even "better" also very much depends on the play preferences of the group. The idea that it's a significant upgrade or even just a very different game just doesn't hold much water.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas King
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sure, whether it's an upgrade or better is totally subjective. And I wouldn't say it's a very different game. But there are differences, not all of which you can seamlessly apply to Descent. I just think it's a bit silly to claim it's a re-skin. There are differences, some of which were applied specifically with the intention of improving the design. It's not a 1-to-1 re-skin.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Charbonneau
Canada
Bromont
Quebec
flag msg tools
mb
WoW thanks for the many overwhelming great responses :-)

SO I did buy it and it’s better than I had imagine it would be. Am indeed a huge fan of Heroquest and am missing playing this game so much, Descent fixes my HQ need.

Thanks everyone so much for your input, I truly appreciate it.
Now I feel like I want all the expansions but will wait a bit to play it more, but if I had to buy one...or two...what would you go for?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas King
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There are a few different sizes of expansions.

Hero & Monster packs which have new heroes and monsters in each pack (a combo, not just one or the other).

Small expansions that add new tiles, a few new monsters and 2 heroes. These also offer new scenarios that can also be played as a mini campaign or mixed into another.

Large expansions that have more of everything including a new campaign.

App purchases are new solo/co-op campaigns, it has a free tutorial campaign and two free campaigns that require expansions.

There's one print-on-demand pack that has class cards but nothing else (I think).

So get what you want more of!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ralph Tricoche
United States
Bronx
NY
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd actually.like a follow up to how you feel about the game after you've played a bit.

MercuryMike wrote:
WoW thanks for the many overwhelming great responses :-)

SO I did buy it and it’s better than I had imagine it would be. Am indeed a huge fan of Heroquest and am missing playing this game so much, Descent fixes my HQ need.

Thanks everyone so much for your input, I truly appreciate it.
Now I feel like I want all the expansions but will wait a bit to play it more, but if I had to buy one...or two...what would you go for?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J B
msg tools
I personally only got the base game a couple weeks ago from an auction on this site. Naturally I am now looking at getting additional expansions. All for solo play now and maybe for the future when my 2 year old is old enough to play.

I have all sword and sorcery content and really enjoy that, this is similar and just as much fun so I am glad I am a latecomer to the party!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Cotton
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Brewbush wrote:
I personally only got the base game a couple weeks ago from an auction on this site. Naturally I am now looking at getting additional expansions. All for solo play now and maybe for the future when my 2 year old is old enough to play.

I have all sword and sorcery content and really enjoy that, this is similar and just as much fun so I am glad I am a latecomer to the party!
If you intend to primarily play solo with the app, the two big box expansions plus Lair of the Wyrm plus the Delve DLC gives a pretty solid amount of content. And then if you ever want to play overlord and have at least one other person to control a hero team, you'll have a ton of options for that too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Charbonneau
Canada
Bromont
Quebec
flag msg tools
mb
I have another question which I created a post for...if anyone could help it would be much appreciated

https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/2260840/when-ask-look-overl...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mlai00 Mlai00
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just like Imperial Assault, Descent 2nd Ed will not be getting any more physical content. And FFG has definitively confirmed that there are no plans for a Descent 3rd Ed. You do not need to wait for a Descent 3rd Ed.

Line Of Sight
What's the difference between IA rules and D2e rules? I just looked up IA LoS rules... seems the exact same as D2e??

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lightningclaw Stormcaller
msg tools
mb
Mlai00 wrote:
Just like Imperial Assault, Descent 2nd Ed will not be getting any more physical content. And FFG has definitively confirmed that there are no plans for a Descent 3rd Ed. You do not need to wait for a Descent 3rd Ed.

Line Of Sight
What's the difference between IA rules and D2e rules? I just looked up IA LoS rules... seems the exact same as D2e??

The major difference is Descent uses a single like traced from one corner of the attacker’s space to one corner of the target space. IA uses two lines traced from one corner of the attacker’s space to two different corners of the target space.

IA’s are a little more realistic (for me personally) make terrain more relevant, and overall are more interesting tactically.

I use IA’s line of sight because I think it is an improvement that doesn’t break anything.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim
Canada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
IA’s are a little more realistic (for me personally) make terrain more relevant, and overall are more interesting tactically.

I use IA’s line of sight because I think it is an improvement that doesn’t break anything.

I second this.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Prev «  1 , 2  |