Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Randy Cox
United States
Clemson
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
1024x768 works just fine - Don't Wide the Site!
badge
Missing old BGG
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, I have my copy and have read the rules and will likely play 2-player soon with my wife. But in reading the rules, I see the main stumbling block in getting this to the table with other participants (ie, more than must my wife and I)...The questions and recitations.

I know this game must have been commissioned specifically as a "Shakespeare tool," but it's obvious that there's a normal game lurking underneath the trivia/acting part.

How does this sound as a means of turning this into a standard family/light gamer game:

1) When you'd normally answer a question or recite something, simply roll two dice and receive that amount of shillings, with a maximum of 10. That, to me, simulates what would happen if you performed and your tablemates actually judged you--many people I play with wouldn't give Laurence Olivier more than a couple of shillings if it means better positioning in a game.

2) When attempting to get extra money from a patron by answering a question, simply roll two dice and if you roll more than 7, get your 10 shillings. Otherwise, no.

By using these two rules, do you think that the game would play as it normally plays, albeit without the questions or recitals? Or did I miss something else integral.

I love the sound of the game (except for the thuggery/flirt/etc showdowns on the street), just don't think the "trivia/acting" aspect would go over well with most people I know, let alone most gamers I know.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edward Hoden
United States
Omaha
Nebraska
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Randy,

If I had to guess, I would say yes. What you describe for rules would probably make the game play out, mechanics-wise, much like it would if you actually answered questions or performed recitals.

But from my own point of view, I would think the players would miss out on the fun of doing such things. Especially the recitations. We went so far as to declare a house rule that all recitations had to be done on the "Stage of Life", that is a chair in the middle of the room and using as many props as could be gathered from common household objects.

But of course gaming is all about having fun and if such things are more toward your tastes, well then game on!

Regards,

Ed

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United States
Huntington Station
New York
flag msg tools
badge
This is not the game for you then, Randy!

While I appreciate Edward's post here, I can't see any point to what you suggest at all. It sounds awful.

Being 'Shakespeare Knowledgeable' doesn't guarantee a win (being a Pro would go a long way, though). The questions tend towards multiple guess, so a correct answer is just a die roll away as it stands now. You can play a game without being absolutely required to Recite and Emote. We wouldn't bother, but you could.

Maybe you'll find some ideas in these player aids more to your liking:

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/file/info/24831
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/file/info/24695

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randy Cox
United States
Clemson
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Missing old BGG
mbmbmbmbmb
Liumas wrote:
This is not the game for you then, Randy!
But that's my point--it is a game for me. Hell, I'm an English major and I like games. I don't hate roll and move, I don't mind a little luck, I like the build-a-troup features of Premier/ShowManager. It all sounds great...except for that role playing/trivia aspect (well, and the thuggery).

More importantly, most of the people I know who game are quite shy and wouldn't dare perform--so they'd only take the question option and many of them know precious little Shakespeare. So I was just trying to find a way to play the game without ROLE playing the game (or answering trivia).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United States
Huntington Station
New York
flag msg tools
badge
Cool Randy! I don't see it - it all sounds very sad to me. Have fun with this game "As You Like It", then. Good luck!

Here's a good option that even Mike Siggins liked:

Minimum Speech Wage
Recite Speech action is now worth 5–10 shillings, as awarded by the other managers (instead of 1–10 shillings). A base of 5 shillings is in line with the value of other awards and, making speeches more likely, more in keeping with the spirit of the game.

So... Randy, these 'performances' don't have to be 'performed'. Just read the speech out loud. Heck, with the above, you're guaranteed 5 coins, and your shy gamers can easily agree amongst themselves to be generous with each other, right? They do normally speak out loud, right?

We've found that more people know more about Shakespeare than they would have guessed. And also, if people are smart, there is a little bit of 'gaming the game' here, where you answer a multiple choice question based on how it is asked. But that won't always work here - in which case you've a 1-in-3 chance of being correct for an A-B-C answer, just like rolling the dice. True/False questions are like rolling a 50% chance.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randy Cox
United States
Clemson
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Missing old BGG
mbmbmbmbmb
We played a quick game tonight (2-player, 23 minutes--really). Worked out well, though being that short it meant luck had a lot to do with it. We never recited, always going for the "easy" questions and doing reasonably well at it. We never brawled (only passed one another once).

I like the game. My wife tempered my notion of avoiding recitals and questions, pointing out that the game really is a niche game for Shakespeare folk and that gives it the feel. She also compared the recitals to How to Host a Murder games (which I love), so I guess it's all a matter of perspective. We both agreed, though, that allowing the opponents to determine recital values won't work with a lot of gamers--they'll give the minimum every time (whether that's 5 or 1).

Anyway, it was a fine game and I look forward to playing again.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United States
Huntington Station
New York
flag msg tools
badge
Sounds cool!

I can't remember 'brawling' in this game. Maybe it happened... more likely it was the 'threat' that mattered, if at all.

We've never seen people determined to give the minimum value for recitals. You've probably got your 'other game head' on when you think that through. That other game head hasn't mattered for us in this game... and no one has ever won by being voted a *ton of cash*. It's really not enough cash to win. And if everyone is either stingy or generous - it evens out either way.

We require a 'recital' at least once per game in order to win at all. It often happens that a player only does that once and not more - but this *is* Shakespeare The Bard Game, after all.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
TS S. Fulk
Sweden
Örebro
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I need to get this for my English Classes. Especially if I'll be teaching some students in the theater program again.

Randy Cox wrote:
Well, I have my copy and have read the rules and will likely play 2-player soon with my wife. But in reading the rules, I see the main stumbling block in getting this to the table with other participants (ie, more than must my wife and I)...The questions and recitations.

I know this game must have been commissioned specifically as a "Shakespeare tool," but it's obvious that there's a normal game lurking underneath the trivia/acting part.

How does this sound as a means of turning this into a standard family/light gamer game:

1) When you'd normally answer a question or recite something, simply roll two dice and receive that amount of shillings, with a maximum of 10. That, to me, simulates what would happen if you performed and your tablemates actually judged you--many people I play with wouldn't give Laurence Olivier more than a couple of shillings if it means better positioning in a game.

2) When attempting to get extra money from a patron by answering a question, simply roll two dice and if you roll more than 7, get your 10 shillings. Otherwise, no.

By using these two rules, do you think that the game would play as it normally plays, albeit without the questions or recitals? Or did I miss something else integral.

I love the sound of the game (except for the thuggery/flirt/etc showdowns on the street), just don't think the "trivia/acting" aspect would go over well with most people I know, let alone most gamers I know.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robin
United States
Alaska
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I would not be extremely excited to play the game this way because it strips the game down, removing the best stuff. However, I could see that this variant would work well when including the kids in a game or two. It would be an interesting and acceptable handicap. So, if it works with people who are more timid about performance, wonderful!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.