Popular Tags: [View All]
Will Knight
United States
Navarre
FL
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Although I usually patronize my local board game store (the only one that really caters to boardgamers in the state of MS that I know of), I occasionally drop by HobbyTown USA because they carry a small selection of games with some titles the other store doesn't carry. I'd been eyeing this game Tsuro for months - it has a gorgeous box - but I'd put off buying it because abstracts and puzzles aren't my favorite games although I certainly enjoy them.

Yesterday, I had a little extra dough in my pocket so I decided to pick it up. I read the rules last night (what few there are), and had to immediately consult bgg to clarify the use of the Dragon card. It also wasn't overly clear that the tile you play must extend the tile on which your token rests in the direction your token is facing. After a little bgg sleuthing though, the rules were understood and are actually simple and clear. Too bad the rule book isn't!

So I brought it to work today, and we gave it a play at lunch - 2 plays actually. It's that fast. There were only 2 of us playing, so my buddy took black and I took red. We both placed our tokens on opposite sides of the board and drew our 3 tiles.

Both of us played directly at each other veering off in opposite directions when we met. I then played a u-turn and zoomed back over to his side. 3 turns later and I had him off the board. We were both a little surprised at how fast it ended. So we re-shuffled the cards and restarted in the original positions.

Again, we both headed toward the middle, but this time we both veered toward the larger "half" of the board. We were both more careful this time to not place ourselved facing the spot where our opponent would be laying his next time. As a result, we played through 34 tiles before my opponent was trapped with no tile to place but one that sent him off into space.

We concluded that the first game was probably an anomoly chalked up to inexperience. And although we weren't that much more experienced in game two, it became obvious that as long as you avoid each other, it's pretty much a game of who can can stay adjacent to the largest collection of empty squares.

It will be interesting to see how the dynamics of the game changes when there's 4-8 players bumping into each other. I imagine it will be a much more tense and exciting game. We had great fun and can't wait to try it with more players.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vincent Pisciotta
United States
overland park
Kansas
flag msg tools
mb
Only played once as a 4 player filler. Our house rule was you had to make the R2-D2 noise (Waahh-ooohhh from the Lego Star Wars games falling off a ledge)when you went off. None of us had played before. Most of us felt that moving as far away as possible from the edge(center)was preferable. Steve won, while focusing primarily on the Red Sox game (Wanh! They lost!). He wandered round the edges not making contact with anyone. I anxiously await a re-match. Fun filler!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Burster of Bubbles, Destroyer of Dreams.
United States
Sunnyvale
California
flag msg tools
Just imagine the red offboard up here. I'll create it Real Soon Now...
badge
Yes, I know a proper 18XX tile should have a tile number.
mbmbmbmbmb
While it feels vastly more chaotic with 8 players than with 2, it doesn't take any longer to play -- there are at most 35 tiles to be played no matter how many players there are.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.