Recommend
4 
 Thumb up
 Hide
17 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Conventions

Subject: Board Game Olympics rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: game [+] board [+] olympics [+] [View All]
Ralph Linsangan
msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
So I had this idea of a Board Game Olympics. The event would be held once or twice year where each Media group would be represented by themselves and representatives from their fan base. So for instance Dice Tower would be a "country", BGG would send reps, Board Game Barrage, Heavy Cardboard, etc...

The games would break down by different mechanics or weight. Heavy/Medium/Light. Maybe there's a triathlon where you have to play 3 fillers back to back to back.

Obviously there would be streaming of all the events and sponsors. Maybe push this to Kickstarter to get the funding and organization.

Thoughts?
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shaun Giller
United States
Grand Rapids
Michigan
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmb
Sounds like fun. Have a Tiny Epic Pentathlon! World Cup style.

Have a couple Team Games like Captain Sonar and Codenames. Participants have to play in these to be eligible for any other solo game.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steph Pearce
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mb
Sounds like fun, and a whole lot of work! Good luck.

Is this a world-wide thing or a U.S thing?

I think the Dice Tower/BGG folks are already pretty busy with the convention circuit. It may be a hard sell.

Also, it sounds a lot like The World Boardgaming Championships in Pennsylvania. http://www.boardgamers.org/index.html
Maybe you could contact them about streaming some of their events?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael McKibbin
United States
Clemmons
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
My suggestion would be to structure it like the Olympic Gymnastics event. Each country would send a team to compete in a limited number (6-10) of games. The team would select one or two of their members to participate in each event, and there would be individual awards for events, an individual all-around champion, and a championship team.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Engelmann
United States
Rockville
Maryland
flag msg tools
Congress of Gamers conventions
badge
Eric's actual photo!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
There is already a World Boardgaming Championships, although registration is skewed (by travel costs) towards US representation. Perhaps make it the few days before/after WBC, in the same facility?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rico Cordova
United States
Tampa
Florida
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't understand. So only personalities from the hobby are involved? Why would anyone other than those folks be interested in this? Who wants to watch other people play games?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shaun Giller
United States
Grand Rapids
Michigan
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmb
ricomoss wrote:
Who wants to watch other people play games?

I watch other people play games all the time. Some of it is to see if it is a game I would enjoy, some for strategy. Most of what I watch are people who are friends and I enjoy their banter outside of the game too.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
W. Craig Trader
United States
Sterling
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
I solve problems, usually with computers ...
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
ricomoss wrote:
Who wants to watch other people play games?

People watch Go and Chess matches, and have for centuries. People watch other people play games on Twitch. Why not board games?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steph Pearce
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mb
ricomoss wrote:
Who wants to watch other people play games?
I can't tell if you're being sarcastic or not.

Table Top
Critical Role
Twitch
Game Night!
ESports
ESPN
Jeopardy!...
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Cheng
United States
Catonsville
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mb
I think it’s great to come up with new ideas for our hobby, but my question would be why are you highlighting people that are already well known. These personalities already play games on their channels and attend handful of conventions each year where they interact with each other, why create more exclusive events for them? I guess if instead of playing more games themselves people want to spend the money to watch others do what they are already paid to do everyday, who am I to tell them they shouldn’t?
1 
 Thumb up
1.00
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ralph Linsangan
msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
It's like a cross-over where Ron Swanson plays chess with Ross Geller. It'd be interesting to see competition between different media folks plus given enough spots needed to fill, you can fill in spots from your fan base.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rico Cordova
United States
Tampa
Florida
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
stephaniepa wrote:
ricomoss wrote:
Who wants to watch other people play games?
I can't tell if you're being sarcastic or not.

Table Top
Critical Role
Twitch
Game Night!
ESports
ESPN
Jeopardy!...

I'm absolutely not being sarcastic. For ESPN, ESports, Jeopardy!, etc...I find it reasonable for people to watch this - it's a level of talent that is beyond normal (professional/exceptional). Sure, it's fun to watch people do things that they are crazy talented doing - sports, piano, singing, whatever.

I'm talking about playing board games. First, I'm never interested in celebrity/personality anything. Furthermore, they are just playing board games. They aren't particularly talented, or exceptional in any way. Why would anyone want to watch that, when you could be playing your own games with your own friends?

Table Top, Twitch, etc...yeah, I don't get it. Go play the game yourself. I simply don't understand it. I expect I never will.

It's right up there with Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, etc. I don't get it, and I never will. To each there own, but to me this is all a huge waste of time - and it doesn't contribute to your own skill set (it's literally just a slog in your life). At least playing the game for yourself will be a net benefit for your own skills. Whatever...
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ralph Linsangan
msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
ricomoss wrote:
stephaniepa wrote:
ricomoss wrote:
Who wants to watch other people play games?
I can't tell if you're being sarcastic or not.

Table Top
Critical Role
Twitch
Game Night!
ESports
ESPN
Jeopardy!...

I'm absolutely not being sarcastic. For ESPN, ESports, Jeopardy!, etc...I find it reasonable for people to watch this - it's a level of talent that is beyond normal (professional/exceptional). Sure, it's fun to watch people do things that they are crazy talented doing - sports, piano, singing, whatever.

I'm talking about playing board games. First, I'm never interested in celebrity/personality anything. Furthermore, they are just playing board games. They aren't particularly talented, or exceptional in any way. Why would anyone want to watch that, when you could be playing your own games with your own friends?

Table Top, Twitch, etc...yeah, I don't get it. Go play the game yourself. I simply don't understand it. I expect I never will.

It's right up there with Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, etc. I don't get it, and I never will. To each there own, but to me this is all a huge waste of time - and it doesn't contribute to your own skill set (it's literally just a slog in your life). At least playing the game for yourself will be a net benefit for your own skills. Whatever...

But what about those times in BETWEEN you playing those games. You can fill it in by watching those games being played, min/maxing your game exposure. If you're not gaming 24/7 then you're not doing it right.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoffrey Burrell
United States
Cedar Rapids
Iowa
flag msg tools
Sounds interesting! You probably would have different genres and games to cover all of your bases. Location would also determine the amount of participation.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rico Cordova
United States
Tampa
Florida
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
xcaptnmorgan wrote:

But what about those times in BETWEEN you playing those games. You can fill it in by watching those games being played, min/maxing your game exposure. If you're not gaming 24/7 then you're not doing it right.

How is watching people play board games any better than playing them yourself? If you have the time to watch the game being played, you must have time to play the game. Unless you are doing some new-fangled kind of watching where you get to interact and influence what you are watching, you may as well just be playing the game solo. There are more games to play solo than you will ever have time to play.

24/7 or not, I claim watching board games being played means you aren't doing it right.

I simply don't understand.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ralph Linsangan
msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
ricomoss wrote:
xcaptnmorgan wrote:

But what about those times in BETWEEN you playing those games. You can fill it in by watching those games being played, min/maxing your game exposure. If you're not gaming 24/7 then you're not doing it right.

How is watching people play board games any better than playing them yourself? If you have the time to watch the game being played, you must have time to play the game. Unless you are doing some new-fangled kind of watching where you get to interact and influence what you are watching, you may as well just be playing the game solo. There are more games to play solo than you will ever have time to play.

24/7 or not, I claim watching board games being played means you aren't doing it right.

I simply don't understand.

I'll stream games on one of the monitors while I work. Personally, I never enjoyed playing solo, I'd rather watch 4 people play a game and see the choices people make.

Other options: watch videos while you shower, poop, or while eating a messy meal that might make board games sad.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steph Pearce
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mb
ricomoss wrote:
I'm absolutely not being sarcastic. For ESPN, ESports, Jeopardy!, etc...I find it reasonable for people to watch this - it's a level of talent that is beyond normal (professional/exceptional). Sure, it's fun to watch people do things that they are crazy talented doing - sports, piano, singing, whatever.

I'm talking about playing board games. First, I'm never interested in celebrity/personality anything. Furthermore, they are just playing board games. They aren't particularly talented, or exceptional in any way. Why would anyone want to watch that, when you could be playing your own games with your own friends?

Table Top, Twitch, etc...yeah, I don't get it. Go play the game yourself. I simply don't understand it. I expect I never will.

It's right up there with Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, etc. I don't get it, and I never will. To each there own, but to me this is all a huge waste of time - and it doesn't contribute to your own skill set (it's literally just a slog in your life). At least playing the game for yourself will be a net benefit for your own skills. Whatever...

Thanks for clarifying, I really wasn't sure.

I agree with you on most of this. I would much rather play games than watch them. I also agree that I would not want to watch "celebrities" play. If I were going to watch, I would prefer to watch a dedicated, passionate fan who has delved deep into a game, rather than a celebrity who, by the nature of their job, has to go wide into the game field.

All that being said, I won't deny the fact that there are plenty of people who enjoy being spectators.

I would also like to point out that not everyone has friends nearby who are willing and/or able to play games. So even though just watching isn't for me, I can see how watching the interactions of others might be fun for those who don't have friends in the hobby or are tired of the solo scene.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls