ShipShape» Forums » Rules

Subject: Odd line in the rulebook rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Larry Schneider
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
Page 3 of the rulebook states, "It is possible for a player to have a particularly dramatic voyage and finish with a negative score. However, a player cannot have fewer than 0 coins, and coins are never lost from a player's bounty at the end of any voyage."

Honestly, I don't know this sentence is referring to at all. A dramatic voyage? A negative score?

Simply stated, shouldn't the first scoring rule have been stated this way:

"Gold: All players collect coins equal to their total visible Gold value less their total visible Rat value (to a minimum of 0; ignore any negative result)."

It seems to me, that's the only way you could "potentially lose coins."

Or am I missing something here?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Leder
United States
Plainfield
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Your suggestion for the wording is exactly as intended. If you received no coins for contraband or cannons during a voyage, and you end up with negative coins due to rats, you do not lose coins. The minimum is zero.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh K (fifguy85)
United States
Bothell
WA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MantaScorp wrote:
Your suggestion for the wording is exactly as intended. If you received no coins for contraband or cannons during a voyage, and you end up with negative coins due to rats, you do not lose coins. The minimum is zero.
Can you clarify what the intention is regarding having more rats than gold, but also scoring in other areas?

For example if I had net totals of 3 gold, -6 rats, 8 cannons (scoring 4 points) and 0 points from contraband, how would I score that? 4 gold or 1?

Reading the rules section by section I'd collect coins in order for each scoring section.

First, "Gold-Rats=3-6=-3". Since I can't collect negative coins, I collect 0.
Second, "My Cannons-Fewest Cannons=8-4=4". I'd collect 4 coins.
Third, "Contraband=0"
Fourth, "Bonus=0"
TOTAL = 4

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Leder
United States
Plainfield
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Rats are only counted when calculating gold, and have no bearing on cannons or contraband. The 4 is correct.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wilson F
Canada
flag msg tools
Microbadge: Weird Al Yankovic fanMicrobadge: Codenames fanMicrobadge: Pairs fan - Shallow Ones
Huh. That line in the rules suggests the exact opposite: that the score for the voyage cannot be less than zero, not the score for just the gold. I'm not sure how one could interpret it any other way.

An even more dramatic example:

Gold: 2
Rats: -6
Cannons: 1
Contraband: 2

As stated in the rules, the score would be:

max(2 - 6 + 1 + 2, 0) = max(-1, 0) = 0

But Chris directly contradicts that statement, and suggests that the score would be:

max(2 - 6, 0) + 1 + 2 = 0 + 1 + 2 = 3

I do appreciate Chris taking the time and effort to comment, but it just makes me more confused, because the rule seems pretty clear as written.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Leder
United States
Plainfield
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
It is, and I'm sorry for any confusion. Just ignore the line about the dramatic voyage and ending with a negative score.

You score gold minus rats first. Minimum 0.

Then you score cannons. At worst, you'll score 0.

Then you score contraband. At worst, you'll score 0.

That is your score for the voyage!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls