Hide
15 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Conventions

Subject: Missed the major conventions which one now? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Grant F.
msg tools
Dues to personal reasons I missed Gencon and Orginas and now maybe Essen. Which is the next big one I can attend?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oliver Dienz
United States
Shelburne
Vermont
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Pax Unplugged?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grant F.
msg tools
odie73 wrote:

Sounds Good!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grant F.
msg tools
Maybe Shux?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith R
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Buckeye Fest, Columbus OH
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Brooks
United States
Charleston
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Prezcon Charlottesville VA, www.prezcon.com
Feb 24 - Mar 1 2020
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Lane
United States
Golden Valley
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Don't forget to see what local cons might fit the bill. I know we've got two in our area that aren't considered "big" by BGG's major scale, but both pull in thousands of attendees and you could spend the entire time table top gaming at each.

You just never know what's right under your nose!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Engelmann
United States
Rockville
Maryland
flag msg tools
Congress of Gamers conventions
badge
Eric's actual photo!
mbmbmbmbmb
Oiler1 wrote:
Dues to personal reasons I missed Gencon and Orginas and now maybe Essen. Which is the next big one I can attend?

WashingCon is this weekend, if you are in the DC area.
Upcoming cons in the DC area:
https://www.meetup.com/DMV-Board-Game-Conventions/events/

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Blumentritt
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What are you looking for in a con?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grant F.
msg tools
Statalyzer wrote:

I am not looking for gaming if you can believe that. I am interested in new games or games I haven't played and would like demoed. Also if there are flea markets of OOP games that would be great.

I missed Gencon due to illness but will attend next year for sure. Essen is too expensive for me and I would have to plan a real vacation around it but too late now.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Engelmann
United States
Rockville
Maryland
flag msg tools
Congress of Gamers conventions
badge
Eric's actual photo!
mbmbmbmbmb
Oiler1 wrote:
Statalyzer wrote:

I am not looking for gaming if you can believe that. I am interested in new games or games I haven;t played and would like demoed. Also if there are flea markets of OOP games that would be great.

I missed Gencon due to illness but will attend next year for sure. Essen is too expensive for me and I would have to plan a real vacation around it but too late now.

Ah!
EuroQuest is a small con (350 gamers?) that offers a cool collection of the latest Essen releases their members mule from Germany. It's in early November at the norhtwest corner of the Baltimore beltway (well away from Baltimore's famous criminals).
http://euroquest.gamesclubofmd.org/

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
bret johnson
United States
California
flag msg tools
I’d recommend SHUX for sure.

Has a fairly big game library at the con available for play you can actually check out here:

https://boardgamegeek.com/collection/user/SHUX?sort=rank&col...

Plus they encourage attendees to bring their own games and check them into the library during the Con! Meaning there will be MANY MANY more offerings too.

They also keep it easy and affordable for small
Indie game designers to exhibit via a small but cool indie row! And they always have a prototype heavy focus/sub group going too.

There’s a whole message board and discord channel up for setting up more esoteric or difficult long games in advance too.

Finally, worth noting that the convention space is AMAZING right on the waterfront of a world class city. And it’s open til midnight to accommodate gaming.

Oh and fun feature, if you’re into NEW gaming experiences they have several MEGA games being run this year AND the actual creators of BLOOD ON THE CLOCKTOWER will be running MANY games surfing the weekend using 3 different sets.

Anyway, I think you’d find it’s right up your alley. They do have games for sale (used and new from a few vendors) but there’s no massive used game alley per se. however they do run a great robust MathTrade that just kicked off again if you’re looking to acquire OOP games that’s a nice option in advance.

OK that’s my pitch.

A short aside—my group inadvertently ended up with 2 additional tix and we’re past the refund window so if you opt to go to SHUX, consider hitting me up! It’s SUPER easy to transfer the ticket for pickup at Con check in so there’s virtually no difference! But it’d help us not eat $150 per ticket 🤦‍♂️

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Bielefeldt
United States
Cincinnati
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Oiler1 wrote:

CinCityCon in Cincinnati next month.

http://cincitycon.com

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grant F.
msg tools
Looking for cons in the Pacific, Southwest and North Central areas in September. Found SHUX, B-Con and Fallcon so far.

Can anyone tell me about these? Do they have any used games for sale at them? What is the number of vendors? Yes, now I know about SHUX.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Felipe Lopez
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Rin Con is at Tucson first weekend of October. Never been, but looks good so far, and I believe it's been running for over 10 years.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls