Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
73 Posts
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 

BGG» Forums » BoardGameGeek Related » BGG News

Subject: BoardGameGeek Introduces In Focus Video Series & The Brothers Murph Join the Team! rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: 37963 [+] 38323 [+] [View All]
Scott Alden
United States
Dallas
TX
flag msg tools
admin
badge
Aldie's Full of Love!
mbmbmb

Dallas, TX; August 23, 2019 - Today, BoardGameGeek launched a new video series, In Focus. In Focus has been designed specifically to improve board game exposure with concise, entertaining videos, and by leveraging BoardGameGeek’s unique position as the world’s premiere boardgaming website.

“We have been working behind the scenes for several years to develop a way to let publishers increase exposure for their board game releases,” said BoardGameGeek’s Director of Media, Lincoln Damerst. “In Focus is a culmination of our efforts in digital media combined with BoardGameGeek’s unprecedented web presence.”

Added Scott Alden, owner, BoardGameGeek, “With so much content coming from increasingly sophisticated media producers, our goal was to provide a product that allows a publisher to directly harness the power of new media.”

In Focus will give publishers engaging and incisive video content that will premiere on YouTube, along with the front page of BoardGameGeek, which provides the perfect launching point in their media push for both new and existing game releases.

In addition, Nick and Mike Murphy of The Brothers Murph are joining the media team to create In Focus videos. We welcome them to the team and are excited to have them aboard!

Check out some of the premiere episodes of In Focus, including The Castles of Burgundy from Ravenburger, Shakespeare from Ystari Games, Pirate Tricks from Soaring Rhino, Histrio from Bombyx and stay tuned for continuing innovations from BoardGameGeek!

Media Contact:
Lincoln Damerst
lincoln@boardgamegeek.com
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy D
New Zealand
Invercargill
Southland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Aldie wrote:
BoardGameGeek’s unique position as the world’s premiere board gaming website.
I didn’t know there were any other websites!!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
elac yenwod
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This is fantastic. I knew someone would snatch up nick and mike. Glad it was BGG. Can’t wait to see what comes from this great growing team.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jose Andres Luna Sanchez
Spain
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Great news and awesome job

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Schenck
United States
Dayton
Ohio
flag msg tools
GO BUCKS!
badge
Stop touching me!
mb
Great choice with the Brothers Murph.
laugh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hahn Arama
United States
flag msg tools
I had a guide, a Bedouin man, who called me 'Abu el Banat'. And whenever we'd meet another Bedouin, he'd introduce me as Abu el Banat. And the Bedouin would laugh and laugh and offer me a pint of beer. (cont below)
badge
And I'd go to pay them for the beer and they wouldn't let me. "Abu el Banat" means "Father of daughters." They thought the beer was the least they could do.
mbmbmbmbmb
Will In Focus have it's own page or will we just have to look at individual games to see if there is a video for it?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Brown
United States
Crofton
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: Fan of Stonemaier GamesMicrobadge: Red Raven Games fanMicrobadge: Detroit Tigers fanMicrobadge: Automa Factory fanMicrobadge: Kickstarter fan
Is this a marketing push to support publishers? Will they have to pay to have their game featured? Will you feature Kickstarters or stick to games already available?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James C
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
mb
When I saw the In Focus videos yesterday I was kind of surprised by the color/look. Interesting choice.

(To be clear, not the rainbow coloring, just the muted look of it)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anne Reynolds
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I like the apparent focus in these videos on games that are not "the new hotness". It can give some much needed exposure to really good games.

One suggestion to consider - tone down the background music in the videos a bit, please. I found the volume of the background music distracting in every one of these videos.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evan Schmalz
United States
Grand Rapids
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Rose
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
Hello! We are Game Trade Media! Our goal is to help you leave the comforts of your comfy chair and head to your local game store! There is a world of possibilities and new friends to meet and a community to join!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Congrats guys! Loved the videos and can't wait for more!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave
United States
Palm Beach County
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
While the Bros. Murph are not exectlymy cup of tea when it comes to comedy, they seem like good guys that care about the hobby and seem like a really good fit. Best of luck to everybody.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J.R. Shoenberger
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Congrats Mike and Nick!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Lupino
United States
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Lincoln,

I really love the concept of this...especially if it focuses on older releases or just ones that don't get the attention they deserve. Also, love the Brothers Murph...great choice for this series...great to see new and exciting things happening at BGG.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lincoln Damerst
United States
California
flag msg tools
GameNight!
badge
GameNight!
mbmbmbmbmb
hahnarama wrote:
Will In Focus have it's own page or will we just have to look at individual games to see if there is a video for it?
There is actually a module on the front page for the In Focus videos similar to our Featured Videos module.

Thanks for the note and for watching.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lincoln Damerst
United States
California
flag msg tools
GameNight!
badge
GameNight!
mbmbmbmbmb
apscott wrote:
One suggestion to consider - tone down the background music in the videos a bit, please. I found the volume of the background music distracting in every one of these videos.
Thanks for the suggestion Anna and thanks for watching.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger Wink
United States
Penfield
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This truly is a great idea to summarize a game in two to three minutes. I don't always have time to watch at 15 or 30 minute run through to get a basic idea of if I'm interested (not that I don't watch the longer ones but I have to already have an interest to invest the time). The shorter "snaps" let me get in quickly and see if the game would suit my interests.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Caleb
United States
Seminole
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The videos are a good idea and well produced. The speakers need to slow down. Rodney's great but the other guy talks too fast. Especially for someone not familiar with boardgames, they're going to have a hard time following him.

People can always speed up the videos on YT if they want
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Banana Pants
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
Yummy
mbmbmbmbmb
I love the brothers Murph. Great news!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Siân
Scotland
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: Mmmmm, freshly sharpened pencils!Microbadge: Keep Calm and Carry OnMicrobadge: Cwtch mawr!Microbadge: Keep Calm and Game OnMicrobadge: My pencils are sharp; I'm ready for anything!
Interesting videos, but please could we have an option to turn off the loud background music?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Nabedian
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
All out of bubblegum
mbmbmbmbmb
Is it possible for you to break these out into their own "Channel" on Youtube similar to BoardGameGeek Express? (and for that matter, possibly silo many of your other content creators into their own channels?)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CabbageKing
United States
Clarkston
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I loved Rodney's Castles of Burgundy In Focus - this is a great idea!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek Jonson
United States
flag msg tools
badge
faster way to inner peace
Microbadge: All the Meeples of the Rainbow blogMicrobadge: Heavy Cardboard podcast fanMicrobadge: Follow me on InstagramMicrobadge: BGG fanMicrobadge: Granite Game Summit attendee
wicked awesome!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kirk Roberts
United States
Jonesborough (will trade by mail)
TN
flag msg tools
badge
I am Kirk Roberts.
Brak55 wrote:
This truly is a great idea to summarize a game in two to three minutes. I don't always have time to watch at 15 or 30 minute run through to get a basic idea of if I'm interested (not that I don't watch the longer ones but I have to already have an interest to invest the time). The shorter "snaps" let me get in quickly and see if the game would suit my interests.
Just FYI the Game Boy Geek does great 2-minute "allegro" videos with an overview and his thoughts in a very compact format. Usually there is a more in-depth review also, if you want to know more. Something to check out if you didn't know about them already.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Krajewski
United States
Fitchburg
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
User mkrajew
badge
Microbadge: Cooperative Games fanMicrobadge:  I'm Board! Games & Family Fun FanMicrobadge: University of WisconsinMicrobadge: Curling fanMicrobadge: Pandemic Legacy fan
Also worth mentioning, great work with the press release. It really goes along well with the new branding. Very professional.

Thanks for the update. I'm really liking what you guys have been doing!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   |