11 Posts

BattleLore» Forums » General

Subject: Is Battlelore fun with more than 2 player? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Danny Paquette
Canada
flag msg tools
Good day. It's my first time here, so I need your advice. The other day at was at a friend's house and we played Settlers of Catan. The game was fun, so I said to myself: Why don't you get a good board game. So I searched the web and find BattleLore.

The game looks fun, because I don't really like full tactical game. The reason is that most of time you end up not playing, but fighting for real. This game seems to be ruled mostly by chances, from what I read.

But is the game only for two player? I know it's two team, but is the game enjoyable at more than 2 player. For example is 4 a great way to play?

Thanks for your advice!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mb
The basic game is for 2 -player - as is all the games in this "series" (Memoir '44, C&C: Ancients, and Battle Cry). Memoir and BattleLore both have the ability to "expand" onto 2 boards (with Ancients probably getting the same treatment very soon).

For the most part, this expands into "teams" as you pointed out where one person is the "commander" over the others on his teams. Honestly, I don't find this style of play enjoyable and it takes something away from the base game.

What BattleLore does offer is what they call the "Reluctant Allies" variant of their Epic (multi-player) expansion. This pits two teams of 2 against each other but each person has full control over their own army (one army on each side has a small cardboard badge to distinguish it from its allies). While I have not had the opportunity to play it myself, it appears to be head and shoulders above the other multi-player options they have out there. I think this is truly the way to go if you have 4 players.

So that was the long of it. The short of it is that BattleLore can play with 4 just as well as 2 but you will want to get the Epic expansion or a 2nd set to make that work. As a base game, it is not really possible practical to play with more than 2.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fa
Italy
Torino
flag msg tools
badge
Forza Vecchio Cuore Granata!
mbmbmbmbmb
ColtsFan76 wrote:
As a base game, it is not really possible to play with more than 2.

Actually we play 3vs3 the basic game, as a training for Epic. We enjoy the game, indeed. Me, my wife, her sister, her sister's husband and their daughter's. 2 different teams every saturday, different scenario...asap we'll play Epic. I think we're ready to go!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Danny Paquette
Canada
flag msg tools
From what I understand, you only have two commander. So if you play two vs two, then both player have to take decision for 1 army.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Penner
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Actarus wrote:
From what I understand, you only have two commander. So if you play two vs two, then both player have to take decision for 1 army.

That is true with the basic 2 team epic rules, but not true with the above mentioned Reluctant Allies version. Each of the 4 players have their own troops to activate, but there is a way to activate your teammates troops too. Each person on a side will have their own cards to use.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Rewoldt
United States
Loveland
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just another voice saying that Reluctant Allies is a very fun way to go for four players. The straight multi-player (for up to six) I haven't actually played, but aside from a good way to initiate people to the game, doesn't seem that fun, but maybe all the putting together of heads would be good once in a while.

Still, at it's core, plays best as the two player game it is intended to be IMHO.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Smith
United States
Troy
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've played Reluctant Allies once, and it was a lot of fun. However, I wouldn't use it as a way to introduce new players to the game, because it has a few additional rules on top of the base game, and there are a lot of units on the board. For four experienced players, Reluctant Allies is a very fun way to experience Battlelore in a new way.

I agree with others; using the Epic Lord Commander version of multi-player is good mostly for introducing new players to the game. Although this version is meant for 6 players, with 4 you could have one player control the cards and the center section, and the other player control both flanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Wallace
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Over on the Commands and Colors forum, under 'variants," I read where a guy says it's fun to play with 3 or 4 people and standard scenarios-- they just give each player his own deck of cards and alternate play--

So if like players A and B are on one side and Players 1 and 2 on the other, then A would play a card, make the moves, draw a card, then 1 would play, move, draw, then B, then 2. Players can't talk with each other or show their hands-- it's sort of independent play with each player working toward the success of the combined team.

He said this is a very good way to teach new players also (allow hand showing in this case).

I think that would work with BL.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Penner
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
BillW wrote:
Over on the Commands and Colors forum, under 'variants," I read where a guy says it's fun to play with 3 or 4 people and standard scenarios-- they just give each player his own deck of cards and alternate play--

So if like players A and B are on one side and Players 1 and 2 on the other, then A would play a card, make the moves, draw a card, then 1 would play, move, draw, then B, then 2. Players can't talk with each other or show their hands-- it's sort of independent play with each player working toward the success of the combined team.

He said this is a very good way to teach new players also (allow hand showing in this case).

I think that would work with BL.

That is pretty much how Reluctant Allies works.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Corban
Canada
Newmarket
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Actarus wrote:
Good day. It's my first time here, so I need your advice. The other day at was at a friend's house and we played Settlers of Catan. The game was fun, so I said to myself: Why don't you get a good board game. So I searched the web and find BattleLore.

The game looks fun, because I don't really like full tactical game. The reason is that most of time you end up not playing, but fighting for real. This game seems to be ruled mostly by chances, from what I read.

Fighting for real? Geez.

Settlers of Catan has caused, by far, the most fighting and animosity in any boardgame I have ever played. I can't see there being any anger in my future with Battlelore.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Palmer
Canada
Ayr
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We played a 2 on 2 game with the epic expansion and it was a lot of fun. Nobody wanted to split up who controlled who, so it ended up just being co-operative, where we discussed each play. We thoroughly enjoyed it, but the length of the game more than doubles, just from the added discussion about each move.

It was great fun though because it still moved relatively quickly, and there were few dumb moves since you had someone watching your back on all your decisions.

I would like to play the Reluctant Allies variant, but I only have one set... perhaps if there were a scenario or two that just required one set, I would play this.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.