A Maracle
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
OverText is such a 23rd centruy fad.
mbmbmbmbmb
Remember the good old country fair of days gone by?

“Knock over the milk cans and win a prize!”

How about the more modern version?

“Pay $10, play this totally unfair game of chance and you might win a toy that would have cost you 1/10 to buy in a store.”

Maybe it isn’t that bad, but as a parent, I get dragged to a few fairs every year. It’s usually the same routine: pay to get in, pay to ride, pay to play a few games and then wonder why I just didn’t go to a major amusement park instead.

Anyways, one of the games you can play at the fair is “The Duck Pond”. It is a simple concept: some little plastic ducks go around in a circle trough of water and you must grab one. Whatever size/color is showing on the bottom determines what prize you get.

As it turns out, some game designer (I use that term in the loosest sense of the word) turned this carnival game into an educational game of sorts… with enough noise to rival Hungry Hungry Hippos

That game is known as Lucky Ducks

Initial Thoughts

[GAMEID=] is a memory game that should come with earplugs. It is a nice little idea in theory (plastic ducks going around in a circle… what kid couldn’t love that?) complicated by enough noise to make you have to shout during the game (the turntable is loud and you have to factor in the annoying quacking sound that is also projected by the device).

Object Of The Game

Be the first player to collect all of the ducks marked with your color.

Components

There really isn’t much too this game. Just a motorized pond (not recommend for people with hangovers), 12 plastic ducks and four colored nests.

I found out something interesting about the pre-2005 and 2005-and-after versions. In the pre 2005 version, the ducks had colored bottoms that players used to match to their home nests. In 2005 and onwards, the ducks have symbols as well as colors and the colored nests are gone. Instead, the pond has symbols on its edge that indicate which ducks that player should keep. I don’t know if this was because of color blindness complaints or an effort to being pattern matching into the game, but it is interesting to note.

As for the art, there is nothing to report. All I can say is that the ducks are cute.

Gameplay

The ducks are placed into the pond and it is turned on. The youngest player gets to go first.

On a player’s turn, they pick a duck from the pond and show the bottom to everyone. If it matches their “home” symbol, they keep it. If not, it is put back into the pond and it is the next player’s turn.

Once a player has found all three of their ducks, they win the game and you can shut it off and take some headache medicine.

Tip For A Shorter Game – Remove one duck from each shape set. Helps the game go faster for younger players.

Strategy v.s. Luck Factor

There isn’t much strategy apart from keeping an eye on your duck. If you see a player put a duck you need back, keep an eye on it and grab it when you have a chance.

Apart from that, I have nothing else to say except you may to try singing some of the following songs to throw your opponents off their game:

“Disco Duck”
“Rubber Ducky, You’re The One”
“The William Tell Overture” (Do this: Duck diddy duck diddy duck duck duck….)

Closing Thoughts

Part of me wants to recommend this game because it does have some merits for wee gamers (color recognition, pattern recognition), but the loudness factor really put me off.

I think I’ll say “skip it” unless you can get it for a friend and play it at their house. Also, if you child really loves “The Duck Pond”, then you may want to get this for them and have them play it in their room with friends. Adults with earmuffs are another option.

Recommendation Summary

Wyll's Recommendation: thumbsdown

Fun Factor (5 Point Scale): 2

One Line Summary: A very noisy memory game based on a carnival game that can be played by ages 3 and up.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Winckler
United States
Kennewick
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Summed up nicely, and I couldn't agree with you more. When the Curse of the Lucky Duck struck our household (the result of a well-intentioned grandparent), the motorized menace of a pond very quickly found a new home in some suitably unreachable and remote location. (Out of sight, out of mind....) Now the thing only comes out when said grandparent is babysitting. devil

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A Maracle
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
OverText is such a 23rd centruy fad.
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the comments and I was fortunate to play this game at a friend's house with his children.

There is probally a good geeklist here someplace: Games That Are Louder Than My Mother-In-Law

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
mbmb
The toddlers in my extended family enjoy the color matching and the toy factor, but there are other games that do just as well. Combining movement with a memory mechanic is interesting, but the developer obviously wasn't a parent -- there's no volume control, it’s loud, and it quacks non-stop! Sometimes the game turns on by itself when the box settles!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Bass
United States
St. Charles
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quack! Quack! Quack! Quack! Quack! Quack! Quack! Quack! Quack! Quack! Quack! Quack! Quack! Quack! Quack! Quack! Quack! Quack! Quack! Quack! Quack! Quack! Quack! Quack! Quack! Quack! Quack! Quack! Quack! Quack! Quack! Quack! Quack! Quack! Quack!

yes, we own it... my daughter loves the little ducks... the incessant quacking will drive you mad... zombie
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dennis Parsons
United States
Alto
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
tbass77 wrote:
Quack! Quack! Quack! Quack! Quack! Quack! Quack! Quack! Quack! Quack! Quack! Quack! Quack! Quack! Quack! Quack! Quack! Quack! Quack! Quack! Quack! Quack! Quack! Quack! Quack! Quack! Quack! Quack! Quack! Quack! Quack! Quack! Quack! Quack! Quack!

Lucky ducks is definitely a "top of the game stack" game. Set anything on top of it and the ducks quacking away in the closet will drive you mad. It became the running joke in our house.

We decided we were going to put this annoying game into a garage sale so we loaded up the car with all of the rest of the junk and started to drive off. The game shifted in the back and for the next twenty minutes...quack quack quack, all the way to my parents.

We put it into the garage sale the next day sold it for a dollar and the person who bought it set it off...quack quack quack...all the way back to her car.

Hilarious and maddening at the same time. Glad to be rid of it, ha ha.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Garry Rice
United States
Perkasie
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ah yes...we're also very fortunate that this game was purchased by my mother-in-law...and it stays at her house

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John W
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This game has an interesting psychological component -

how long will the child cheat (by knowing what color a duck is from some small imperfection on it) without telling their opponent? laugh

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.