Subject: Holy Typos, Batman! rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jarrett McDonald
United States
Saint Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
I was shocked tonight when my first play with my family turned into a game of spot the typos. I took a picture of the most obvious ones, but there may be more as I didn't have time (or didn't want to) discover more.
I understand tight deadlines; I worked in printing for years without a proofreader, but these are words that a simple spellcheck should have flagged. I also understand it's not game-breaking, but it's annoying and a bit of a buzzkill nonetheless.

Edit 9/6/19: Found another one today.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Mott
United States
Provo
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow, that's a deal-breaker for us. Those are too egregious to be considered innocent oversights. I bet Catwoman is spelled with a 'K' (lol). shake

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Denman
United States
Katy
Texas
flag msg tools
Microbadge: Black Panther fanMicrobadge: NASA (National Aeronautics and Space Administration) fanMicrobadge: Get off my lawn!Microbadge: Captain America fanMicrobadge: Meh.
I agree. Dealbreaker. It's weird too. They print comics all of the time so they DO understand the importance of editing. I guess there's no crossover in staff?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Mott
United States
Provo
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I just think it's particularly strange because a cursory glance catches stuff like that. If a person simply read it once after it was typed, none of those would have gotten through. It's clear it was never play-tested because any player trying to use the card would spot that problem. Bizarre. Was the game developed by one person...on their cell phone??

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Escobedo
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well that is disheartening. I was given a version of the rule book to look through recently and I noticed typos on the cards in the rules. I asked if they would be fixed in the final game but it looks like the answer is no. This might be the last game I buy from IDW because they have had the same issue in other games as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Roy
United States
Woodside
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Typical rush job from IDW. Us Splat Attack Kickstarter backers are STILL waiting for all the missing components and rules. It's ridiculous the way there handle the game side of their production.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew Scott
United States
Evanston
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Poool? Poool?

I've made typos in printed materials before, so on one hand I'm sympathetic. On the other hand, I was always chastened and I took my lumps, which is what IDW can expect now.

This is disheartening indeed about the quality of the rest of the production.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Conley
United States
Milwaukie
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
Life is too short not to live it up a little!
Microbadge: ChristianMicrobadge: Baseball Highlights: 2045 fanMicrobadge: Grateful Dead fanMicrobadge: Rush fanMicrobadge: Gloom of Kilforth: A Fantasy Quest Game fan
Thanks for sharing this. I’m out for sure based on this alone. I have no plans to play something like this with the grandkids and spend the session playing spot the error. If they clean it up in a future printing, I’ll reconsider. Inexcusable. yuk
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jarrett McDonald
United States
Saint Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
I have contacted IDW Customer service, which you can read (below).

- - -
Sin Trader wrote on September 4, 2019:

Hello,

I have taken the time to reach out to you regarding the numerous, egregious typos in your game and your response is to have me proofread for more errors and send you photos? Somebody at IDW didn't do their job, errors were made and not fixed before printing, and now your asking me to do their job so you can fix them next time? Frankly, that is ridiculous.

I would like to be put in contact with a manager of IDW Customer Service, please.

- - -
IDW wrote on Sep 4, 2019:

Apologies for the typos and for your frustration with the quality of the game. If you wouldn't mind providing pictures of the typos, so that we can make sure to fix anything for subsequent printings, it would be very much appreciated.

thanks,

IDW Games

- - -
Sin Trader wrote on August 23, 2019 :

Hello, I recently purchased the IDW board game "Batman: The Animated Series – Rogues Gallery" and was very disappointed in the numerous typos I discovered on many of the card text(s). I can provide you with photos, if needed.

While I understand these typos are not "game-breaking" they are very discouraging and reflect poorly on the overall quality assurance of the product. I'm interested to hear what you have to say regarding this, as it makes me hesitate to purchase another IDW published game immediately upon release.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Jones
United States
California
flag msg tools
Hello everyone. The typos are my fault. I'm bummed to have let down a game with so many great aspects - the art is fantastic, the theme is super fun, and the game plays very well. I hope you'll give it a chance for those reasons, but understand your frustrations. I've fixed the process issue that let these typos slip through and any future printings of Rogues Gallery will be spotless. Thanks for your understanding.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Mott
United States
Provo
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sin_Trader wrote:
I have contacted IDW Customer service, which you can read (below).

- - -
Sin Trader wrote on September 4, 2019:

Hello,

I have taken the time to reach out to you regarding the numerous, egregious typos in your game and your response is to have me proofread for more errors and send you photos? Somebody at IDW didn't do their job, errors were made and not fixed before printing, and now your asking me to do their job so you can fix them next time? Frankly, that is ridiculous.

I would like to be put in contact with a manager of IDW Customer Service, please.

- - -
IDW wrote on Sep 4, 2019:

Apologies for the typos and for your frustration with the quality of the game. If you wouldn't mind providing pictures of the typos, so that we can make sure to fix anything for subsequent printings, it would be very much appreciated.

thanks,

IDW Games

- - -
Sin Trader wrote on August 23, 2019 :

Hello, I recently purchased the IDW board game "Batman: The Animated Series – Rogues Gallery" and was very disappointed in the numerous typos I discovered on many of the card text(s). I can provide you with photos, if needed.

While I understand these typos are not "game-breaking" they are very discouraging and reflect poorly on the overall quality assurance of the product. I'm interested to hear what you have to say regarding this, as it makes me hesitate to purchase another IDW published game immediately upon release.
In their defense, you did offer to send photos before they even replied, so not sure why you took offense when they accepted the offer.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Mott
United States
Provo
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
RyanJonesSD wrote:
Hello everyone. The typos are my fault. I'm bummed to have let down a game with so many great aspects - the art is fantastic, the theme is super fun, and the game plays very well. I hope you'll give it a chance for those reasons, but understand your frustrations. I've fixed the process issue that let these typos slip through and any future printings of Rogues Gallery will be spotless. Thanks for your understanding.
Bummer, Ryan. Games, for me, are more than an activity. I buy them for the quality of the components as well. With so many options, it's hard to justify a tabletop purchase that only offers half the expected value. Good luck to you guys with future projects, though!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Stroud
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
RyanJonesSD wrote:
When will future printings be available and how do we know which printing we are purchasing? I was excited for this game, but the typos are a deal breaker for me as well. I do thank you for your humility and honesty though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jarrett McDonald
United States
Saint Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
I submitted the photos, as requested to IDW Customer Service.
I voiced my concerns and disappointment to which they apologized to me personally (and posted in this thread).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew Scott
United States
Evanston
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
RyanJonesSD wrote:
Oh, man, Ryan, I've been where you are -- maybe not quite so publicly, but the feelings of anger and disappointment are still just as raw. Mistakes are part of the human experience, and I appreciate your willingness to cop to them here in this forum.

Many great things are yet to come for you, and this game too, I'm sure. Chin up, and remember: This too shall pass.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Jones
United States
California
flag msg tools
FlyingMastodon wrote:

When will future printings be available and how do we know which printing we are purchasing? I was excited for this game, but the typos are a deal breaker for me as well. I do thank you for your humility and honesty though.
No plan yet on a second printing as this one just touched down, but our other BTAS game Gotham City Under Siege sold through stock quickly and just finished its third printing in just over a year. Each of our printings has a specific manufacturer code on the back of the box that will indicate the print run. It's not always as blatant as "Print Run #X", but it is unique to each run.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grant F.
msg tools
Will owners of the original typo edition be eligible to get a free or modestly costed upgrade?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Jones
United States
Charlotte
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
RyanJonesSD wrote:
FlyingMastodon wrote:

No plan yet on a second printing as this one just touched down, but our other BTAS game Gotham City Under Siege sold through stock quickly and just finished its third printing in just over a year. Each of our printings has a specific manufacturer code on the back of the box that will indicate the print run. It's not always as blatant as "Print Run #X", but it is unique to each run.
I'm really looking forward to buying this when a new printing comes out.

Ryan, or anyone who owns the first edition, can you share with us the code on the back of that first edition so we know which one NOT to buy?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Jones
United States
Charlotte
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
One_Punch_Man wrote:
The games looks fun, but man that is not okay. I wonder if we will see a second printing or how many will skip pucking it up to the lack of quality control.
I'm seeing copies at CSI now, can anyone confirm if this is a second printing and if the errors have been fixed?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls