♪ Isaäc Bickërstaff ♫
United States
Greer
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
Entropy Seminar:
badge
The results of a five yeer studee ntu the sekund lw uf thurmodynamiks aand itz inevibl fxt hon shewb rt nslpn raq liot.
mb
Can someone clarify the Tavern for me? I understand that a number of cards are dealt face-up to the middle of the table before the game starts, and I understand that a player can choose to draw a card from the Tavern instead of from the draw or discard piles. So....

Are all cards in the Tavern visible at all times, or are they dealt into a face-up pile, so that only the top color can be seen? The rules say "face-up in a column," but also that "The top most color is the color of the port-of-call." These statements seem contradictory to me.

Furthermore, the rules state that when scoring, "The highest face-up card in the tavern is the port-of-call." Does this mean the highest VALUED card of all cards, which are visible, or the highest card PHYSICALLY, in a stack of face-up cards?

My guess is that the cards are stacked in a face-up pile, so that only one card is visible, but that those players with excellent memories can remember which cards are buried beneath the top-most card. Is this the correct interpretation?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brent Mair
United States
Roy
Utah
flag msg tools
The Meeple Nation Boardgame Podcast - 30 minutes a week!
badge
BGGCon 2015 or Bust
mbmbmbmbmb
The cards are accordioned out face-up so you can see the values and colors. So you can see each card but the top card overlaps the next which overlaps the next, and so on.

The color of the top card determines the color of the tavern. When someone sets sail the players build their crew but they can set aside and not count any of the cards that match the tavern. That is what is meant by the port-of-call. The colors of cards farther down the stack only matter if the cards above them have been removed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lucas Dramowicz
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The Tavern is set up like this:

All the cards in the Tavern are always visible (they can overlap to save space as is the case in the picture above), so the highest face-up card is the card that is fully visible (and is top-most) - the color of this card is the port-of-call.

The visibility of the Tavern = more strategy.

Hope this helps,
Lucas

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
♪ Isaäc Bickërstaff ♫
United States
Greer
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
Entropy Seminar:
badge
The results of a five yeer studee ntu the sekund lw uf thurmodynamiks aand itz inevibl fxt hon shewb rt nslpn raq liot.
mb
Thank you both!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.