Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Martin Juhl
Denmark
Ørbæk
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmb
As I can read in a lot of the articles posted on this game, a lot of players are complaining that the game can drag on forever because of the endless negotiations!

My group had the same problems, and as a result we decided to make our own negotiation-rules. In our opinion, these rules have made the game a lot more interresting and fast-paced.

1) When the trading tower is placed (which is not negotiable) the trader has 1 minut to recieve offers from the other players regarding movement of the tower and actions.

2) After recieving these offers, the trader accepts or declines any offer, and moves the tower on the board.

3) When the trader-tower, at any time is moved to a building (in which there are no accepted offers), the trader decides whether or not to take the action associated with this building. If he decides not to take the action, there is an auction among the other players to take the action in this building. (Highest offer wins - only money can be offered.)
Note: If the trader is interested in other goods than money (wares, cards ect.) he will have to accept an offer before he enters the building.

Note: sometimes it can be favorable for the trader to decline several offers for the same building, hoping that an auction can bring in more money!

It was important for us not to change this great game too much, but with these few changes it has once again become one of my groups favorites. Especially bacause the game-length has been reduced from nearly 3 hours of endless negotiation, to a much more tense a fast-paced game that can be played in 1-1½ hour.

I you have any comments, suggestions or questions I woluld like to hear about them. The subject is open for discussion!

Martin Juhl
Spilleklubben "Snaden"
Denmark.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hank Meyer
United States
Greenbelt
Maryland
flag msg tools
Re:A good way to pace up the game
mjuhl (#41881),our group found the same problem - endless negociations....we agreed that offers now arrive quickly - and that the Tower player has 2 minutes to decide/renegotiate, etc....we have found that there is a 'law of diminishing returns' when people engage in long bartering campaigns. There are so many opportunities for trade that what you make lose in one deal you could make up in the next - and trying to shave the edges too fine takes time and doesn't contribute significantly to the outcome. So now we just start hollerin' out trades - and the Tower player starts wheelin' and dealin' - and the game is usually over in less than 2 hours.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
m k
United States
flag msg tools
Re:Is this game broken?
HankM (#41941),
While it might not work for everybody, I commend your effort & am happy this works for you. We discussed this & it never worked.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.