Got two game tables and a microphone
United States
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Before I begin, I have to say that most of my issues were on the components and contents of the game, and not the gameplay. Here is my first impression.

There are two sides: zombies and the cast of humans stereotypically found in some schlocky horror movies. The basic game has six scenarios; most from what I read were keeping a certain number of zombies away (or in, if you're the undead) a target area for a designated number of rounds. The human extras often use distance weapons, where the zombies use pure numbers. Very simple basic game.

I liked the fact Last Night on Earth kept it simple, and kept scenarios to a minimum. Betrayal on the House on the Hill had some of the same "bloody ambiance", but there was actually too much to absorb with the numerous scenarios and scripts involved.

Obviously with this game, presentation was they key. The glossy bits (except for the stuck together cards) look superb. I applaud Flying Frog games for addressing the issue of the stuck together cards so quickly. Once the cards are unstuck, I believe there should have been a card list in the rules; the cards are important enough for them to be included. The game board was very nice, with graphics appropriate for an ELvira hosted horror flik. The zombies were awesome, and the use of multicolored zombies to play "zombie teams" is clever. For the human minis, not everyone likes to paint minis. The human minis were not distinguishable enough in some cases. The box art and character cards were right on, giving the game the appropriate feel.

We played the soundtrack, but some felt the music started relatively strong, then became irrelevant. Although it was a nice thought and intended for flavor, the soundtrack could have been left out to make room for some of my proposed changes.

Were the dice really weighted so the #1 would occur more, or were the dice just cheaper? The one dot was unusually large in comparison with die size...

There were only a couple of actual gameplay points I wanted to make; the first point was about zombie movement through walls. Although it seemed to be present for simplicity, I felt it was odd zombies could just smash through walls, and humans couldn't subsequently walk through these holes, ala dungeon twister. There were also card questions that occasionally came up, such as how long CAN a dog hold off three zombies (ala the dog card)?

Even though us humans were eaten in my first game of this, I did have fun. I see myself playing this game from time to time; this just seemed a little over-hyped for me. Keepp in mind I'm not a horror buff, so my willingness to play it again is meant as an endorsement.

One previous reviewer of this game mentioned price. If I ever thought of buying the game, I would wait until it got at least below 30 dollars, maybe even to the 20-25 dollar range. The current price just seems a little too high for the content.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tommy Dean
Australia
Earlwood
New South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It seems a fair enough response sir...but if I may just argue slightly against a few of your negatives.

Dice: A game always puts these in...and it has been noted before I think that these were not exactly what was intended. I myself am not a fan of 10mm dice period so I quickly swapped in some regulation size and all is well.

Minis: This is always a split choice I think. Yes...they would look better painted...but had they come that way it would have affected the cost even more which is bad given your last thought. So a 50/50 call...has to be one or the other...and unpainted minis is pretty much game standard...so acceptable.

CD: I don't think this cost nearly as much to include as many make out...and it is a nice original touch and suits the overall theme of trying to create a movie feel. If it works or not is up for debate of course...but still a noble effort.

Zombie walls: This has been discussed before as well. It is more than just for "simplicity"...if it was not possible for the zombies to move thru wall spaces than the humans could easily hide out in a building given the zombies only move 1 space! Then when they DID eventually reach them the humans just run out. There is also nothing to suggest they are smashing holes per se...they may be digging under. Agreed that perhaps either way it might open a way for humans...but marking those spaces would add a complexity and "fiddly bit" that would impact play. It works quite fair as is and keeps it tense.

Rule Questions: There isn't a game on this database that doesn't have pages of questions. I would offer though that in this games case MOST of those questions are actually people seeking confirmation of what they already see as the answer because the game did such a great job of being clear! But if one or two need answers...well...have you read the Arkham Horror rule file?

Price: Well...here I will never agree. Don't take this as a slight...but you kids with the USA flags don't seem to know how good you have it in the game buying dept. To suggest that a game should be the same cost as a book? not convinced at all. The whole pricing issue is a complete discussion in itself...but the longevity, fun, and amount of people that one $30 dollar game can accommodate is well within the definition of fair.

20 bucks gets you a movie and a popcorn ONCE. This game could give you that 10 fold for a pittance.
And those arguments are for a product itself..not accounting for the idea of rewarding creativity, and a touch of adventurous spirit in this here hobby of ours.

But overall I see where you are coming from in a general play way. The hype may indeed be too high for what it is...but MAN have I had a heap of fun with this and expect much more...and if you knew what I paid for it...well...you might want to smash yourself thru a wall

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will
Argentina
Buenos Aires
flag msg tools
designer
ReseƱas de Juegos Argentinos
badge
Need a cool Graphic Design for a game you are Creating ? Maybe a banner for a kickstarter ? Ask for a quote... questions are for FREE :D
mbmbmbmbmb
Just wanted to add my .25 cents about the price of the games. Yes, keep asking for them cheaper, because the cheaper they are the more they will reach the international non first world market, for the ones that still pay a cinema entry 5 dollars.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Man thinks, the river flows.
United States
Riva
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
    I have to admit that we enjoyed our second play much more than our first. Everything flowed more easily and the rule book stayed in the box.

Sag.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.