Popular Tags: [View All]
Paul D
Australia
Carnegie
Victoria
flag msg tools
badge
mb

This game has nice replay value with its wide variety of scenarios, but I thought a simple Random Scenario Generator would be a nice addition

Step 1: Map Setup
By agreement, or die roll, choose Map size:
- SMALL: use 6 tiles
- MEDIUM: Use 12 tiles
- LARGE: Use all 18 tiles

Shuffle all the map tiles and randomly deal:
- 3 to each player if SMALL Map
- 6 to each player if MEDIUM Map
- 9 to each player if LARGE map

Randomly decide who will start with the initiative.

The player with the initiative must randomly selects on of their tiles, and places it in the play area -— she decides which side to place face-up. It must be placed in any one of the as yet unfilled ‘slots’, as shown in the relevant diagram below (and clearly communicate to the other player which slot it’s being placed in). The other player than does the same. Continue until all tile slots are filled.

With the Large Map, after all tiles are placed, the player without the initiative decides if the centre space will be treated as a Chasm, Field, or Mountain:
- Chasm: Cannot be moved into or through, but can be fired across like a normal tile
- Field: Treat this space as if it were a normal map tile with an inherent defence of 0
- Mountain: Cannot be moved through, and cannot be fired across

Then place the indicated tokens on the map tiles. Note: “C” = “Controlled”, “S” = “Scouted”, “1” = “A 1-value Objective token”, “US” = “US All”, “German” = “German ALL”, etc.

Step 3: Weather Effects
A player rolls a D10, and consults the following table. The corresponding effect with apply for the duration of this game:

0 = SUMMER SUN = No Effect
1-3 = WINTER NIGHTS = When attacking a target on the same map tile, gain +1 to all die roll results
4-6 = SPRING RAIN = When attacking, if the target has a Range bonus of 1 or more, add an additional +1 to its Range bonus
7-9 = FALL FOG = Each player starts the game with a Fog of War card in their discard pile (taken from their supply)

Step 3: Setup Card Pools and Decks
Both players simultaneously create their initial decks and card pools per the following:

Step 5: Win Conditions
The map size used determines with win conditions for the players:

- If SMALL Map:
Both: Control 4 Objective points (Note the ‘3’ in your starting area does not count for you)
If both sides are simultaneously pinned, the game ends. The side with the most objective points wins. If tied, the player who currently holds the initiative wins.

- If MEDIUM Map:
US: Control the Radio Tower, or control any two of the “1” objective areas
Germany: Control the Radio Tower, or control any two of the “2” objective areas
If both sides are simultaneously pinned, the game ends. The player who currently holds the initiative wins.

- If LARGE Map:
Both: Control 5 Objective points, or Pin your opponent.

(Special set up for LARGE Map games (performed now): Players, starting with the player who has the initiative, alternate each placing objective tokens one at a time. The players start by first placing two “1” objectives each and then one “3” objective each -- you cannot place them in or adjacent to the areas which are already Scouted for your side. i.e. a total of six objective tokens will be placed, three by each player when this process is finished)

Play then begins with the player who has the initiative (as decided in Step 1).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul D
Australia
Carnegie
Victoria
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Comments/suggestions for improvements or greater variety welcome

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Viktor Karlsson Mantel
Sweden
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This is amazing Paul! Will try for sure. I wonder, have you played Combat Commander Europe by GMT?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul D
Australia
Carnegie
Victoria
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Tolchock wrote:
This is amazing Paul! Will try for sure. I wonder, have you played Combat Commander Europe by GMT?
Thanks, Viktor!

I have played CC:E (and Great War Commander).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Viktor Karlsson Mantel
Sweden
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
prd1982 wrote:
Tolchock wrote:
Thanks, Viktor!

Then you are familiar with the Objective system from CCE? Random (or specific) draw of objectives chit.

Would it be possible to have a similiar mechanic for this game you think?

I belive its one of the greatest game mechanics I have seen. To have some of the games objectives hidden from you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul D
Australia
Carnegie
Victoria
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Tolchock wrote:
prd1982 wrote:
Tolchock wrote:
Thanks, Viktor!

Then you are familiar with the Objective system from CCE? Random (or specific) draw of objectives chit.

Would it be possible to have a similiar mechanic for this game you think?

I belive its one of the greatest game mechanics I have seen. To have some of the games objectives hidden from you.
I think something like that could work well here. It would need some tinkering and simplifying for Undaunted, not only to fit the lighter style of game but also because Undaunted has such fewer spaces on the map than CCE.

But yea, I think it would be possible. I haven't played CCE for a few years, I'm a bit rusty on it, and so I'm not best placed to try and work something up. But if you wanted to take a stab at it I'd be happy to give you some feedback!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Graham
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This is really cool! Thank you!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Manning
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
For those that enjoy surprises..
Keep all cards in play....however shuffle the decks..then draw,face down,the number of cards dictated by the size of scenario chosen.you can determine the number of mortars to whatever you feel is right for the scenario..or any MGs as well...sure,you might be battling 3-4 machine gunners..but hey,that’s part of not knowing what the surprise might be..
Place the remaining cards needed to the supply deck..if low..and cannot meet the amount required...or none left st all...play goes on without them

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Graham
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There are only 3 scouts in each squad, not 5 as your graphic shows. Setting up a small skirmish right now.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul D
Australia
Carnegie
Victoria
flag msg tools
badge
mb
JavaGammer wrote:
There are only 3 scouts in each squad, not 5 as your graphic shows. Setting up a small skirmish right now.
Whoops!
blush
Sorry for the sloppiness

Fixed in original post.

Keen to hear how your skirmish went!

I also took this opportunity to add Scout B as an option for the SMALL map ones. While there's only 4 tiles you'd want to Scout, and ideally only need to scout 2 of them, if your opponent targets your scouts and takes them out before you get to scout the tiles.... games with the SMALL map may not prove as interesting or replayable as I was hoping for here.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Graham
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mid skirmish.... modified small map:

Hell of a fire fight! Germans took snipers and US took Gunners. Germans rolled well and have all but eliminated the US scouts (no cards just their token) so US needs to win on a pin situation or hope for a tie.

A bunch of really bad rolls has me thinking, maybe playing additional rifle team card should have the option of a +1 attack modifier. Like a combined fire in other games. Allows for 1 powerful attack instead of separate attacks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Emmanouil Karakostas
Greece
Thessaloniki
Thessaloniki
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
i also used my coding skills in Python, and with the use of Kivy package, for making Android apps using it, i made a random scenario generator, with many aspects, and balancing, through code, and i have it on my mobile phone
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls