Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jason
United States
Brooklyn Center
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
(As I'm taking a bit longer to make this thorough, I already see several ninjas. Hopefully this will add something to the conversation still.)

With a hat tip to
b-flava b-flava
msg tools

who surprised all us skeptical posters with an actual link to the German manual for the updated edition:

(Edit: The link stopped working. Either the rulebook wasn't final and got released accidentally, or they saw the reaction and decided to rethink. Or neither and it was final and they just didn't want us looking at it and talking about it yet.)

https://www.ravensburger.de/spielanleitungen/ecm/Spielanleit...

It's possible that this artwork isn't final, as Ravensburger didn't put this link out there. I'm posting it here without permission, but I believe it is fair use as I'm reporting it in journalistic fashion.

I'm going to try to keep the judgments minimal and just presents the facts as much as possible.

First, the contents (via the surprisingly good automatic translation):
For the basic game:
164 hexagon tiles:
- 7x 8 buildings (beige, 16x with black back)
- 7x 4 animals (light green, 8x with black back)
- 26 monasteries (yellow, 6x with black back)
-16 castles (dark green, 2x with black back)
- 12 mines (gray, 2x with black back)
- 26 ships (blue, 6x with black back)
42 commodity cards (square, 7 in 6 colors each)
24 silver coins
26 worker chips
12 bonus cards (1 small and 1 gr. In 6 colors)
4 victory point discs (with 100 or 200, in the
4 player colors)
8 pieces (2 each in the 4 player colors)
9 dice (2 each in the 4 player colors and 1 white)
1 game board (double-sided)
16 player boards (4x each No. 1 and No. 2, each 1x No. 3-10)
4 overview panels

For the extensions:
4 hexagon tiles
6 player boards (11a-11f): "The border posts"
9 hexagons: "The White Castles"
5 hexagons: "The inns"
12 cards: "The trade routes"
2 x 4 player boards (12a & 12b): "The Team Game"
2 player boards (13a & 13b): "The Solo Game"
18 tiles: "The Shields"

I think the "4 overview panels" must mean the player aids, as they are no longer on the player boards.

Now, the images. These are low quality in the PDF, so you'll have to squint and possibly zoom (but it won't look any better).

Here's the main board:

It is supposed to be two-sided, so that reduces trying to figure out which depots not to fill every time.
Note the banner area in the bottom-right (for the first/second players to fill each colored area). The actual banners is shown to the right.

And here is the player board:

Edit: And yes, there are player aids for the information that used to be on the boards. (Sorry, it's just come up several times.)

And the team player boards:

Same old dice:

The never-there-when-you-need-them worker:

(Silverling not pictured.)

The goods (at least, the ones in the pdf):

Looks like I'm still going to suffer from "purple blindness."

You can infer the color of the orange one from this expansion tile:

Not shown is the reddish one. I'll also be suffering from the old "red/orange colorblindess".

A building tile:

Here you can see some of the tiles, and what they do. I assume this is also what they'll look like on the player aids:

Not sure I feel like these color band ones are as readable as the original (though it's hard to tell at this resolution):

A closer look at some technology tiles:
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Baier
United States
Grand Forks
North Dakota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Call me crazy, but did they go overboard on transitioning from bland to bold coloring? The busyness of this design makes my eyes bug out a little.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shoosh shoo
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks so much for the pictures. It looks good but i dont see it as superior to the original. Both seem fine to me. Still debating on picking this up. Having all the expansions is tempting.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason
United States
Brooklyn Center
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
elucidarian wrote:
Call me crazy, but did they go overboard on transitioning from bland to bold coloring? The busyness of this design makes my eyes bug out a little.

I feel like they jumped forward by a decade. But the original art felt like it was from the 90s, so...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Allen Cordell
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
elucidarian wrote:

We are in agreement. It went from being this light and airy looking game to being a dark and somber looking game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Farrell
United States
Omaha
Nebraska
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This thread definitely does still add something to the discussion. Thanks a lot for taking the time to break all the elements out like that.

It's really hard to say for sure until I can actually see a physical copy, but so far I like the new game board, dislike the new player board, and find the art and iconography on the tiles to be neither better nor worse than the originals. I'm definitely going to buy a copy, because I don't have the original—I only learned it within the past couple of months and have been waiting for the new edition—but this feels kind of like a missed opportunity.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jamie erskine
Netherlands
Haarlem
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If they kept just the dice pips on the hexes, but lost the white dice-borders on each hex it would look better. We don't need to see a dice design on every hex. Just a hex and a number. We get that it needs to be a dice with that number. That would help reduce some of the mess on the main board.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jared
United States
Telford
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mb
I have some nostalgia for the original art but this stylistically aligns with the theme, things like the buildings are visually clearer, and I really like how the goods are actually discernible in a thematic way now instead of, “and I’m going to use my five to sell my purple bordered crate and sack.”

I agree much of the stroke/borders are unnecessary including the dark stroke on each player board hex. By keeping it light and breaking it it’s cleaner and less busy, the colors will do the rest.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ramo Stott
United States
Knoxville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Thanks for putting this together. I only have the base game and am excited for this due to the expansions alone. I did jump back a bit with the colors of the board. Definitely a shift from the original.

As for colorblindness issues, I wouldn't think that would be a problem because the cargo have the dice values on them. But since I don't have any color blindness, I can't speak to the practical impact.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wil
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
Read more comics!
mbmbmbmbmb
jepmn wrote:
I feel like they jumped forward by a decade. But the original art felt like it was from the 90s, so...

Ha! Yeah, that was my initial reaction.

That said, I like it. It's not a reimagining but the illustrations look like they contain some really cool details, and overall I consider it a nice step forward. I like the sound that there is a 2/3 player side as well.

I'm all in now. I knew I'd purchase it simply for the "includes all expansions, plus one" tag line, but now that I've seen the art I'm ready to preorder.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason
United States
Brooklyn Center
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
rstott24 wrote:
As for colorblindness issues, I wouldn't think that would be a problem because the cargo have the dice values on them. But since I don't have any color blindness, I can't speak to the practical impact.

To be clear, I don't mean ACTUAL colorblindness in my comments earlier. I mean my simple brain sometimes can't remember that the two purples are different, and the red stack I have is not the same as the orange. It's a personal failing. This is probably why most of my CoB games are light on selling goods...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pierre-Marc Duguay
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
In the hope of seeing a world where community and the health of our planet are our top priorities
mbmbmbmbmb
This new version satisfies me. I'm buying.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason
United States
Brooklyn Center
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Strewth78 wrote:
If they kept just the dice pips on the hexes, but lost the white dice-borders on each hex it would look better. We don't need to see a dice design on every hex. Just a hex and a number. We get that it needs to be a dice with that number. That would help reduce some of the mess on the main board.

That's a great observation. I feel like even this hack job I just did is an improvement:

I can online imagine how it'd look if you:
* removed the outline of the dice
* removed the borders between the hexes (or made them very faint)
* made the pips a little fainter.

Edit: And I just now thought "wait, isn't that how it the original edition is? *facepalm*

Still, I think the new design (for all it's other faults) with the styling of the old one for the dice spots is an improvement over the original hexes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Raymond Kempinski
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Well my excitement just died in a burst of color.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marcus Lind
Sweden
Uppsala
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I miss the old score track
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mario S

Colorado
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm actually super pumped about this redesign - it's familiar but still "pops" given the choice of color palette.

As for this thread - so much negativity already. BGG crowd seems impossible to please sometimes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Daddona
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
Get in your hole Scoots!
mbmbmbmbmb
wgerken wrote:

That said, I like it. It's not a reimagining but the illustrations look like they contain some really cool details, and overall I consider it a nice step forward. I like the sound that there is a 2/3 player side as well.

I'm all in now. I knew I'd purchase it simply for the "includes all expansions, plus one" tag line, but now that I've seen the art I'm ready to preorder.

I have been monitoring the forums waiting for pictures of the new edition. Kudos to the OP for taking the time to write the thread.

Wil: I will need to check out your copy when you get it in. I agree, the expansion are what will make the purchase worthwhile. The art is a small upgrade. If there is indeed a board for every player count, I might pull the trigger.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Allen Cordell
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jepmn wrote:
Strewth78 wrote:

That's a great observation. I feel like even this hack job I just did is an improvement:

I can online imagine how it'd look if you:
* removed the outline of the dice
* removed the borders between the hexes (or made them very faint)
* made the pips a little fainter.

Edit: And I just now thought "wait, isn't that how it the original edition is? *facepalm*

Still, I think the new design (for all it's other faults) with the styling of the old one for the dice spots is an improvement over the original hexes.

I see the new and old boards next to each other and I already miss the old boards, lol
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
richard scales
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mb
It looks like a missed opportunity to me. That artwork looks dated and over busy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Michigan
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
What happened to the handy reference on the player boards for the building functions??
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason
United States
Brooklyn Center
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
SteezyStan wrote:
I'm actually super pumped about this redesign - it's familiar but still "pops" given the choice of color palette.

As for this thread - so much negativity already. BGG crowd seems impossible to please sometimes.

I think there are legitimate things to be negative about for this design, though. I don't think it's terrible, by any means. I think it's probably better than the old design in more ways than it's worse.

As pointed out above, the decision to make the hexes have whitish dice was not a good one in terms of busyness. I also don't know that those "stripes" on the building powers is a good idea. It's also a shame that when they have goods in six colors, two of them have to be different shades of purple. There are more colors, after all. Another decision is to make the banners (for completing all regions of one color) stack on top of each other, so the player can't see the point values for the 2nd place.

So I think there are plenty of issues with the redesign. You can't please everyone, but I don't know who would be pleased by these facets I'm pointing out. The best I can think someone might say about them is "they don't bother me."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason
United States
Brooklyn Center
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
educatedgravy wrote:
What happened to the handy reference on the player boards for the building functions??

As noted above, there are player aids.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
SteezyStan wrote:

Seems like you are just maybe giving an ironically negative reading to a few people feeling a bit disappointed. People can dislike the art, and should not be accused of coming at things with an agenda of negativity. I wouldn’t have bother commenting on the art, which I found fine then and fine now, except to point out that the probably many people like me who are fine with either art have nothing to add (beyond now having this), and thus no reason to post.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Buchanan
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I think it'd be a good idea to reserve final judgement until we see more photos of the actual components.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ponsonby Britt, OBE
United States
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I appreciate the breakdown, Jason. I am officially only interested in this for the new expansion.

Looking at the comparison, it does make me curious:
•If the tiles are the same size, then the player boards are likely smaller (as pointed out, they contain less information).
•If the player boards are the same size as previous, then the tiles might be larger?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4  Next »   |