Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Bob Long
United States
Woodbridge
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok, I know that sounds like a stupid question but when you are a certain age and have no computer skills at all...its probably a relevant question.

So how do you sell games on BGG? Is there a step by step guide to help the old guy out. I have bought games on BGG but my wife sez its time to sell games...evidently I am a hoarder of games. I do have a paypal account, so I guess folks send money to that account.

There are games I will play until the grim reaper shows up...but I do need to start allowing someone else to enjoy the games I do not play...or rarely get a chance to do so.

Thanks for helping me out...and again I have zero computer skills.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawn King
United States
Charles City
Iowa
flag msg tools
mb
https://boardgamegeek.com/wiki/page/GeekList_auction

I think this is what your looking for. I have never auctioned anything myself on Geekbay but this looks like the place to start.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Asher Atlas
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Here are a few things people tend to do:
1.post games in the marketplace - BGG has a pretty easy to use marketplace where you can post your games for sale. One easy way to post is to go to the BGG page of the game you want to sell and scroll down until you reach the "market"section. There you will find a "sell" button to sell that specific game. Another option would be to click your name on the top right and select the Market option. There you will see a "sell" link on the left menu. The selling form itself is rather self explanatory.

2. Have an auction - this is actually a tiny bit more complicated but allows you to post multiple item at the same time and let people bid on them for a set amount of time, with you determining the starting bid, reserve price and "buy it now" price for each item. There are explanations on how to do that in the forums. Don't have a link right now to give but I'm sure someone else will help soon.

3.Some cities have a local geeklist that allows you to post items in them. For example:
https://boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/198692/nyc-flea-market-tr... for NYC
https://boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/259491/flea-market-106-do... - general flea market.
They usually have instructions on the main post, but are rather simple to use. Just click "add item" on the thread and add your game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Travis Perry
United States
York
PA
flag msg tools
mbmb
Can also go to Market, then Geek Market, then Sell, and enter the required information. You can also upload photos (most sellers don't but I find it helps).

If you've purchased from BGG before, then you know how the buying process goes. After selling, BGG will eventually send you an invoice for 3% of your sale. I personally do everything through Paypal and most people do to, so you should be fine there.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eddie B
United States
Unspecified
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mb
buseyhead wrote:
Ok, I know that sounds like a stupid question but when you are a certain age and have no computer skills at all...its probably a relevant question.

So how do you sell games on BGG? Is there a step by step guide to help the old guy out. I have bought games on BGG but my wife sez its time to sell games...evidently I am a hoarder of games. I do have a paypal account, so I guess folks send money to that account.

There are games I will play until the grim reaper shows up...but I do need to start allowing someone else to enjoy the games I do not play...or rarely get a chance to do so.

Thanks for helping me out...and again I have zero computer skills.

You listen to your wife? shake
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Karamanyan
United States
Clinton
Washington
flag msg tools
The Marketplace Seller Guide helped me get started with the basics of using the Geek Market to sell games. I'm not super tech savvy but had little to no issues with just following it step by step.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich Keiser
United States
Waunakee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Start slow.

Don't think you are going to liquidate all at once. This is a slow-motion market.

Game could sell immediately. It could sit there for months (or years).

Also depends on what you have.

Auctions get the attention of bargain hunters, so don't expect much. Remember, the same game probably exists in the market already, so auction bidders could have it at a higher price if they wanted (without any wait).

If you do an auction, don't list too many items. Perhaps five or ten.

Bigger audience is definitely eBay, but then again, depends on what you have for sale.

Good luck.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marcus
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
darthhugo wrote:
Start slow.

Don't think you are going to liquidate all at once. This is a slow-motion market.

Game could sell immediately. It could sit there for months (or years).

Yup, pretty good overview.

I've been selling on the BGG Marketplace for awhile and games in high demand (and well priced) can sell within days or even hours, but other games can linger...

For example, I just sold a game yesterday that I listed back in January 2018.

Re. pricing, I'd cross check selling prices on eBay and the list of sold games in bgg price history to figure out what's a reasonable price to ask.

If you're selling wargames, I'd recommend posting in the monthly Wargame Flea Market geeklist:

https://boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/151385/monthly-wargame-fl...

Pictures and at least a text description definitely help. Too many listings imo don't seem to provide either...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruticus
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Get a digital scale and buy postage through PayPal.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Here’s a local flea market link if you are in Woodbridge: https://www.boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/205781/washington-dc-...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
clarence neal

chattanooga
Tennessee
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

A word of caution about using the BGG selling history....It can be wildly inaccurate. Often times when someone wins several games in an auction, the seller bundles them all under one game to list in the market. Suddenly there is a Ticket to Ride that shows $147 selling price that is actually the Ticket to Ride, two expansion maps, a custom Broken Token organizer, Eldritch Horror and 3 Attack wing Ships.
There are also periods when a game might be OOP where the prices are high, but since have fallen due to reprinting that drives the average price outta whack.
I'm not saying that you can't look at the BGG prices, just to be aware of what you are looking at.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich Keiser
United States
Waunakee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ditto on the BGG price history as a non-precise data point. Use it as a general guide.

As always, set the price that you feel is right. Slide it down if nothing sells. And again, even though this is a site about boardgaming, there are way more potential buyers that game who never visit BGG, let alone buy on the marketplace.

List in multiple locations to spread your marketing efforts.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls