Recommend
1 
 Thumb up
 Hide
59 Posts
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Everything Else » Chit Chat

Subject: Dumbledore is Gay says author. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mike Bourgeois
Canada
Victoria
British Columbia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb

http://ca.news.yahoo.com/s/reuters/entertainment_rowling_col

Just when you thought it couldn't get any weirder... I can't imagine why she sat on this thought for so long? Perhaps she was worried that she'd offend some of the readers. Well I can honestly say that I never saw it coming.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott A. Reed
United States
Lawrence
Kansas
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mb
Well, put me in the camp of "I don't really see how this is relevant." Though her statement says that Dumbledore fell in love with the other guy... that really didn't come out in the reading, and I read their relationship as something more of "good friends and comrades". Whatever the case, it really seems immaterial to the plotlines.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Steak Fairy
United States
Columbia
South Carolina
flag msg tools
Games? People still play games??
badge
Specious arguments are not proof of trollish intent.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
This is not particularly interesting. Of far greater prurient appeal is the fact that Lily Potter was a transsexual, her husband was a pedophile, Dudley and Harry played "doctor" for almost the entire first summer that Harry lived with those people, and most shocking of all, the Weasley twins were homosexual, incestuous, and closet cross-dressers. Ginnie Weasley got her first case of gonorrhea at the age of 7 by licking a toilet seat, but nobody really thought it was anything else at the time.
8 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"that's a smith and wesson, and you've had your six"
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, yes, and Greedo shot first.
9 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Uffe
Sweden
Stockholm
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmb
My first impression was that it probably was something that the author made up for her own amusement after writing the books. But the article says that she corrected a movie script for it. So Dumbledore might very well have been born homosexual.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"that's a smith and wesson, and you've had your six"
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Burzum wrote:
So Dumbledore might very well have been born homosexual.


Except for one small flaw in your theory. Dumbledore isn't real.
17 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Kandrac
United States
Grand Prairie
TX
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Burzum wrote:
My first impression was that it probably was something that the author made up for her own amusement after writing the books. But the article says that she corrected a movie script for it. So Dumbledore might very well have been born homosexual.


Help me out here. What percentage of homosexuals are born homosexual?

Gg
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Severus Snape
Canada
flag msg tools
Pascal said, "The eternal silence of these infinite spaces terrifies me."
badge
"The heart has its reasons which reason knows nothing of."--Pascal
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
This "news" is pointless. Dumbledore's sexual preference has no relevance in the book, no importance in the plot. Why mention it now? Is she suddenly starved for attention? Perhaps she has not sold enough books. Or maybe she just wants to needlessly poke a few bears along her path to fame. yuk

goo
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Uffe
Sweden
Stockholm
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmb
Gamegrunt wrote:
Help me out here. What percentage of homosexuals are born homosexual?

I think that you are misunderstanding me on purpose, you muggle.

But in any case I don't think that you can be born with sexual preferences. It would probably be genetical then and homosexuality probably wouldn't have survived that because homosexual couples make bad breeders.

There's still a large crowd that insists that homosexuality isn't a choice and that it's something you're born with. It's used as a defense in the lines of that you shouldn't fault them because they're born that way.

I haven't read the latest Harry Potter book. I liked the second and the fourth. I wasn't very fond of the sixth.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Severus Snape
Canada
flag msg tools
Pascal said, "The eternal silence of these infinite spaces terrifies me."
badge
"The heart has its reasons which reason knows nothing of."--Pascal
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
MisterCranky wrote:
This is not particularly interesting. Of far greater prurient appeal is the fact that Lily Potter was a transsexual, her husband was a pedophile, Dudley and Harry played "doctor" for almost the entire first summer that Harry lived with those people, and most shocking of all, the Weasley twins were homosexual, incestuous, and closet cross-dressers. Ginnie Weasley got her first case of gonnorrhea at the age of 7 by licking a toilet seat, but nobody really thought it was anything else at the time.


Mister Cranky, I can't wait for your new book, The Josh Adelson Files, to come out. Will Josh himself be "outed"? Will his wife throw him out and burn all his games? Will it be a "kiss & tell" book? Or a "kiss my ***" bio? The excitment builds!

goo
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Severus Snape
Canada
flag msg tools
Pascal said, "The eternal silence of these infinite spaces terrifies me."
badge
"The heart has its reasons which reason knows nothing of."--Pascal
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
I think that you are misunderstanding me on purpose, you muggle.


Some questions:

What percentage of the population is born muggle?
How many people are muggle by choice?
How many people would rather snuggle than muggle?
How many people would like to hug their inner muggle?
How is it that muggles represent such a small percentage of the population, but have such an impact over the non-muggle world?
If you find a muggle in your closet, and bring the muggle out of the closet, are you making the world a better place, or have you only made more room for non-muggles to fit in your closet?


goo
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
If Actions Speak Louder Than Words, Then Actions x2 Speak Louder Than Actions
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
badge
One of the Original Twelve
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Gamegrunt wrote:
Burzum wrote:
My first impression was that it probably was something that the author made up for her own amusement after writing the books. But the article says that she corrected a movie script for it. So Dumbledore might very well have been born homosexual.


Help me out here. What percentage of homosexuals are born homosexual?

Gg


Beats me. But I can tell you of a case where someone turned out to be an asshole, born that way or not.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wesley
Nepal
Aberdeen
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mb
JUST "Dumbledore"? Here's another *News Flash*~at the end of "the Wizard of OZ", then it was ALL "just a dream"!, while the more important 'question' is:
WHO 'shot' JK? It don't matter if they were the 1st, yet, that ought to become 'answered'! Extra 'props' if this were done with "arrows"!
surprise
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karl Deckard
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
bentlarsen wrote:
This "news" is pointless. Dumbledore's sexual preference has no relevance in the book, no importance in the plot. Why mention it now? Is she suddenly starved for attention? Perhaps she has not sold enough books. Or maybe she just wants to needlessly poke a few bears along her path to fame. yuk

goo


To answer your question, she mentions it now because an audience member asked if Dumbledore ever fell in love. She simply answered the question by telling the story of who he fell in love with, which happened to be another man. It's not pointless; it's just part of the fiction which she created.
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Severus Snape
Canada
flag msg tools
Pascal said, "The eternal silence of these infinite spaces terrifies me."
badge
"The heart has its reasons which reason knows nothing of."--Pascal
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
It's not pointless; it's just part of the fiction which she created.


I understand that she answered a reader's question. As far as the plot is concerned, it is not relevant. It has no importance in the plot, because for all intent Dumbledoor's sexual preference matters not to the story. It is much ado about nothing because it was not relevant in the story.

I don't think that it is fair to readers to reveal information about the characters that is not revealed in the books, whether such information is relevant or not. If such information is important, she should just continue the series. Imagine Hogwarts when Snape, James Potter, Lilly, etc. were students.

goo

And as has already been mentioned, we are arguing about a make-believe world; have we found our own world so boring and irrelevant that we must now enter one which does not exists in order to find new fights? shake
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd McCorkle
United States
Anderson
Indiana
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
bentlarsen wrote:
And as has already been mentioned, we are arguing about a make-believe world; have we found our own world so boring and irrelevant that we must now enter one which does not exists in order to find new fights? shake
Fighting in make believe worlds hurt less?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Bourgeois
Canada
Victoria
British Columbia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb

Although it does not really matter whether he (Dumbledore) is gay or not... what does matter is that it is only added in after the fact. I really think that it is somewhat suspect that she chooses to reveal this fact after the series is done. I really think that if her assertion is true at all that she is ashamed of her characters orientation. Just imagine the conflict that would have arisen if it had been broached that Dumbledore was gay. People are funny that way... take a comfortable assumption from them and they get downright nasty about reasserting their blissful ignorance.

I think that yes now she feels quite happy with her billion plus and doesn't really care if the press goes down the toilet. She's got what she wants and that's pretty much that.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I'm saving all my sleep for another life
United States
Wichita
Kansas
flag msg tools
Spoon!
badge
Well, once again we find that clowning and anarchy don't mix.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
The chick in The Crying Game is really a dude.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Melissa
Australia
Parkville
Vic
flag msg tools
admin
designer
May you find the Perfect Shoe! xxx
badge
Mostly offline, but trying.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
MisterCranky wrote:
This is not particularly interesting. Of far greater prurient appeal is the fact that Lily Potter was a transsexual, her husband was a pedophile, Dudley and Harry played "doctor" for almost the entire first summer that Harry lived with those people, and most shocking of all, the Weasley twins were homosexual, incestuous, and closet cross-dressers. Ginnie Weasley got her first case of gonorrhea at the age of 7 by licking a toilet seat, but nobody really thought it was anything else at the time.


You need to stop reading fan fiction.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karl Deckard
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Drew1365 wrote:
When writers create a character, they sometimes create very elaborate backstories and other personal bits about that character even if it doesn't actually matter to the story. This has the effect of making that character more real to the writer, and perhaps a bit easier to find that character's voice. You know that character, and everything about them--even stuff that doesn't come into play in the story--informs the tone you take toward that character. It's a writing technique.

So even though it doesn't really matter to the story, Rowling's statement doesn't surprise me. In her mind Dumbledore was gay, and it colored the way she wrote him. I suspect she could tell us all sorts of things about every single one of the HP characters that don't actually matter to the stories, but inform how she wrote them nevertheless.

Well stated, Drew.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I'm saving all my sleep for another life
United States
Wichita
Kansas
flag msg tools
Spoon!
badge
Well, once again we find that clowning and anarchy don't mix.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
MisterCranky wrote:
Ginnie Weasley got her first case of gonorrhea at the age of 7 by licking a toilet seat, but nobody really thought it was anything else at the time.


Her first?
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Steak Fairy
United States
Columbia
South Carolina
flag msg tools
Games? People still play games??
badge
Specious arguments are not proof of trollish intent.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, you really don't want the detailed history, trust me.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Severus Snape
Canada
flag msg tools
Pascal said, "The eternal silence of these infinite spaces terrifies me."
badge
"The heart has its reasons which reason knows nothing of."--Pascal
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Drew1365 wrote:
When writers create a character, they sometimes create very elaborate backstories and other personal bits about that character even if it doesn't actually matter to the story. This has the effect of making that character more real to the writer, and perhaps a bit easier to find that character's voice. You know that character, and everything about them--even stuff that doesn't come into play in the story--informs the tone you take toward that character. It's a writing technique.

So even though it doesn't really matter to the story, Rowling's statement doesn't surprise me. In her mind Dumbledore was gay, and it colored the way she wrote him. I suspect she could tell us all sorts of things about every single one of the HP characters that don't actually matter to the stories, but inform how she wrote them nevertheless.


Gosh and geewillickers, Drew. As an English teacher, and writer wannabe, I would have never known this unless you had told me; time to take up history.

As an English teacher, wannabe writer, and reader ad nauseum, I can state that it has no relevance; put those history plans on hold--for now.

Homosexual, heterosexual, bisexual, trisexual, quadsexual, asexual, it makes no difference in either the character of Dumbledore or in the plot that we read. To see it otherwise is to do more than read between the lines; it is to make up new lines where none existed.

But if it makes you feel better, feel free to pretend otherwise; keep flogging that dead horse of an issue more lifeless than the trees from which came the paper upon which Harry Pottor series was printed (unless it was recycled paper, like the seventh book here in Canuklehead land).

As for the Geek chearing you on (because we know what an important issue this is--if you thought BGG's were weird, wait until you see what's flown in from Hogwarts): time to go home; I hear your mother calling. Maybe she's found a life for you at last.

goo
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Severus Snape
Canada
flag msg tools
Pascal said, "The eternal silence of these infinite spaces terrifies me."
badge
"The heart has its reasons which reason knows nothing of."--Pascal
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
mbourgeois wrote:

Although it does not really matter whether he (Dumbledore) is gay or not... what does matter is that it is only added in after the fact. I really think that it is somewhat suspect that she chooses to reveal this fact after the series is done. I really think that if her assertion is true at all that she is ashamed of her characters orientation. Just imagine the conflict that would have arisen if it had been broached that Dumbledore was gay. People are funny that way... take a comfortable assumption from them and they get downright nasty about reasserting their blissful ignorance.

I think that yes now she feels quite happy with her billion plus and doesn't really care if the press goes down the toilet. She's got what she wants and that's pretty much that.


Well stated, Michael.

Now, where have I heard this before? Hey, wait. Is that my mom calling?! What's that, Mom? You say you found a life for me? Ah, Mom; stop embarrassing me like that! blush

goo
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Antigonus Monophthalmus
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmb
I think Mr. Snape is upset because we're closing in on his little secret.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.