Canada
Fort Vermilion
AB
flag msg tools
badge
mb
http://apnews.myway.com/article/20071020/D8SCUHOG0.html
------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Before her arrival, Bhutto said, she was warned suicide squads had been dispatched to kill her.

"There was one suicide squad from the Taliban elements, one suicide squad from al-Qaida, one suicide squad from Pakistani Taliban and a fourth - a group - I believe from Karachi," she said.

She said telephone numbers of suicide squads had been given to her by a "brotherly" country and she alerted Musharraf in a letter dated Oct. 16. She also said she had told Musharraf that three officials - whom she would not name - were planning suicide attacks on her."

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

My thoughts are that it's incredible to be in a situation where at least FOUR separate groups want you and those around you dead. I can't even comprehend the mindset you need to have to go back into a situation like that. Personally I'd have to say she is personally brave but selfish as well as she knew she was going to expose many people around her to certain death.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Boise
Idaho
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Quote:
My thoughts are that it's incredible to be in a situation where at least FOUR separate groups want you and those around you dead. I can't even comprehend the mindset you need to have to go back into a situation like that. Personally I'd have to say she is personally brave but selfish as well as she knew she was going to expose many people around her to certain death.

Really? What would the world be like if all it took to shut somebody up was a death threat? But then, I guess it worked for Stalin and Mao... but they did have to get all dirty and slaughter about 100 million of their people to stay in power.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wesley
Nepal
Aberdeen
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
WOW! I'm just glad that I don't have to worry about those "Islamo-fascist-pigs" coming after 'moi'! or does I now? At least with their prominent "towel-heads", then I'll 'see' these from a mile away and they'll stand out so much better than the regular 'denizens' for around here'n!
"Don't forget to bring a 'towel-head'!"
surprise
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc B.
United States
Palm Bay
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
off topic.. sorry.

Darren! Stop making me hit my monitor!

Your avatar is driving me crazy!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren M
Canada
Fort Vermilion
AB
flag msg tools
badge
mb
I wasn't really making a political statement of any kind... more or less a "gut feeling" statement about what that must have been like... to know you are so hated that many organizations and individuals WILL be trying to kill you if you go back to your homeland and that chances are VERY HIGH that people WILL be dying around you if you do... almost with 100% certainty since there is no bluffing when it comes to threats in those terrorist organizations.

I DO stand beside my statement... brave and selfish. A dichotomy that occurs constantly for occupants in countries on the edge of constant tension. Knowing that actions taken will result in death and destruction is both a brave and selfish act depending on your point of view.

I'm just reflecting on the thoughts and mindset that individuals like Benazir Bhutto have to have in those situations and freely admit that I doubt I'd be able to make the choice she did.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I'm saving all my sleep for another life
United States
Wichita
Kansas
flag msg tools
Spoon!
badge
Well, once again we find that clowning and anarchy don't mix.
mbmbmbmbmb
If she can help stabilize the political situation in Pakistan and prevent certain elements from gaining additional influence, she may well prevent a substantial amount of violence in the future.

I'm pretty sure that is her hope, and it strikes me as quite brave to risk so much when no one would blame her staying out of it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren M
Canada
Fort Vermilion
AB
flag msg tools
badge
mb
I don't take it as an insult considering the source. By that I mean you have strongly held views towards democracy and what democracy "should" provide for its followers.

There's a difference between a couple of people going into a park at night in some random city that leads to possible random violence and a former exiled Prime Minister returning and parading through streets with thousands around her when she was told 4 separate groups were going to try to kill her. Logically... you have to assume at least one of those will make an attempt to do what they say they will and you then have to take precautions. They had her in a bulletproof bus but most of her guards and the public had no such protection.

I'm certainly not saying she personally is responsible for killing those people but she has to face the fact that she and her close advisers had to know an attack like this was not only possible but PROBABLE given the current feelings towards her and the extreme tension in Pakistan currently.

That's all I'm saying... and I'm not the only one pointing that out:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/opinion/main.jhtml?xml=/opinion/2...

http://afp.google.com/article/ALeqM5gz6qrzjXHaZdKL4Y80Xv1JQw...

Whether you think anyone should be allowed to do whatever they wish whenever they want in a democratic country regardless of the danger it puts the general population under is certainly your opinion (and valid) and I can't argue that. It's an opinion.

Prudence though logically dictates the boundaries and limitations which individuals must bend towards for the greater good of the democracy they are trying to build and achieve.

In the end this type of event was unavoidable and will likely continue and I just hope for the least amount of bloodshed possible on all sides which I'm sure you do as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"that's a smith and wesson, and you've had your six"
mbmbmbmbmb
This reminds me of the sign that you see driving down the freeways.

"Do you think Advertising works? Just did."

And we complain the world has too much spam, and that we are going to rid the world of it.

The billboard is this lady. Radical-extremism is the word.

Terrorism, the one military tactic superior might hasn't been able to defeat.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.