BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » GeekBay

Subject: IS this seller legit? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Dags Gromskis
Latvia
Riga
flag msg tools
Recently purchased a game, worried about the fact that she only accepts bank transfer. She has 7 reviews, from pretty highly rated accounts. Is she okay to purchase from? Thanks

https://boardgamegeek.com/user/saabb
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C&H Schmidt
Germany
Heidelberg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I mean, who knows, but presumably yes? She's a normal BGG user like the rest of us, a private person selling a game.

What do you expect to learn from posting this thread? That somehow a personal acquaintance of hers will show up and reply? (And how would you know to trust them more than her?)

Edit: If you're unhappy with the payment method, you could message her -- but how else would you expect payment to proceed between two private people?

Edit 2: Since you're new to the site, maybe a little more information: Many people who sell on the GeekMarket are private users just like you and me. As such, there is of course some risk buying from them.
Overall, I think the vast majority of people here is honest and things go well, but I don't think there's a guarantee there.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg S
United States
Middleton
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Isn't bank transfer pretty standard in many European countries? We don't do a lot of those transactions in the U.S., but I believe it's very common in Europe.

With her account age, positive marketplace and trade feedback, I would be very confident in buying from someone like that, personally.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yours Truly,
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
There must have been a moment at the beginning, where we could have said no. Somehow we missed it. Well, we'll know better next time.
mb
DagsRG wrote:
Recently purchased a game, worried about the fact that she only accepts bank transfer. She has 7 reviews, from pretty highly rated accounts. Is she okay to purchase from? Thanks

https://boardgamegeek.com/user/saabb

Looks pretty safe. The user registered as a BGG user 11 years ago, has 17 trades under their belt. Doesn't look like a "fly-by-night" operation. Seems to be an established user/buyer/trader although new to selling - might be why doesn't have a PayPal etc set up.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yours Truly,
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
There must have been a moment at the beginning, where we could have said no. Somehow we missed it. Well, we'll know better next time.
mb
Gswp wrote:
I mean, who knows, but presumably yes? She's a normal BGG user like the rest of us, a private person selling a game.

What do you expect to learn from posting this thread? That somehow a personal acquaintance of hers will show up and reply? (And how would you know to trust them more than her?)

If you noticed, the OP has a "New User" badge - they might not be aware of what kind of red flags to look out for. Seems a reasonable question to me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dags Gromskis
Latvia
Riga
flag msg tools
Thanks so much, I am pretty new, so I needed to know what to look out for
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J.D. Top
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mb
Qualm wrote:
Isn't bank transfer pretty standard in many European countries? We don't do a lot of those transactions in the U.S., but I believe it's very common in Europe.

With her account age, positive marketplace and trade feedback, I would be very confident in buying from someone like that, personally.

I don't speak for everyone but when I buy second-hand stuff from nearby it's almost always a bank transfer.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel
United Kingdom
Kent
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Qualm wrote:

Yeah, we do a fair amount of these in Europe. They take a little more time for the user to set up, but they have the advantage of not having fees.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls