Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Colin Lewis
United States
Riverton
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I brought the game in to work the other day and played a single bombing mission with a co-worker. He played the German defenses and I played the Allies. The single mission ended with me bombing Frankfurt and returning to England for a 13 point victory.

My co-worker seemed to enjoy the game, but thought that the Mosquito was too powerful, and that he could do nothing against it. I had used my 6 bomber tokens to take out several flak guns, a search light, and a radar to clear the way for my bombers. And he felt powerless to defend against the Mossie.

What do you think? Is the Mosquito too powerful with what it can do, since the Germans can do nothing against it (except the balloon which we didn't use)?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chuck Pierce
United States
Huntsville
Alabama
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
colinkun wrote:
What do you think? Is the Mosquito too powerful with what it can do, since the Germans can do nothing against it (except the balloon which we didn't use)?

First off, I'd recommend that you play the game a few times before reaching a conclusion on biases. I've found a few biases in the game, but don't think that a strong mossie is one of them. The Mossie is a good tool. It can cut an obvious path through the coastal defenses, but that'd put a huge target on the bomber and the night fighters would probably pounce in force. If 3 night fighters pounce on teh bomber then they can a medal, which can be used to repair a destroyed defense. The Mossie can also be used to fake out the Germans. If the Mossie bombs, it must stay at low altitude, which will give the night fighters an advantage in combat.

Conversely to the too-strong-Mossie perception, I think that the Germans are too slow. If they ever get behind the bomber, they'll never catch up, unless there's a tail wind. We've toyed with some house rules to give each of the 110's an ability to go two hexes(once per tank), which is basically giving the MW50 ability to all three 110's, instead of only one.

colinkun wrote:
(except the balloon which we didn't use)?

Hint: Don't ignore the benefit to the Brits to bomb and/or blockade an airfield for VP's and, conversely, to the Germans for using balloons and smoke to protect the airfields or other likely ground targets of the Mossie.

Though not a perfect simulation of WWII night bombing (nor was it intended to be), one of the great things about this game is that it has a ton of nobs that can be turned to change how the game unfolds. Screwing with each other's heads is one of the best parts of the game.

In my mind, the mark of a good game is when you get to the end of the game and talk over stratagies (what worked, what didn't), then immediately want to play a rematch. This game has that!

Chuck
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ɹǝsɐɹɟ
Australia
Melbourne
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Back in the days when there were less maps we played every map back to back
badge
Ooh a little higher, now a bit to the left, a little more, a little more, just a bit more. Oooh yes, that's the spot!
mbmbmbmbmb
Powerful, yes it is. Too powerful, no I don't think so.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Dewsbery
United Kingdom
Sutton Coldfield
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not even sure that I'd call it powerful. It's a tool - it can be used well, or it can be used badly.

As a method of gaining VPs for the British, it actually fares poorly in comparison to the German nightfighters. As a way to pound a route through the defences, it works - but at the risk of telegraphing where the bomber is going to go next. Its best use is probably to use it to mess with your opponent's head - fake with it, or scare the nightfighters away with it.

Sometimes the mossie will do a great job; sometimes it wil fail completely. It just depends on whether the German player sees through the mossie's moves. And that's where the poker-like metagame comes in, which is the very best bit of DitD.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Colin Lewis
United States
Riverton
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I should mention that we only played the basic game, so no medals or any of the other advanced rules. And I emphasized to this coworker that we should play again before he makes up his mind. Unfortunately, we only had time for one mission.

His other complaints (observations) were the weather and the slow moving nightfighters (both mentioned above). He was unlucky to get a thunderstorm and a fog marker on two key airports that he needed to land and take off from about 3 times each.

And getting behind the bomber without a tailwind is about the worst thing that can happen to the Germans. I'd like to try playing where the Germans always have the option to move two hexes, not just with a tailwind.

Fun game, I enjoy the "messing with your opponents' head" part of the game. I just hope this coworker hasn't made up his mind that the game is too unbalanced. Maybe I should have let him be the Allies. Hopefully, we'll play again soon.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chuck Pierce
United States
Huntsville
Alabama
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
colinkun wrote:
I should mention that we only played the basic game, so no medals or any of the other advanced rules. And I emphasized to this coworker that we should play again before he makes up his mind. Unfortunately, we only had time for one mission.

Yep, one play isn't enough to fully grasp the game. It's really deeper than it seems on how to deploy the defenses and Mossie.

Quote:
His other complaints (observations) were the weather and the slow moving nightfighters (both mentioned above). He was unlucky to get a thunderstorm and a fog marker on two key airports that he needed to land and take off from about 3 times each.

The weather is definitely the wildcard. In the base rules, you're totally locked in on the target and course to the target and back. So, the weather can definitely make or break the game. On the flip side, though, I think that the weather adds some realism to a game that is lacking realism in other areas. The British get to see the weather before planning the course, but then if the weather changes, the bomber force just has to deal with it. For the Germans, they should be at the mercy of the weather, since the British would want to take advantage of the weather and, therefore, use it as a tool against the defending Germans if possible. In the advanced rules, the weather changes once or twice. So, that adds a new twist, and an enjoyable one from my perspective.

Quote:
And getting behind the bomber without a tailwind is about the worst thing that can happen to the Germans. I'd like to try playing where the Germans always have the option to move two hexes, not just with a tailwind.

My biggest complaint with the game is that I feel that the night fighters are too slow. As you say, if the fighters ever get behind the bomber, they'll never really catch up until the bomber has bombed and turned around. In the advanced rules, one of the 110's can use the MW50 marker, which allows the fighter to surge 2 spaces (and paying the fuel costs for each hex) once per sortie (or tank of gas). This helps. We played last night with a house rule that all 3 fighters (ME110's) could use the MW50. This helped to even the score some, but the British still won, just not by a huge margin.

Quote:
Fun game, I enjoy the "messing with your opponents' head" part of the game. I just hope this coworker hasn't made up his mind that the game is too unbalanced. Maybe I should have let him be the Allies. Hopefully, we'll play again soon.

It's a great game. You guys need to play it several times, playing both sides, before you make up your minds that it's too unbalanced. I enjoy playing both sides equally. I consider it more of a challange to play the Germans, since they're at a bit of a disadvantage, but it's a challange that I welcome! :-)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.