Hide
9 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Conventions

Subject: Anyone Going to WashingCon 2019? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Sean
msg tools
I have been hearing a lot about WashingCon lately, and saw that there wasn't a general thread about this year's convention, which is happening this weekend, Sept. 7-8, in Georgetown: https://www.washingcon.com/.

I really only got into boardgames at the end of last year, and this would be my first convention. I'd also be attending solo. What should I expect? I don't feel like I know the rules to too many games, so will it be difficult to join in? What are the sorts of games people play and bring in the open gaming sessions?

And more generally, what have your experiences been with WashingCon? What are you most looking forward to?

Here are a couple of recent threads I've seen:

WashingCon2019 Virtual Market: https://boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/258682/washingcon-2019-vi...
WashingCon 2019: Boardgame Scheduling and Meetup List: https://boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/257654/washingcon-2019-bo...
Heavy Games at WashingCon Sept 7th & 8th: https://boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/260099/heavy-games-washin...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Turner
United States
Glen Allen
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll be there with my son and some friends. Its a great low key con where you can just hang out and play ganes. My son loved the Tiny Adventures so much last year rhat we're doing it again. If you're solo, just be outgoing enough to ealk up and ask people if they have room for another. Everyone was friendly and nice last year. It shouldn't be any different this year. Have fun.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Engelmann
United States
Rockville
Maryland
flag msg tools
Congress of Gamers conventions
badge
Eric's actual photo!
mbmbmbmbmb
The DMV is blessed with more than its fair share of conventions for boardgamers. I run four of them, myself! I've been to WashingCon three times, and had good times.

I'd characterize WashingCon as ideal for social gamers, open gamers, RPG gamers, and those who like panel discussions. There are vendors, freebies (play-to-win and door prizes), special events, a solid games library, and a great group of volunteers and game enablers. I found the crowd quite friendly and never had trouble joining a game.

Downsides are:
It's large, at over 1000 people. I've never had trouble finding a space to play, and people who are sensitive to crowds and noise may be able to find nooks in the hallways to play.

Transport is a bit of a hassle for suburban gamers, with parking a minimum of $25/day. City dwellers can use the metro and then shuttle to the con, or Uber.

It's pricier than GCOM and CoG conventions, at $65 vs $25, since WashingCon has much more expensive rent.

Hard-core board gamers, such as those who attend WBC, EuroQuest, and PrezCon, won't like this con quite as much.

========================================================
Here's the board gaming con schedule in the DMV:
https://www.meetup.com/DMV-Board-Game-Conventions/events/
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K Bell
United States
NOVA
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Food options are very limited. Be sure to bring your own lunch.

I’ve been twice, and had a good time. But it is very loud in the main room. In the past they’ve given out a free game when you check in. If they are doing that again, arrive early to have a better selection. I am unable to attend this time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nigel T
msg tools
We are going for the first time on Sunday. We're newer to the modern board game world, though I played a ton of strategy/wargames way back when. Hoping to try a few games we don't own yet, and just have some fun playing with other people.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Schuyler
msg tools
will be there, always interested in playing stuff. i like that you just got into board games but own over 200.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean
msg tools
JSchuyler wrote:
will be there, always interested in playing stuff. i like that you just got into board games but own over 200.

Yeah, I did the normal got-the-bug-and-went crazy thing. But in my defense, more than half are just expansions to games I really like, and I've slowed down severely my purchasing of new games. Now focused on trying them all out

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Engelmann
United States
Rockville
Maryland
flag msg tools
Congress of Gamers conventions
badge
Eric's actual photo!
mbmbmbmbmb
Just back from the Saturday gaming. Con was fine, but the transport was a real challenge. I drove onto the campus from the south and tried to drive through to free street parking just north of Reservoir Road. I ran into construction dead-ends for 20 minutes before I gave up, drove back south, and circled around the campus. I parked on 37th and R and tried to walk south. And tried, and tried, and tried. I spent at least 30 minutes of walking into pedestrian dead ends and endless stairs.

Left early tonight to find my way out before dark, and a student was kind enough to share the escape route north. Turns out it's not at all bad once you know the "secret" route. I'll produce and share an unauthorized parking and walking map for next year.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean
msg tools
Yeah, finding the conference center was difficult the first day, there could've been more signs. I parked in the Southwest Garage, which was thankfully free, but also got lost and ran into construction dead ins.

As for the convention itself, it was a generally great experience! Got to play a lot of games over the two days with different groups. Played Terraforming mars for the first time and really loved it. Also played Clans of Caledonia, and it felt like an accounting session to me. I don't think these pure open-info resource management/econ games are for me. While TM felt very tense the entire time (well, the second half did) because of the hidden information and variety of card effects.

Also was unimpressed with TIME Stories - just felt like an Arkham-style narrative, but with far less interesting mechanics, and worse writing and atmospherics. The group I played with was a lot of fun, though.

It was also fun getting to briefly meet and chat with Elizabeth Hargrave.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls