Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Grognard David
Belgium
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello

I just want to know if there is a reason why creators of this game didn't used colored cubes counters for representing the 4 colored ressourses in place of a card on the planet? you cannot see this card, she partially mask the planet...yuk I expected to have cube counters to represent if there is a ressourse or not on a planet.

D

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Szegedi
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just add them to your game if you like! (btw: what is your avatar supposed to be... a "Death Ball?" (or) a "Death Moon?" -lol

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Szegedi
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
(that looked like something from a StarWars spoof)-lol

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
H-B-G
United Kingdom
Halesowen
West Midlands
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I would expect it is for the same reason as in San Juan. It will speed the cycling of the deck, also there will be cards that pass through unseen, so when the deck goes through nobody can be sure which cards are in other players hands and which are still in the draw deck.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Teemu Salohalme
Finland
Imatra
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Why not put the resources under the card? Sure, a bit more difficult but at least you can see the art.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Slater
United Kingdom
Newport
Newport, South Wales
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Teemu Salohalme wrote:
Why not put the resources under the card? Sure, a bit more difficult but at least you can see the art.

What he said

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grognard David
Belgium
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
holywolfman wrote:
Just add them to your game if you like! (btw: what is your avatar supposed to be... a "Death Ball?" (or) a "Death Moon?" -lol

Yes it come from a star wars parady !
look here : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UdJDAPDltMM

for All SF fan !!!! lol

D

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J├Ârgen Olsson
Sweden
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
According to the demo guy we talked to at Essen, you cannot use abilities on cards that have a good on them, hence the obstruction of those abilities.

Haven't verified that with the rules book though, I didn't buy it (my friend did!).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Bos
Finland
Helsinki
Uusimaa
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have read the rules, but didn't see that one...

I'll have to read it again, but I highly doubt that you can't use the abilities (you need to use the consume power on a planet anyway, even if it has a good on it)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
H-B-G
United Kingdom
Halesowen
West Midlands
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Looking at the rules from RGGs site, I can't see anything about not being able to use the powers of cards with goods on them. They do say though, that you should place the goods on the world's lower right portion so that they don't hide the powers, which indicates that the powers are still usable.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Lehmann
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
You can use the powers of worlds with goods on them. Whoever told you otherwise was incorrect.

You must use cards as goods as the cycling of cards, with not all of them being seen by players, is important to game play.

The rules state that the good cards should be placed offset slightly to the right so that power icons can easily be seen; the graphic design placing the powers in a vertical row on the left was done with this in mind.

In practice, yes, some new players prefer to put the good cards underneath the worlds. Feel free to do this if this helps you.

Most experienced players do not do this as it is a bit fiddly and slows down the game (note the production reminders printed on the cards so that production powers can be easily seen when new goods are produced by someone dealing out the goods).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Parker
United States
Bethel
Vermont
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Tom Lehmann wrote:
You must use cards as goods as the cycling of cards, with not all of them being seen by players, is important to game play.

I'm content to play the rules as written. If others really wanted to use colored cubes then they could do that while also dealing the appropriate number of cards face down into the discard pile.

This changes the game dynamics a bit since those cards become available for reshuffling rather than being held in limbo. I have no idea if that change would affect game play so I am curious as to your opinion.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Lehmann
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
Since most goods eventually get sold or consumed, it's probably not a huge difference. Sometimes, it will matter as a vital 6 development that is not getting consumed or sold will, under this variant, get recycled.

Personally, I think that, instead of using cubes, simply placing the good cards underneath the worlds -- until you get used to their powers -- is a better idea.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Lehmann
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
And I should clarify one point (thanks Steve for bringing it up in email): produce powers -- such as drawing a card when a good is produced on a world (e.g. Gem World) -- only take effect when a good is actually produced on that world (which will not occur when a good is already on a world, since no world can ever have more than one good on it). This is probably the case that led to the rules confusion mentioned above.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Allan Clements
Norway
Oslo
flag msg tools
badge
Turns out Esseb did touch the flag. Don't tell him I said so though.
mbmbmbmbmb
I like that everything in the game uses cards. It makes the game very elegant. My one complaint is that I dont like the victory point markers as they are confusing without numbers on them.

The cards though are great, as is the game. I was very confused when I first played it, with so many uses for cards (resources, currency for buying stuff, aswell as what I was building) but the second game of it I knew exactly what everything was and I felt I made much better use of the role cards.

So I think I might replace the VP Chips with something else, the card uses I like and will keep, as cycling the deck is important. Many uses of cards makes the game fairly hard to explain to people but after the first game I think it becomes natural.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Dorrell
England
Darwen
Lancashire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: resources, why not counters?
Kamakaze wrote:
.....My one complaint is that I dont like the victory point markers as they are confusing without numbers on them......

The VP markers don't have numbers but each counter does have a series of lines which represent the value of the counter.

I think they are perfectly functional.

Great game by the way!
Chris

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.