United States
Evergreen
Colorado
flag msg tools
If you want to sing out...
badge
Music is the sound of human emotion
mbmbmbmbmb
Do you Like heavier games? Which mechanics do you like? Do you dislike family games? Do you think your game collection reflects those opinions?

Ever wonder what your game collection looks like from a statistical perspective?

I've developed a small web app that does that very thing. I call it the BGG Collection Stats tool and is part of my suite of Board Game Helpers:

https://www.boardgamehelpers.com/BGGCollectionStats.aspx

Just enter your BGG username and I'll parse your collection and give you some stats (with graphs!) on it. You can also put in other gamers and see what their collections look like. Maybe this can be a way to vet people before inviting them to game night!

Mouse over the graph headers to read a bit of information about each one.

Click the column names to sort by that column.

Enjoy!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arne Hoffmann
Germany
Essenbach
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for this!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Miller
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Neat!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kikaidurr
United States
Hawaii
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice, but some labels for y-axis would be nice.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C&H Schmidt
Germany
Heidelberg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just today I was thinking about how so much of my gaming enjoyment is about clever card mechanisms and the different ways cards can drive a a game. Now I have that on paper in multiple graphs!

Edit: I do think there's something weird going on with the game numbers -- does it count expansions just like a base game at least for some of the graphs?
Because I have on the order of 100 LCG expansions (just packs of cards), so if those count like a base game, of course cardgames are very dominant.
Otoh, for game types, Customisable has very few entries, which suggests expansions are not counted there.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Keane
United States
Medford
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmb
Very cool. Super easy to use and I’ve had to crunch these numbers for certain polls/threads before - so easy to have it do it for me.

What is the weight preference chart based on? Some formula incorporating personal rating? It would be very interesting to get similar charts for game type preference, year preference, and maybe best number of player preference. It would even be cooler if it could do this for all personally rated games in a user’s collection, not just owned games.

It seems odd in the year published chart to split this decade but not the others. Same with combining 1 and 2 players into 1-2.

In the number of players chart, the 7+ value appears to be counting the same games multiple times is they allow 7, 8, and so on, players rather than counting just once. I’d suggest extending the x Axis to show separate bars for 7,8,9,10, and then 11+.

It would be cool if game type chart could sort from highest to lowest, like the top 10 mechanisms/categories charts.

I would suggest excluding expansions, or displaying them separately.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Keane
United States
Medford
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmb
The View Collection List and being able to sort by Best Players!?! Amazingly useful, since this stat is one BGG has still failed to incorporate into Collection View/Filter or Advanced Search.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ulet N
Indonesia
City of Heroes
flag msg tools
Angry dragon! In ssspaaace!!!
badge
I think dragons are the quintessential element of fantasy in the same way outer space is for sci-fi.
mbmbmbmbmb
Great app!

Now I wish I can see the stats of all games I rated and commented on, as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Quy Van
Canada
Waterloo
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This is really awesome, thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Venters
United States
Evergreen
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ryan Keane wrote:
The View Collection List and being able to sort by Best Players!?! Amazingly useful, since this stat is one BGG has still failed to incorporate into Collection View/Filter or Advanced Search.

If you like the sorting by Best Players, then you need to check out my other app on the same site: The What Should We Play? Tool

It aggregates multiple BGG users' collections and provides recommendations based on a composite rating and best number of players. Here's my thread on it:

https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/2135947/what-should-we-play...

Gswp wrote:
I do think there's something weird going on with the game numbers -- does it count expansions just like a base game at least for some of the graphs?
Because I have on the order of 100 LCG expansions (just packs of cards), so if those count like a base game, of course cardgames are very dominant.
Otoh, for game types, Customisable has very few entries, which suggests expansions are not counted there.

By and large, Expansions are included in any of the counts. I can see where Collectible Card games will have lots of expansions, but I mainly build this with the typical board game in mind where the base game is most of it and the expansion are just a couple of added components.

I'll have to think about how to deal with types of games where the base game is only a small part of the entire "system".

Thanks for reminding me typical table-top games aren't all that are on BGG

Travalgar wrote:
Now I wish I can see the stats of all games I rated and commented on, as well.

Thanks.

This is possible through the BGG API which is all I'm using to pull the data from BGG's DBs. I'll consider adding that concept in as well (when I get another free few minutes).

Chigatterun wrote:
Nice, but some labels for y-axis would be nice.

Thanks for the feed back. I'll see if I can get them in without it looking overwhelming.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Venters
United States
Evergreen
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ryan Keane wrote:
What is the weight preference chart based on? Some formula incorporating personal rating? It would be very interesting to get similar charts for game type preference, year preference, and maybe best number of player preference. It would even be cooler if it could do this for all personally rated games in a user’s collection, not just owned games.

Weigh Preference is simply the summation of User Ratings (* 100) by weight. I excluded expansions in this assuming that the weight of the expansion would be roughly that of the base game and adding it would ostensibly double that weight's weight. I intended that graph to indicate what you like to play, not what you like to buy.

Ryan Keane wrote:
It seems odd in the year published chart to split this decade but not the others. Same with combining 1 and 2 players into 1-2.
The columns (x-axis) are my best try to keep them to a reasonable number. I found that the 1/2 width graphs could only stand about 10 columns, so I just tried to group the values as best I could. I agree that splitting 1 and 2 player games might be a good idea.

The main reason for the decades I choose is from my collection. I've been gaming for a long time and have a wide range of games spanning a lot of decades. Thus, I grouped by decades. That said, the explosion of games since 2010 made me split out the '10 decade into two parts. I would have preferred more, but, again, I didn't want the columns to get overwhelming.

Ryan Keane wrote:

In the number of players chart, the 7+ value appears to be counting the same games multiple times is they allow 7, 8, and so on, players rather than counting just once. I’d suggest extending the x Axis to show separate bars for 7,8,9,10, and then 11+.
This correct. A game that supports 2 to 5 players, will add a pip to each of the 2, 3, 4 and 5 player columns. Perhaps 7+ is too low of a max threshold, but I struggled thinking of a lot many 7+ player games. This graph is intended to indicate the number of players your collection can support.

Ryan Keane wrote:

It would be cool if game type chart could sort from highest to lowest, like the top 10 mechanisms/categories charts.
Yea, that probably makes more since. They are just sorted alphabetically, I believe.

Ryan Keane wrote:

I would suggest excluding expansions, or displaying them separately.
Agreed. Expansions are largely excluded from most of the calculations because they would simply double (or more) most of the values. Again, they are intended to indicate what your playing
preferences are, not in purchasing power.

Thanks for the feedback!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Keane
United States
Medford
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmb
Great, thanks for the responses.

I personally would like the longer x axes full screen width charts. The current 2 full width ones, the top 10 charts, imo are the least interesting of them all.

I’ve also been gaming for a while. My collection peaks at the 00’s, and then falls sharply down from 10-14 to 15+. I have bought very few games that cane out recently. But if the chart had my 00’s split up, I’d peak at 10-14.

So by user rating you really mean average rating, not my rating. The problem with the weight preference chart then is that user rating isn’t always a good match to personal rating, so it’s just showing what the BGG community cumulatively rates the games I own in each weight category. And being a summation, its confounded by how many games I own in each category. I own the most games in “Light” but that’s actually the lowest in my Weight Preference. It would be even lower if I didn’t own so many Light.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Leber
Canada
Orillia
ON
flag msg tools
Yin
badge
Yang
mbmbmbmbmb
Geez, I have a small collection, but the estimated replacement cost of $3,000 still surprised me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean May
South Korea
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Very neat. The dark red writing on a black background is very hard to read, though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Thompson
Australia
Melbourne
VIC
flag msg tools
I lose all the games... It's fun but!
badge
... as in addicted to going fast... not the powder stuff... "ADICT" was the licence plate on my bike...
mbmbmbmbmb
Is there any way to make it so we can click on the red bars and have a screen pop out / open that tells us what the x number of games are that make up that particular bar?

I'm being intentionally generic...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jos horst
Netherlands
groningen
groningen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks, useful stuff.

Some questions:

What's your definition of, say, a medium heavy game? Is this a well defined category within BGG? Would be helpful to mention this.

What data do you use? I have a grand total of 6 ratings. I have less recorded plays. My favourite game is supposed to be Tichu, wich I haven't rated, nor logged.

The User Rating graph suggests I've rated a few hundred games. I haven't.

ETA: 2nd time around my favorite game has changed to Carcassonne, and number of ratings to about 40
Update2: favorite game is Capo della Maffia, user rating graph makes sense now

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Catistan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There's something wrong with user rating. It show 80 games rated 9. I have 13 games with that rating.

Number of players graph can't be right. I don't have 200 games that take 8+ people.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Keane
United States
Medford
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmb
fambans wrote:
There's something wrong with user rating. It show 80 games rated 9. I have 13 games with that rating.

Number of players graph can't be right. I don't have 200 games that take 8+ people.

The user rating I believe is the average BGG rating for that game. Not your personal user rating.

The 8+ bar is repeating games. Eg if a game plays 2-10, it’s adding 3 to the 8+ bar.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jos horst
Netherlands
groningen
groningen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ryan Keane wrote:
fambans wrote:

The user rating I believe is the average BGG rating for that game. Not your personal user rating.
In that case you'd expect the y-scale for user rating and geek rating to be of the same order of magnitude. It's not - for my collection anyway.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Carson
United States
Apex
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I need to keep the 'replacement cost' info for my insurance agent. But NEVER show it to my wife....

How are favorite and popular defined? Number of plays, and people who own?

Very cool tool!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Venters
United States
Evergreen
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ryan Keane wrote:
fambans wrote:

Good catch. This was indeed the average use rating and not the personal rating. This was not my intent and I've fixed it to only use your personal ratings.

Ryan Keane wrote:
fambans wrote:

The 8+ bar is repeating games. Eg if a game plays 2-10, it’s adding 3 to the 8+ bar.

This seems to be confusing people, so I have changed it so any game with 8+ will only count once in the bar, not for each value over 8.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Venters
United States
Evergreen
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ryan Keane wrote:
What is the weight preference chart based on? Some formula incorporating personal rating?
The weighs come directly from the BGG composite weight value. For example, Food Chain Magnate's is 4.19. Because a weight can only be assigned 1-5, all composite weights average out to be between 1.0 and 5.0 which, counter-intuitively, is only a range of 4.0. Further, BGG's Poll assigns the categories to single numbers: 1=Light, 2=Med-Light... 5=Heavy. This implies a game must have a 5.0 composite rating to be considered "Heavy" and that is nearly impossible to have.

Therefore, to get my 5 weight categories (Light to Heavy) I evenly distributing the possible weight ranges between 1.0 and 5.0. Each weight category has a range of values equal to 4.0/5.0 which is 0.8. (Light = 1.0 to 1.8 and Heavy = 4.2 to 5.0)

The current user's given weight rating is not taken into account except for that it is already in the BGG composite weight rating.

Frankly, in my experience, a lot of players have wildly different ideas of what a particular game's weight is. This is mainly why I put this graph here. The assumption is the BGG community votes will average to an appropriate weight rating for a game.

Personally, I'd say prefer heavy games, but my collection shows I own (purchase) far more light and med-light games. However, if I take my personal ratings into account, you can see I actually rate med-heavy and heavier games higher.

Ryan Keane wrote:
It would be very interesting to get similar charts for game type preference, year preference, and maybe best number of player preference. It would even be cooler if it could do this for all personally rated games in a user’s collection, not just owned games.

I totally agree, and all of that is possible via the API data. I'll consider spending some time on this. I just build the Board Game Helpers for the fun of it (really just my personal use ), so when life says, "hey, you need to spend some time over here." it takes me away from the fun things.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Rogers
United States
Yakima
WA
flag msg tools
badge
Receive with simplicity everything that happens to you.
mb
Cool. Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Thunkd
United States
Northampton
MA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Why does no one ever label axis? So what's the left side of the weight chart represent? For the life of me I have no idea what you're charting weight against.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
No One
United States
Burien
Washington
flag msg tools
mb
Thunkd wrote:
Why does no one ever label axis? So what's the left side of the weight chart represent? For the life of me I have no idea what you're charting weight against.

Obviously, if the game were a tootsie roll pop, it's how many licks to get to the center.

~V
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4  Next »   |