Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Matagot Contact
France
flag msg tools
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi everyone,

We have been working on a new and improved 1.5 version of Kemet. It has been drafted in French first and we started with the base game rules.

We have been working on these rules for a few months and hope you will enjoy Kemet V1.5. We took note of as many comments and FAQ posted by fans as we could. Since they are on various forums we for sure have missed several. While those new rules require no change to your Kemet components to be played, there are quite a few changes.

We'd like to ask Kemet players to take a look at the new rulebook, and tell us about any mistakes. We'd like also ask for you to share ideas with us.

You can see the rulebook here: http://bit.ly/Kemet-Rulebook-V1-5

We will be collecting everyone's feedback HERE until September 16th.

We'll then work on Powers as well as Divine Intervention cards for the base game. Next step is Ta-Seti, and finally Seth. We currently plan to have everything done in French, then we'll work on the English translation.

Let's work together to make this the best version of Kemet ever!
Have fun playing!

Best regards, Antoine
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matheus Affonso
Brazil
Porto Alegre
RS
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That's great to see! Will you guy put up an English version as well?

Edit: reading skills: failed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dmitry Nazarov
Russia
Moscow
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mdaffonso wrote:
That's great to see! Will you guy put up an English version as well?

From OP:
"We currently plan to have everything done in French, then we'll work on the English translation."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matheus Affonso
Brazil
Porto Alegre
RS
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh wow. I skipped the lines mentioning Ta-Seti. My mistake.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris G
Canada
Kitchener
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Looking forward to seeing the English version.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Francisco Arena
Brazil
Mogi das Cruzes
São Paulo
flag msg tools
TOASTY !!!
badge
FLAWLESS VICTORY
mbmbmbmbmb
One thing I've been missing since the previous rulebook is instead of just mentioning "53 victory points", to describe how much of each type of victory point tokens there is.

Adding component pictures besides its descriptions would also be of great help!

First time I had the following feeling:

"53 Victory Points? which ones are Victory points"
(browse the rules)
"I suppose VP are those square tokens? Or these round ones?"
"Oh, both are VP. But... among those 53 how much of each shape/color are suposed to be?"
(checking, checking)
(back to page 1)
"Battle cards... Divine cards?... Which ones are supposed to be this..? And that..?"
(browsing through the rulebook)

After first play, everything come clear, but I assume it would be much easier to follow with pictures of each thing, because Kemet is a game with a lot of components.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arnaud MATAGOT
France
Bordeaux
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Francisco Arena wrote:
One thing I've been missing since the previous rulebook is instead of just mentioning "53 victory points", to describe how much of each type of victory point tokens there is.

Adding component pictures besides its descriptions would also be of great help!

First time I had the following feeling:

"53 Victory Points? which ones are Victory points"
(browse the rules)
"I suppose VP are those square tokens? Or these round ones?"
"Oh, both are VP. But... among those 53 how much of each shape/color are suposed to be?"
(checking, checking)
(back to page 1)
"Battle cards... Divine cards?... Which ones are supposed to be this..? And that..?"
(browsing through the rulebook)

After first play, everything come clear, but I assume it would be much easier to follow with pictures of each thing, because Kemet is a game with a lot of components.
Hello,

At lot of things were indeed missing and hopefully none was missed in the draft 1.5 version. Alogn with some important changes and clarifications.

Thank you,
Arnaud.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dom B.
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Here are a few suggested edits:
p1 : "Contrôler des temples" : semble écrit dans une taille de police plus grande
p1 : "Sanctuaire de tous les dieux" : est écrit sans D majuscule sauf à un endroit
p1 : "ou dans le cas de votre citée" => cité
p1 : "Le but du jeu est de remporter le plus de points de victoire" => Points de Victoire
p2 : "celles de niveau 0 restent dans la réserve du joueur jusqu'à ce qu'elle évolue" => celle de niveau 0 reste
p3 : "dégât" => dégat (occurences multiples)
p4 : "3 PHASE DE JEU" => PHASES
p4 : "Description des differentes actions" => différentes
p4 : "si il est présent" => s'il est
p5 : "3.1.4 RECRUTER" : le 4 est peu lisible, confondu avec le 1
p6 : "La deuxième carte est jouée lors du combat" => seconde
p6 : "rajouter une ou plusieurs carte ID" => cartes
p6 : "carte combat" => carte Combat (2 occurences)
p7 : "minorée de leur valeur totale de leur propre Protection" => la valeur
p8 : "correspondants aux temples qu’ils contrôlent" => correspondant
p8 : "S’il le fait, il obtient 5PP" : utiliser le symbole ânkh plutôt que cette abréviation ?
p8 : "Si il a le plus de PV" => S'il a
p8 : "met un PV permanent du temple de tous les dieux" => sanctuaire, non ?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oliver Dienz
United States
Shelburne
Vermont
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It quickly became obvious in my first game that it was wrong but when I read the rules I just took all battle cards, shuffled them, and gave each player 6.

In the listing which components a player receives it would be good to put behind "6 cartes Combat" also "in their color". (or similar)

In the combat card overview it could be pointed out that the marks at the side indicate the player color. (Also not all that obvious on first sight.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alejandro Magno
Argentina
flag msg tools
I wish it was in english so english speakers could comment on all the rule changes that are clearly happening here, I don't know which missed, but it seems now recovering units after battle has been nerfed and it gives you less ankhs than before as it's X-1.

I suppose it's to increase the value of protecting your units, and thus increase the value of shields. Not sure

In any case as a fan of Kemet I'm very happy matagot finally decided to make official some needed rule changes, this is somethinga lot of companies don't do and to me is really supporting your game more than releasing extra content.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris G
Canada
Kitchener
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Will the new rules incorporate the Ta-seti expansion info to make it one complete rule set?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alejandro Magno
Argentina
flag msg tools
Rule changes I noticed:
-Now you start with 2 Di cards before choosing pyramid level
-Now there is a limit of 1 teleportation per movement
-New victory condition is now a slight change from ta seti. 9 points, not sure how else is different.
-New starting player order
-Now returning units for Ankh, gives X-1 Ankh.

Anything else I'm missing?

I love all the changes, except i'm not sure about the x-1 Ankh. I guess the idea is to increase incentive to stay after battle. To avoid the effect many people dislike of empty maps. Not sure how it would play out.

I wish there was some change to increase value of Blood, Since it's such overcosted yet weak effect.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shoosh shoo
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I believe it was mentioned in another thread that the rules were going to be redone in french then translated to english. I imagine this is because its easier to focus on the revisions in the original language and once thats ironed out then the translation can be done for further proof reading. It would be a gong show to try and do it at once i think.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ShepparCon was a Blast!
Australia
KILLARA
VIC
flag msg tools
badge
Thank You to all those that attended BorderCon this year and made it special again!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Is the intention that a new version of the game will be released or is this just product support to create a new and improved rulebook?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edu Avalon
Guatemala
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Waterd wrote:
Rule changes I noticed:
-Now you start with 2 Di cards before choosing pyramid level
-Now there is a limit of 1 teleportation per movement
-New victory condition is now a slight change from ta seti. 9 points, not sure how else is different.
-New starting player order
-Now returning units for Ankh, gives X-1 Ankh.

Anything else I'm missing?

I love all the changes, except i'm not sure about the x-1 Ankh. I guess the idea is to increase incentive to stay after battle. To avoid the effect many people dislike of empty maps. Not sure how it would play out.

I wish there was some change to increase value of Blood, Since it's such overcosted yet weak effect.

I'm not fully familiarized with the Ta-seti rules (I do not own it), even if in my most recent games I've used the Ta-seti end game conditions. In addition to what Alejandro has highlighted, I think there are a few other changes (at least from the base game):

- Now turn starts with day phase, then night and then dawn (in which you define the winner and turn order). This imply that any additional VP obtained in night phase (e.g. by upgrading a Pyramid to level 4) is now counted for turn order. This is why the setup has changed: You start with 7 PP and 2 ID cards (in the original game you start with 5 PP and 1 ID card, and then received 1 extra of each during night phase).

- Last player in VP will not anymore decide the whole turn order. He just choose first in which position he will play next turn. Then second player with less VP and so on. Actually, we play like that as a home rule.

- There's no anymore a short game with 8 VP and a long game with 10 VP. There's just one at 9 VP. End game has slightly simplified from the Ta-Seti version:
a) If one player starts his day phase with 9 VP, the game will finish at the dawn phase this turn (there's no inmediate victory as in Ta-seti). A token is placed under his turn order token to remember that he has trigered the end game.
b) At the dawn phase this turn, the player with most VP wins the game. If there is a tie, the one who trigered the end game wins. If this player is not among the top VP owners, victory will go for the one with most VP obtained in battle and then the player who played first in last day phase.

- Now it there is a combat inside a city, the original owner of the city will win ties (no matter if he is the attacker or the defender)

- Not sure how does this work in the original game, but now the wall inside buildings stop movement (like walls from outside) to the one who do not owns the city.
- Not sure how it works in the original version, but now during the movement phase you could temporarly exceed the limit of units per area (for example, you could in one moment have two creatures or more than 5 (or 7) warriors), as far as at the end of the movement phase limits are respected.

In any case it would be good to have an official summary of the what has been changed (and a friendly print version of the rules).

Thanks a lot to Matagot team for this update of the rules.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edu Avalon
Guatemala
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I cannot find it in the rules, but perhaps it will be good to explicit somewhere that if there are discrepancies between the general rules and the powers from tiles and ID cards, these ones will preceed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alejandro Magno
Argentina
flag msg tools
The inside wall thing is indeed a rule change and a significant one. That means you can only do the "wipe out all pyramids" in a single move impossible unless you have phoenix or the cross wall upgrades/di card.
I like that change, this will make phoenix as powerfull as the other level 4 monsters.

I also like allow players to recover that city in an easier way.

My only concern is that with the new turn order and making cities harder to attack, game will be longer than usual.

With that said I'm ok with that.

All this movement nerfs actually also nerf initiative, which derived much of its power to become literally unstoppable by small armies and allowing big turns. And that's a good thing. I wish though the add the blue promo tile as a base tile in the game to deal with initative.
or better yet part of a miniexpansions that bring new tiles to the game. I've waiting for such miniexpansion for years.

However if there is such miniexpansion I also hope for some rule to deal with multiple expansions, i have my own house rules but when you add promo tiles + an exp like 3ck, you end with too many tiles and you lose the tightness of the base game.
This also applies to lower count games, where there are too many tiles for too few players. I think The game shines at 5 players, and one of the reasons is that the game is more interesting when tiles are scarce, as you lower the count you lose this and the game starts to lose part of it's appeal.
For that reason now when i play with black pyramids, I randomly remove a color from the game, you would be surprised how well the black pyramid replaces whichever color you end removing.

Since i'm on extraneous suggestions and nitpicking, I will say I've been playing my last games with a variant where killing units gives you ankh, like every player having a halved crusade, and been extremely happy with the result.
However is a too big rule changed to implement if you haven't tried it in the past few months. But maybe you can add it as an official variant, kinda of like what fantasy flight does with it's games.

The reason for that variant is that in my experience blood is rarely used and when it is, since shields are used so much (mostly to prevent incidental damage from cards like 4 combat and 1 blood, or spite 3 blood cards from a losing battle). Players have little to no incentive to damage the other players in 4 or 5 player games. The focus is in protecting what you have barring extreme scenarios (Like going for 5-6 blood to destroy all opposing army and thus holding the temple, having crusade or an endgame scenario).
All this have 2 consequences, a lot of cards that give blood are pretty weak for it's cost (Be di cards or tiles), and in consequence cards that give shield are weak.
The second consequence is that a lot of battles are less exciting than what it could be since the defensive player have very little incentive to go for blood.

In addition to all that, with this variant where killing gives ankhs, now holding temples becomes more core of gameplay because when they eventually come to get you, you will recover some of the costs through generating damage.
It also accelerate the game, in a good way, and this is even more important with all the rule changes that will inevitably slow down the game, countering a little the less ankhs people will have with the new recall rule, but directing that ankh in a good way (rewarding people willing to fight)
Another bonus is that it gives more tools for people to comeback.

All in all in my group experience with this variant, the amount of improvements to the experience is vast and I think a lot of things fit more the original intent of the design. I think it makes kemet play more as it was intended. (blood and shields being more balanced, people more willing to fight for temples, etc)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve McDuff
msg tools
mbmbmb
Page 1 :

Dans la liste des points de victoire, indiquer quels points sont pris par le pouvoir victoire défensive

Une Toile Pouvoir "Victoire" (maximum)
Le mot maximum n'est pas clair, il faudrait indiquer : maximum 1 par joueur.

Page 4:

3.2 :Combat (potentiellement lors de la phase de jour)
Est-il possible de déclancher un combat lors de la phase nuit si le quartier d'un joueur possèdant le pouvoir Renforcements (bleu 4) est occupé par une troupe adverse ?
Si oui, alors il faudrait dire que c'est possible en tout temps. Si non, il faudrait le clarifier.

De façon similaire, est-il possible de déclancher un combat avec la carte d'intervention divine "enlistment" dans un quartier occupé par un adversaire ?

3.1 : Jouer un jeton applique son effet IMMEDIATEMENT :
Dans quel ordre doivent être appliqué les jetons "Actions Divine" et "Volonté Divine" et leurs action correspondante ? Sont-ils joué avant le jeton normal ? ou après ? est-ce que leurs effets sont aussi immédiat, ou faut-il placer tous les jetons avant d'activer les actions dans l'ordre ? Il serait pratique d'avoir un exemple d'exécution d'un tour ou ces deux jetons spéciaux sont activés.

Page 6 :
Murailles : Est-ce que les murailles fonctionnent aussi pour un joueur qui occupe un quartier adverse ?

PV temporarire de Pyramide niveau 4 : Si une pyramide niveau 4 n'est pas occupé par une troupe, il faudrait indiquer que le PV reviens au joueur qui possède la cité.

Page 7 :
Dans l'example de combat, Guillaume devrait récupérer 3 points de prière au lieu de 4 : 4 troupe - 1.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ronaldo Fatecha
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
First, congratulations to Matagot for this initiative. Not every publisher would offer this level of support for a game that has been out in the market for years.

Second: My french is between terrible and non-existent, still, just by looking at the new manual you can see improvements. and from the posts above, the rules appear to have changed in positive ways.

Third: Any chance we will have an opportunity to offer input after the english version is ready but before it´s finalized? This way people that don´t read french can collaborate as well.

Forth: Any chance that Cyclades will gain a similar treatment ?

Edited for grammar
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arnaud MATAGOT
France
Bordeaux
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Legonian wrote:
First, congratulations to Matagot for this initiative. Not every publisher would offer this level of support for a game that has been out in the market for years.

Second: My french is between terrible and non-existent, still, just by looking at the new manual you can see improvements. and from the posts bellow, the rules appear to have changed in positive ways.

Third: Any chance we will have an opportunity to offer input after the english version is ready but before it´s finalized? This way people that don´t ready french can collaborate as well.

Well thank you!

We're actually getting more and more excited as we work on this V1.5, it feels more and more like we need to get some help in translating this in English. We don't have the resources internally but we're askign some friends.

Have fun playing,
Arnaud.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Salman Qaisar
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
arnaud4matagot wrote:
Legonian wrote:

Second: My french is between terrible and non-existent, still, just by looking at the new manual you can see improvements. and from the posts bellow, the rules appear to have changed in positive ways.

Third: Any chance we will have an opportunity to offer input after the english version is ready but before it´s finalized? This way people that don´t ready french can collaborate as well.

Well thank you!

We're actually getting more and more excited as we work on this V1.5, it feels more and more like we need to get some help in translating this in English. We don't have the resources internally but we're askign some friends.

Have fun playing,
Arnaud.
Canadian Kemet fans might be the best option, many can speak fluent French and English
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shak S
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Neil Thomson wrote:
Is the intention that a new version of the game will be released or is this just product support to create a new and improved rulebook?

I'd like to know this too. Also any component changes?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ronaldo Fatecha
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wait, in french the Pyramids are referred as Diamond, Ruby and Sapphire?

Why isn´t that in every version (english and brazilian versions just use white, red and blue)? The idea of gem-encrusted pyramids (or better yet, a solid blood-red ruby pyramid) just made the game even cooler for me!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pat Son
msg tools
Not a bad idea. Especially since this would lead to "diamond power(tiles)" instead of "white power (tiles)".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edu Avalon
Guatemala
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Legonian wrote:
Wait, in french the Pyramids are referred as Diamond, Ruby and Sapphire?

Why isn´t that in every version (english and brazilian versions just use white, red and blue)? The idea of gem-encrusted pyramids (or better yet, a solid blood-red ruby pyramid) just made the game even cooler for me!

The original french rules called them blue, white and red too (appealing colors for french people laugh )

So these cool names for the pyramids are an innovation from this new version...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   |