Popular Tags: [View All]
Michael Van Biesbrouck
Canada
St Catharines
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The game only comes with seven palaces per player, but conceivably one could have enough money to build two or more palaces in a turn after the first six are built. (This happened to me in my first game, but I was well ahead of the other players.) It seems like a reasonable way to get ahead of another player who going to build a seventh palace. If other players will fill the scoring city before you, saving the money to break a seven-palace tie will not work (given enough opposing players).

Arguments against:

I assume that the shorter game in 11.1 ends when a sixth palace is built, but it is phrased `players only receive 6 palaces'.

Running out of houses in supply prevents you from building more. (But is the quarry limited to 10 houses per player?)

Arguments in favour:

Building multiple palaces in a turn is hard and sometimes necessary to catch up to the leader. Such moves should be encouraged and leading players should be forced to take precautions against multiple builds at all times.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luca Iennaco
Italy
flag msg tools
badge
mbmb
Re:Building more than seven palaces?
mlvanbie (#42305),

I consider Palaces a "limited resource": you've only 7. If you built 6 of them and kept enough money to build another couple, you've played badly.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Van Biesbrouck
Canada
St Catharines
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Luke the Flaming (#42339),

Playing badly isn't necessarily true. If you have 23 gold and don't have the architect or trader (and the Yogi isn't in the game), then you can't build a seventh palace on the turn with the sixth one unless someone goes through one of your towns. Building a palace and getting 13 gold can be done in a number of ways. Also, on one turn you can earn 13+5 gold for a monopoly.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luca Iennaco
Italy
flag msg tools
badge
mbmb
mlvanbie (#42380),

in a 5-player game you get the +5?!? In that case your opponents are so bad that you'll win in any case.

However, I understand that you're considering things that rules "could let happen" more than real situations of play.
It's a sort of mental exercise, isn't it?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Van Biesbrouck
Canada
St Catharines
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Luke the Flaming (#42401),

Partly a mental exercise, but it is based on a real situation. As for the amount of money, that was just an extreme case. Getting 13 from any set of sources is sufficient for the purposes of the example, although certain character card situations (especially with multiple cards) can decrease the number to as low as 3 (enjoy the puzzle). And that's assuming no Yogi -- the Yogi makes it a lot easier to build two (or even three) palaces in a turn.

In a three-player game I was just short of building two palaces for several turns. I had last move and changed the scoring location for the next turn to a previously unvisited (by anyone) location and built a palace there in the center. On the next turn nobody could do anything there without giving me a lot of money. They decided to build palaces and prepare for the following visit. I got enough money to build two palaces on following turn, putting me at eighteen. If anyone had removed the monopoly bonus by visiting the city, I would still have gotten 14 income and been in the same situation. Admittedly, that was a first game for everyone. In my second game I saw a player fighting for third of four get a double palace build on the last turn.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ulrich Blennemann
Germany
D-48249 Duelmen
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
You can only build 7 palaces and 20 houses max - the components are the limit (besides, the game ends when the first player has built 7 paalces.

Uli
Phalanx

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Terry Bailey Sr.
United States
Jonesborough
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ulible (#43736),
The game ends when the first person has built 7 palaces?
Then I played wrong today. I understood that when the 7th palace was built the round you are in is then completed. I built my 7th palace today and we finished the round. Ivy then built two palaces on her turn and ended up with more gold than me and "won". But if the game ends when someone builds his 7th palace then I won.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Van Biesbrouck
Canada
St Catharines
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Skyjack (#44600),

The English Rio Grande rules explicitly state that scoring will occur on the last turn.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Rowan
United States
Redmond
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Skyjack wrote:
ulible (#43736),
The game ends when the first person has built 7 palaces?
Then I played wrong today. I understood that when the 7th palace was built the round you are in is then completed. I built my 7th palace today and we finished the round. Ivy then built two palaces on her turn and ended up with more gold than me and "won". But if the game ends when someone builds his 7th palace then I won.

No, you played correctly. You play a complete round, and once the round is finished any player with 7 palaces is eligible to win, with the winning player being the one with the most gold left over.

The game is limited to 7 palaces - any extra gold you would use to build an extra palace is a tie-breaker, so if you have enough gold to build two palaces on the final round, you'll probably win anyway (unless you were counting on building a cheap palace with the 6 role card).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.