Jessica Broadway
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
I'm looking to buy back a game from my childhood, but I can't remember very much about it. My sister and I found the game way too challenging at ages 9 and 10, so we rarely played it. All I can remember is..

The game was scientific/astronomy in nature
Had to be made in the mid to late 80s
characters were four scientists/astronomers
(we called them "the old dudes" because we were too young to pronounce their names. Their names were probably something like Copernicus, maybe Dimitrius.. )
there were four "journal" trivia books with what seemed to be impossible questions. I'm sure the questions would be much easier now.

I vaguely remember a board for this game that might have had constellations, and I can't recall what the player markers would have been.

I know the details are very little, but does anyone remember this game at all? If you do, please PLEASE help me with the name.

Thanks very much! =^_^=
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Get up, get up, get up, get down, fall over.
United Kingdom
Bolton
Lancashire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ub3rboardgamer2000 wrote:
i completly agree on the said subject. the board is of horrible quality. i need a wooden hardback board, not a flimsy cardboard piece of crap! the wizard of mount jubulia is WAY overpowered! i mean when he casts his seven storms of the sea spell i can NEVER counter with my lvl134 pixie warrior! his level and skill can never match the GREAT WIZARD!!! i have to use all of my magic potions that grant me the power of the great power of the exlied dragon rider! this game stinks!

Sorry about that - this is not representative of the quality of discussion on the site as a whole. You have given a lot of good information - lets see if anyone recognises the game from your description.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Etherton
Scotland
Edinburgh
Midlothian
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Was it any of these?

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/search.php3?title=&designerid=&...

(Advanced Search, with Trivia and Space Exploration selected)

-Dave

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jessica Broadway
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
Thanks, Dave, I looked on the list you linked to, but none of those were it. It seemed like a very grown-up game at the time, and since it was so hard, I'm sure it was meant for at least 12+. I distinctly remember those four books though. Each book had a picture of a distinguished, wizened looking man who might or might not have been a real, historical figure. It most likely had a really complicated and interesting name, because otherwise I believe I'd remember what the thing was called.

Thanks to everyone who takes the time to help me out!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Weintraub
United States
Commack
New York
flag msg tools
badge
Lock him up!
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm stumped, and it looks like no one else here has it either. Which is surprising. Usually "what was this game?" queries are answered in about 20 minutes.

But I thumbed your post to up its visibility (and tipped you for politeness, always the best way to introduce oneself to a community).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jessica Broadway
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
Thanks very much! I'm hoping someone will help me figure this out soon. I called my mom today, and she remembered us having the game, but agreed that it was too difficult for our age group. That's why we rarely played it. She said that she believed the board to be a navy color, with a round shape spanning it, and had stellar looking shapes inside the circle. She may be wrong about that, seeing as how she usually was cooking or cleaning instead of playing games with us kids. I really hope she's not remembering the Trivial Pursuit board instead! laugh

blush and sorry for not formally inroducing myself as a newbie to this great place. whoops! I'm just really intent on finding out what this game was.. it's becoming an unhealthy obsession! Thanks again for thumbing me! =^_^=

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jessica Broadway
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
I just called my sister to see if she could remember the name of the game. She couldn't remember what it was called, but she did remember that the board had constellations on it that you "conquered" by answering the trivia questions in the books. She was absolutely certain that one of the constellations was Ophiuchus. I vaguely remember that another might have been Gemini. So, the object was to take over constellations by answering questions for an individual star. It seems like not all of the zodiac signs were on there because the board would have to have been much bigger. My sis also said that the four old men characters were most likely real scientists, and she thought that one or more of these guys was Greek. So the title of the game may be in Greek.. who knows.. it's all Greek to me...

Does anyone have any ideas yet?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoff King
United States
Annandale
Virginia
flag msg tools
I tried doing an advanced search for space exploration and trivia.
Is this it?

Passports to the Planets
http://boardgamegeek.com/game/12618
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Weintraub
United States
Commack
New York
flag msg tools
badge
Lock him up!
mbmbmbmbmb
Still nothing; looking through all games from 1950(!) through 1990 that are marked as "trivia" in theme, I came up with:

Campus tietokilpailupel - http://boardgamegeek.com/game/30178

Constellation Station - http://boardgamegeek.com/game/7968

Good Heavens! - http://boardgamegeek.com/game/18241

but I dont' think any of these are it. You tell me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jessica Broadway
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
I took a look at all the links you guys posted, but unfortunately, none of those are it either. I've been searching the database over and over, scouring Google, and going through Ebay.... and no results yet. I'm beginning to wonder if maybe it wasn't a UK game..? I really doubt my parents would have intentionally bought and imported a game from another country though... unless they somehow found it in an outlet mall. -_-

I guess everyone had something when they were a child that somehow got lost or sold along the way.. and then they can't find a replacement for it later in life. It just would be nice to see what the game really was about, now that I could understand it.

Thank you both again for continuing to help my search!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Billy McBoatface
United States
Lexington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
KGS is the #1 web site for playing go over the internet. Visit now!
badge
Yes, I really am that awesome.
mbmbmbmbmb
OK, it's a stretch, but here's an old astronomiy-related trivia game: I.Q. 2000

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Suzan
Netherlands
Enschede
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
U.F.O.ria
Solar Space Maze
Star Hop: Game of the Cosmos
?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jessica Broadway
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
Thanks for posting more links and trying so hard to help me find my game. =) I appreciate everyone's help! Unfortunately, I just can't seem to find it .. at all. There weren't any planets in the game or on the board, it was strictly stars on the board, in constellation form. I'm beginning to think that we had the one and only copy of it. I just wish it hadn't gotten lost/sold all those years ago so I could share the coolness of it with everyone. If I DO happen to find it, I'll be sure and add it to the database, and post it here for all to see. Thanks again, so much, for everyone's time and willingness to help.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.