Subject: FFG Live: What’s in the pipeline for Descent? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jim
Canada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Little late here, so apologies if this has been posted already, but came across the following in the FFG Live article with Andrew Navaro (September 6th):

What’s in the pipeline for Descent?

Q: Will FFG ever produce the missing twelve heroes from Descent First Edition for Descent Second Edition?

AN: No.

Q: Will there be any further development for Descent Second Edition, not counting the app, but physical content?

AN: No.

Q: Will there be a Descent Third Edition?

AN: *laughs* Not necessarily. But we are working on something Descent related that I’m incredibly excited about. I think it’s easily one of the coolest, most ambitious things we’ve ever done.

Q: And you said specifically Descent related, not Terrinoth related?

Well, Descent / Terrinoth, same thing, but Descent specifically, yes.

----

Full article here:

https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2019/9/6/scry-the...

Looking forward to see what the new 'Descent Related' content is! (And again apologies if this has already been posted.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Cohen
United States
Shrewsbury Township
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, that’s interesting. I wonder if they are going fully digital with Descent now? And we have a confirmation that physical D2e is capped and done! Bravo folks, thanks for a great game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert
United States
West Milford
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Hopefully “related” doesn’t mean a choose your own adventure theme.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julian Leite
msg tools
mbmbmb
It's really hard to speculate what they could be brewing. We know it's not Descent 3, but it's not quite Descent 2e. We know it's not new physical D2e stuff and that it's grand in scope. But it IS Descent. What that means idk, but we could assume it would play close enough to D2 to be qualified as Descent. It won't be, say, an LCG.

A fully digital Descent 2e is eligible, but idk how grand the scope is.

A massive legacy style campaign for RtL could be possible, but I can't see them pouring so much into RtL when they're not pushing new plastic. Maybe if the campaign cost money itself.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Felipe
msg tools
mbmb
I hope it’s a grand campaign with all the 2nd edition contents.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas King
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It could just be an entirely new game that is branded Descent because it's Terrinoth and dungeon themed but not in the style Descent was with a grid and minis.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clayton Threadgill
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Since Runebound 3e is also dead, maybe they're planning a campaign-style board game that mixes the two, along the lines of what they did with Journeys in Middle-Earth.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leon
Germany
Passau
Bavaria
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I am only hoping an app is optional and not mandatory as this would kill my interest completely.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Calvin Baker
United States
Carlsbad
New Mexico
flag msg tools
Hey-You Looked! Been on BGG for a couple years and just getting around to this...
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you for sharing this.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas King
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
hooliganj wrote:
Since Runebound 3e is also dead, maybe they're planning a campaign-style board game that mixes the two, along the lines of what they did with Journeys in Middle-Earth.
It's possible. Though it might lean more dungeon crawl than JiME since they seem to be branding it a Descent game instead of Runebound. That could also just be a case of Descent being the bigger, more successful game so that's the name they want on the box.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T France
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Perhaps a campaign “map” to play through, with Descent dungeons being entered occasionally (ala 1e RtL?)...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The all-seeing, all-knowing, all-trollin' Mike Hutton
United States
moline
illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Would love to see a reskin in the marvel universe

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cris Bohde
United States
Noblesville
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mhutton wrote:
Would love to see a reskin in the marvel universe

I'm sure that's coming eventually... the Card Game is easy to produce and get to market quickly (which is probably why they started with that to announce the Marvel license), and we already know a "Legion" 1v1 style game is in the works (though not directly by FFG, but by a smaller studio working with FFG/Asmodee).

It's only a matter of time until we get some form of Marvel "dungeon crawler"

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T S
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
hooliganj wrote:
Since Runebound 3e is also dead, [/i].

Apart from the RPG isnt everything in Terrinoth dead?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julian Leite
msg tools
mbmbmb
hooliganj wrote:

Hopefully it plays nothing JIME if this happened.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas King
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Torkijo wrote:
hooliganj wrote:
Since Runebound 3e is also dead, [/i].

Apart from the RPG isnt everything in Terrinoth dead?
I wouldn't say Descent 2nd Edition is dead, it's finished. They released a ton of content for it, and it had about the same life span as other games they "concluded." FFG doesn't really do evergreens like other companies. They don't want the same game in print for 15 years, they want to make new versions of old games. They seem to support a line for about 6-7 years, more if it's an LCG. I think the LotR LCG is their longest-running game that's still in 1st Edition.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cris Bohde
United States
Noblesville
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I would assume that whatever they're cooking, it probably involves the RtL app, since they've said multiple times there's no more physical content coming...

Maybe they're creating a campaign in the RtL App that lets you be the Overlord, against app-controlled heroes?

Or, allowing a way to submit community-created content for the RtL App?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benjamin Goertz
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
NA NA NA NA . . .
mbmbmbmbmb
Montag451 wrote:
It could just be an entirely new game that is branded Descent because it's Terrinoth and dungeon themed but not in the style Descent was with a grid and minis.

There are already a few games they have done this with (Heroes of Terrinoth for example). If the game was in the world but different, they wouldn't call it Descent. If it was close in style to 2nd Edition, then they would slap that 3rd Edition title on. Whatever they are talking about definitely has a feel of digital continuation.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas King
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
BenJazz wrote:
Montag451 wrote:

There are already a few games they have done this with (Heroes of Terrinoth for example). If the game was in the world but different, they wouldn't call it Descent. If it was close in style to 2nd Edition, then they would slap that 3rd Edition title on. Whatever they are talking about definitely has a feel of digital continuation.
Anything is possible. But they may be moving the brand away from Runebound and making Descent the main title of the brand. Heroes of Terrinoth doesn't seem to have done that well, so the "Terrinoth" name itself might not be great for the brand. Legacy of Dragonholt didn't even have Runebound or Terrinoth in the name or a subtitle and seems to be the only big hit the franchise had since Descent 2nd Edition. It's not a very strong brand these days, but it has strong titles. Whatever they're doing, keeping the Descent name could be just a case of saving the series from the disappointments.

But it's all speculation. It certainly does seem that FFG is enjoying success with app integration. It's done well for MoM, Descent, IA, and JiME.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julian Leite
msg tools
mbmbmb
Montag451 wrote:
It's not a very strong brand these days, but it has strong titles. Whatever they're doing, keeping the Descent name could be just a case of saving the series from the disappointments.

I don't find this to be true. I think any other company would LOVE to have this Terrinoth universe. Those companies don't have the opportunity cost of making GoT, LOTR, and SW games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas King
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jubez187 wrote:
Montag451 wrote:
It's not a very strong brand these days, but it has strong titles. Whatever they're doing, keeping the Descent name could be just a case of saving the series from the disappointments.

I don't find this to be true. I think any other company would LOVE to have this Terrinoth universe. Those companies don't have the opportunity cost of making GoT, LOTR, and SW games.
It's just a generic fantasy setting. The setting is nothing. It's the mechanics and FFG's track record that make people more aware of the series. And yet sales don't seem to have been great lately for the games outside LoD. Only FFG knows for sure, but the lack of releases for basically every game in the Terrinoth setting and the short life span of Runebound 3rd Edition, Battle Lore 2nd Edition, and Runewars Miniatures game, says something, doesn't it?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Florian
Germany
flag msg tools
Montag451 wrote:
jubez187 wrote:
Montag451 wrote:

It's just a generic fantasy setting. The setting is nothing. It's the mechanics and FFG's track record that make people more aware of the series. And yet sales don't seem to have been great lately for the games outside LoD. Only FFG knows for sure, but the lack of releases for basically every game in the Terrinoth setting and the short life span of Runebound 3rd Edition, Battle Lore 2nd Edition, and Runewars Miniatures game, says something, doesn't it?

I have to agree to this. I came to decent because I was intrigued of the concept of the overlord and a more or less balanced play. Drizzt or Heroquest were not that great.

Only widely known franchises like LotR or Star Wars attract enough people for a game on their own.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julian Leite
msg tools
mbmbmb
Montag451 wrote:

Well, I was including having the lines of games as well as the universe itself. But anyways, it may be "generic fantasy", but I don't know many board game universes that are any more fleshed out. I've played the Thunderstone series, Mage Knight, Pathfinder games and Terrinoth games have stronger flavor than those. The Genesys RPG book really took it to the next level and I came to find out there is some seriously rich history and lore in the world. Unfortunately it's arriving really late to the party and Descent, the series biggest game, has the most abysmal and sporadic story telling that it might as well just not even try. Some of the app campaigns, however, do help flesh out the world (Embers of Dread teaches you about the religion, Margath, the third darkness. Seeds of Corruption teaches you about the Aenlong, Ynfernael, and Nerekhall).

As for sales, it's really hard to look at a game like Battlelore, that got 6+ expansions, a scenario builder developed for it, and an entire app version and write it off as a flop. If the game flopped there'd be a base game and that's it. Chances are it got halted for RW Minis which (obviously) couldn't contend with Legion. Runebound 3 (a game I adore) was confirmed a flop, but not because people don't care about the setting, it's because they made divisive decisions such as the tokens and making it PvP only.

Either way, Andrew gave it a hard "no" when he was asked if they were moving away from Terrinoth. His answer was more along the lines of "we're just getting started." Hopefully the newer games use more narrative and pull more from the Genesys Source Book.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas King
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We'll have to agree to disagree. The Terrinoth setting was more interesting and less generic during Descent 1st Edition and Runebound 2nd Edition. When they started revising the games, they cut out a lot of lore that made the setting more interesting.

jubez187 wrote:

As for sales, it's really hard to look at a game like Battlelore, that got 6+ expansions, a scenario builder developed for it, and an entire app version and write it off as a flop.
Battlelore 2nd Edition was only supported for 2 years, compared to the 5 years and the 16 listed expansions for 1st Edition on BGG. Take that for what you will.

None of the Terrinoth wargames were ever finished. Runewars, Battlelore 2nd Edition, and Runewars minature game never had the dwarves faction released for one. They all included the same sets of factions, then ended support before Terrinoth was ever fully explored.

Regardless of why Terrinoth games aren't selling well, it does not do any favors for a recognizable brand. Success is its own marketing. Failure is counter to that. From my point of view, the Terrinoth setting and its games are having trouble. Few games are currently supported and there's not much on the horizon.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim
Canada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
The Terrinoth setting was more interesting and less generic during Descent 1st Edition and Runebound 2nd Edition. When they started revising the games, they cut out a lot of lore that made the setting more interesting.

This I completely agree with; having gone back and obtained all of 1E and the giant share of 2E Runebound.

I found the Realms of Terrinoth RPG book - for myself (emphasize: 'just my opinion here') - a disappointingly tepid, almost 'for kids' rendition of the lore, and suggestion of depth to that lore spread over those earlier inclusions in the Terrinothian 'canon'.

TBH this less crunchy lore began in 2E, yet in the end most of the 2E content just didn't go that far into it, rather it seems pulling back on it. That's a shame, as I think it would have been elevated by it, lifting it perhaps above the 'generic' (and even bland) labels in which I have heard it occasionally described. When it is discussed at all.

Well, that's my 2 cents here and probably worth as much!

-----

As a side note, for those looking to Mine things Terrinoth for their own purposes, definitely have a look at the book ELSEWHERE, the Fantasy Art of Jesper Ejsing. The look and artistic feel of 1E Descent and 2E Runebound is embodied in his work (he did those wonderful boxes), and even when he moved on from work with FFG its clear Terrinoth is this strange ELSEWHERE.

Enjoy!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   |