Talisman (Revised 4th Edition)» Forums » Sessions

Subject: The story of me being skipped the whole game rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
mathias van butsele
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Highland/Woodland/Dungeon. Dragons. Sacred pool/Reaper/Frost march/some of the bloodmoon (no time or werewolf mechanics cards)/some of the cataclysm.

Board expansions homeruled : When a deck from any expansion gets exhausted, this expansion board crumbles and is removed. All cards remaining in are discarded. If there are any characters still in when the Region crumbles, they are placed safety in the main board space that was linked to the expansion (ruins if it was the Dungeon, crags if it was the highland or forest if it was the woodland). Pretty easy to understand. Makes the clock ticking for any character when they go in Highland, Dungeon or Woodland. One unique full exploration of those Regions before going back to the main board arena.

Dragon homeruled : no Dragon tower or inner dragon region, no draconic lord to fight in the end. If a draconic deck is exhausted then every token from this draconic lord is removed along with the draconic lord, we do not shuffle his deck to draw cards from again. Makes the Dragon expansion some kind of lonnnng rain to endure.
Additional homerule, we do not start drawing dragonscales at the start of the game. We start drawing dragonscales once a Dragon Enemy has been killed or destroyed (such as by Destruction spell) or discarded (due to the Tumbling boulder Event, for example). Then the Dragons rain.

Woodland homeruled : we do not pick 1 Pathcard among 3. There is just the Pathdeck facedown we draw only 1 card from, but we may draw one if we wish. The Meeting with destiny space remains locked for those who go to the Woodland without drawing a Pathcard. Instead, they continue their movement counterclockwise if their movement is confronted to the locked area (if you start your turn in the Mab's lair space and roll 2 for movement, you may either land on the Bog space -counterclowkwise- or going clockwise -Mab's lair) just like the other game many amateurs like to compare Talisman with. One character may only have 3 Destiny cards (one additional allowed thanks to the Lia Fal magic object. A character with already 3 destiny cards still can draw a pathcard and resolve the Meeting with destiny space on it, but will not gain any other destiny.
Once the pathdeck has been exhausted, no other path may be drawn, then the Meeting with destiny space remains locked for everyone.

Duel. Me as the Highlander and a loyal fellow with the Sage.

Tranquil start in the Outer region, we both collect trophies and stuff and lose a life. We start to alternate between main board and Highland. We lose life and refresh at the Chapel, no dark fate spent so far. Portent Event, I draw Discard a weapon quest.

Things get complicated for me when I became a 2 lives left. The Sage draws Amphiptere (means he knew that he was drawing it) in the Highland and kills (and that he would kill it) it thanks to the Warhorse he drew a few turns before.

At this point we begin to draw Dragonscales (was the Sage's intention). I cannot land on the Chapel (The Sage spent sure I did not, my roll does not want me to neither), and am forced to walk clockwise around the Ruins.

The Sage lost the Warhorse thanks to a Varthrax rage.

I escape a venomous dragon thanks to my invisible potion.

At a very moment, my movement roll of 6 gives me no choice. I have to venture into the Woodland. I decide to draw a path card. In my mind the Sage is more gifted here and I would be stronger if I ruined his potential by exhausting the pathdeck. So I went in, drew Warrior's path. I smiled to myself, until I drew the Luck Fairy.
Fortunately the Sage had already spent his dark fate to prevent me from landing on the Chapel, and I rolled 4.
Next turn I draw the Puck Stranger. The Sage is now a toad for 3 turns.
I keep staying in the Woodland (not for too long) and draw the Verdant talisman, lucky coin and Titania's wand !! wich is a powerful but random magic object requiring a lot of fate from us. The spell taken from the Spell deck was Immobility. I was thinking, with a lot of fate I could skip the Sage's turns for a while. I heal 1 life at the faerie ring.

Then I go back to the main board and land on the Village. I buy a sword and complete my quest. I draw a reward quest, the one to be discarded at anytime to gain my full complement of spells, except that I am still Base Craft, useless for me.

I land on the Woods in the middle region, wich contains a Cadorus token. Cadorus is not the king, even so I encounter the scale. Heard so many strangers at the Tavern talking about so many Cadorus treasures, had to see. Draw the Luck Dragon follower.

Let me show you the potential.

Now start skipping the Sage's turn every turn. I have to spend my fate carefully, if I decide to use the Immobility spell from Titania's wand to evade a creature, the Sage will play next turn. Makes me think hard.

The Sage manages to cast a lot of spells even so, such as Sleep wich prevents me from replenishing the required fate to skip his turn, so he can play. But things seem to favor me, he seems to get stuck with a spell and on the same space thanks to my Tiania's wand's spell.

I see the future and me landing on the Crown while he still cannot move.

Unless i eventually land on the City, with a varthrax token. Varthrax is not the king, and I do not encounter the scale but the Varthrax warrior standing here. I collect the scale, and visit the Enchantress.
I was aware and have experimented more than once "roll 1 reroll 1". At this point of the game, I could not see why visiting the Enchantress would be representing the only danger for me.

Rolled 1, rerolled 1, the sage took it all, finished the game alone, playing alone, with me drawing 6 other characters remaining on their starting space. Was skipped for approximately 148 of my 150 last turns.

Amazing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ralph Tricoche
United States
Bronx
NY
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I love Talisman. It's one of my all time favorites.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mathias van butsele
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I know Talisman since only 2016, but I can see why you say so. This particular game was expeditive, even though it last 5 hours, as the ending was written from the moment I was turned into a toad.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Qwerty Cat
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Good story!

I like your ideas of crumbling corners when decks are depleted.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mathias van butsele
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Cats 4 Mice wrote:
Good story!

I like your ideas of crumbling corners when decks are depleted.
In order to make every card, every encounter from each card, happen once during the game. One game = one chance for each card !
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls